Underworld

ARC-CO: White Wolfs got the setting to create a whole mythology here. Makes me wonder why they never did something big, anime style, like Lodoss War (long story over many episodes covering many different races). They certainly have all the right stuff to get it on track. Dream on, I guess. Films with less content than 1 book of WhiteWolf still bring in 10s of millions. When will WhiteWolf wake up? Maybe after taking a good chunk out of the proceeds of the lawsuit and/or seeing the box office scores. Maybe…

Saw it yesterday, was really good.

vampires + automatic weapons = good times

Kate is super hot. I believe her outfit was leather & weighted about 30 lbs. She said she had trouble filiming 'cuz it was so heavy.

Oh yeah, do not take your kids to see this! Anyone under 13 who sees this will not be sleeping for a week!

Finally found out what ticked me about the heroine.

Too much Anime style.

You know, always looks perfect, unstoppable, fearless, never misses any shot or stab, always focused, always has the right move, only gets 2 scratches in the movie, the sword swing move… been there, seen that…

Sound like Dragon Warrior’s heroes, more specifically the babe with the dragon head helmet.

I thought the Lycans did a pretty good job on tallying up the body count, even though they were outnumbered.

And the reason for the war WAS covered in the movie.

Head werewolf dude was awesome IMO.

There is absolutely no way I’m going to see this movie now. I’ll wait. Until the DVD. And then I’ll even think about it.

From what I’ve read, this movie is doing to vampires and werewolves what Resident Evil (the movie) did to zombies: made them B.O.R.I.N.G.

I’d rather watch our An American Werewolf in London, The Howling, and Near Dark DVDs’.

And don’t tell me that since I haven’t seen it I don’t know what I’m talking about. Trust me, I KNOW exactly what I’m talking about. I’m just so dissapointed in that here was a terrific premise to base a movie on a war between vampires/werewolves and all they did was string several superficial shots that could have been used in a MTV video together. That’s it. What happened to the original idea of a “Romeo & Juliet”-type story? Gone.

Tonight I’m seeing “Bubba Ho-Tep”, a movie much more deservant of my money and a movie that should be seen by as many people that wasted their money on “Underworld”.

I don’t concider my money wasted. It was a good movie, and actually more storyline to it then I thought there would be.

Bump on Bubba Ho Tep! I heard it was awesome! Can’t wait to see it myself.

The movie kicked ass.

I was going to give it a B- but now that I learn it was made for $23mm I’ll have to kick it up to a B+.

Two things annoyed me (besides Kate Beckinsele (sp?) acting). One - the rain. Lots and lots and lots of rain. I understand that its a night movie because there are vampires involved, but why in the hell does it also have to rain every night? Two - 60 shot clips for guns. More specifically the opening sequence where bullets are flying left and right but Kate never stops to reload.I don’t expect a whole lot of realism in vampire vs. werewolf movies but when they later show the guns as having 15 rounds, come on, show em reload.

WEAPON X: For the weapons, I dont know if it exists in real life, but it was the first time I saw a full-auto handgun. Didnt seem to have too muck kickback either.

And, yes, where did they hide all those bullets ? If the handgun fires at a machine gun rate, the bullets better be damn small to all fit in a standard looking gun.

Go figure.

My money wasn’t wasted I enjoyed the movie! They did good with what they had. My complaint was it was a rip off of whitewolfs setting. Had I not know of their setting I would have rated the movie much higher. As for the “Romeo and Juliet” part of the movie. This was done perfect! Why? Well you get the idea that they are in love whatever, but, they as characters don’t pursue it yet or make a big issue out of it. Why? Well I don’t know about you but I’m not going to get all romantic when I have vampires and werewolves chasing me. Hurah for that part of the movie. The story was actually good in that it had a nice flow and a few good twists but wasn’t at all confusing. :wink:

RDragon: Yeah the head wolf was kickass so was the big black guy wolf. :wink:

Dan: Your right she was bit too perfect. Minor complaint. Back to your earlier post…I have no idea why they haven’t made a movie. It could be so good…great, excellent!!! However it could also be very bad. Think of all the stuff to explain and how complicated it can be with all the different vampire clans. All of which have different…or mostly different powers and world views etc. Same with the wolfs and mages. Also that some vampires could be very unvampire…I can hear it now from someone watching the movie…“why can’t that vampire see in the dark but the other one can?” etc. etc. :slight_smile:

Weapon X: Yeah did seem to have quite a few bullets in that gun eh? I just thought it might be an 18-C or what ever that auto pistol with the 30 round clip is. Although she didn’t have an extended clip on the gun. Doh you got her Weapon X. :wink:

I could have been happier with this one, but it wasn’t bad.

I spent way too long being confused about what the hell was going on, though.

I thought both the vampires and the werewolves were a lot weaker than I was expecting. Christ, the vamps were stronger on “Buffy.”

My 13 year-old liked it a lot.

I guess I didn’t see the same movie as the rest of you, becuase this movie was absolutely terrible. You name it, this movie didn’t have it: action, plot, interesting characters, suspense, good effects… The bad movies always seem longer than we are, my whole body was aching from boredom by the time this thing wrapped up. There wasn’t an original bone in this movie’s body. Hell, they even ripped off that Matrix bell sound effect (you hear it when they pull up to building where Neo meets morpheus). There is absolutely nothing worthwhile in this thing to recommend to anyone.

Will be going to see this with my son in a few days.
Pat - I think you are a little too serious about this stuff. I even liked the Core – possibly the worst movie I’ve ever seen, just because we had so much fun ripping on it. There is something to be said for bad cinema as a source of humor, esp when it is unintentional.
As for this one, I am psyched to see it, esp after seeing Kate on Conan. What a great looking chick. I am not familiar with the whole “whitewolf” thing or any pre-existing vamp vs werewolf storylines, so that won’t mess it up for me. Maybe in a subsequent post someone will explain this or name the book, game, etc where this all started.

This is even funnier. I was reading on the WW site that the one authour is in the law suit because she says that the movie directly rips from her novel/story published by white wolf. The novel(story) is called “Love of Monsters”. Hmmmmmmmm a vampire and a werewolf fall in love in the movie. Nah they didn’t copy nothing. Har har. Dickwads!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

white wolf IS sueing over this movie. i have followed this company very closely for quite some time-they publish some Very Interesting supernatural stuff. in a way this ruined the movie for me, but impressed me for others. in WOD (white wolf’s world) the strength of a werewolf is exponential to normal humans-even most vampires. for ex-if the human can deadlift 400, when he changes it goes to like 1200. so when the head vamp just walked up and choke slammed the lycan, i about pissed myself.

the movie is probably worth seeing once on dvd. it was not the worst movie ever-but it was lacking.

Yeah there is a huge press release on the white wolf website on the law suit. Go read it. :wink:

As for strength…well one it’s not white wolf but if it was…an elder vampire can be insanely strong. Okay I have to show my true nerdiness. :wink:

If the vampire is of low enough generation(low is better than high) he can have strength up to 10(really high) and then he could have a potence rating of 10 as well…effective strength 20. So…dead werewolf! And since Dave Tate has about strength 5…then strength 20 is alot! Werewolfs usaually have around 7 to 9 in full wolf form(Crinos). Yay me. Useless knowledge saves the day again! :wink:

Anyone familiar with Abberant? Another white wolf product. I wish they would make a movie of this. Great story ideas. :wink:

ARC-CO: Just wish that that Vampire does not engage a Wendigo who can call I-don`t-remeber-his-name-but-once-he-is-summoned-he-will-not-stop-stalking-you-until-you-are-dead spirit. Ah, nerd talk. My father is stronger than yours, too ;p

Hmmmmmmm can’t remember that wendingo power. I like the one wolf power…from the silverfangs tribe. The one that makes supernatural foes not supernatural(powerless) for a time. So nasty. What about the wendingo power that freezes you from the insides out!!! Still the nastiest (vamp) power ever is Vicissitude and Obtenebration is cool too. Nerd talk ahahh so good. My mother is a better cook than your mother. :wink: