T Nation

Underwear And Lovehandles

I’m not sure if this forum is where this thread belongs but I figured this was the best choice from the list of options.

It’s a simple question I have. Does anyone think or know if wearing underwear may increase the chances of someone having love handles or the “spare tire”. Seems awfully coincidental that the love handles sit right on top of the underwear wasteband.

I’ve often wondered whether or not the waistband might 'cause fat to build up there since there is a moderate amount of pressure applied to the skin from the waist band.

Anyone have any thoughts on that theory?

INteresting thought… however, i think its just coincedental that the fat build up is right above the waste band. Look at any super lean person and the obliques flare out there and even the lower part of the abs protrude a little more, think about it, does your grandpa have a compressed fat line by his armpits where he wears his pants?

its simply a fashion coincedence, who knows, in 30 years time, arm pit pants wil lbe back in fashion and i can pretty much gurantee you fat deposits will be the same.

[quote]SamuraiWannaBe wrote:
in 30 years time, arm pit pants wil lbe back in fashion and …[/quote]

let’s hope not

BRING IT BACK!

Solution:

Don’t wear underwear. Go commando.

There’s a difference between correlation and causality.

Or, in this case, I think you have the direction wrong. Underwear sit where they do because of the love handles, not the other way around.

[quote]HogLover wrote:
It’s a simple question I have. Does anyone think or know if wearing underwear may increase the chances of someone having love handles or the “spare tire”. Seems awfully coincidental that the love handles sit right on top of the underwear wasteband. [/quote]

It’s a framing and contrasting effect. The love handles are always there. The waist band just draws a line underneath them, making they are more noticeable. This effect is why fat people should always wear thicker belts.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
HogLover wrote:
It’s a simple question I have. Does anyone think or know if wearing underwear may increase the chances of someone having love handles or the “spare tire”. Seems awfully coincidental that the love handles sit right on top of the underwear wasteband.

It’s a framing and contrasting effect. The love handles are always there. The waist band just draws a line underneath them, making they are more noticeable. This effect is why fat people should always wear thicker belts. [/quote]

Thicker belts? Really? Why?

The thicker belt is an optical illusion, like a good ol 2 inch wide metal studded belt makes the area just below the love handles apear wider, hence making the love handles look smaller. Kinda like how black is a “slimming color”

side bar… I can’t belive I’m contributing this much to this thread…

[quote]SamuraiWannaBe wrote:
The thicker belt is an optical illusion, like a good ol 2 inch wide metal studded belt makes the area just below the love handles apear wider, hence making the love handles look smaller. Kinda like how black is a “slimming color”

side bar… I can’t belive I’m contributing this much to this thread…[/quote]

hahahaha… me either. I’m not looking for ways to minimize the appearance of love handles I’m looking for ways to minimize love handles. Thanks though.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Solution:

Don’t wear underwear. Go commando.[/quote]

There’s been a number of times when I’ve forgotten to bring clean underwear to change into after showering at the gym.

I swear I tried putting my underwear and pants up higher on my gut when I was in high-school just for that reason.

Unfortunately, it didn’t work, and just made red lines on my gut.

sigh I had a sad childhood.

[quote]HogLover wrote:
hahahaha… me either. I’m not looking for ways to minimize the appearance of love handles I’m looking for ways to minimize love handles. Thanks though.[/quote]

I know this sounds smart ass-ish, but the answer to minimizing love handles is losing fat.

Cueball

what you’re really asking is: " honey does this underwear make me look fat ? "

[quote]cueball wrote:
HogLover wrote:
hahahaha… me either. I’m not looking for ways to minimize the appearance of love handles I’m looking for ways to minimize love handles. Thanks though.

I know this sounds smart ass-ish, but the answer to minimizing love handles is losing fat.

Cueball[/quote]

Yea, it does sound a little smart ass-ish but it’s cool. I realize that minimizing love handles requires losing fat but it just seemed odd to me that there just seems to be a line under the love handles right where the underwear band sits so I was theorizing that maybe the fat just settles on that waistband since there is pressure there.

I knew it was probably a dumb question but hey… there’s no shortage of those on this website. We just all take the good with the bad.

I’ve actually got a kick out of some of the responses.

[quote]HogLover wrote:
cueball wrote:
HogLover wrote:

Cueball

Yea, it does sound a little smart ass-ish but it’s cool. I realize that minimizing love handles requires losing fat but it just seemed odd to me that there just seems to be a line under the love handles right where the underwear band sits so I was theorizing that maybe the fat just settles on that waistband since there is pressure there.

I knew it was probably a dumb question but hey… there’s no shortage of those on this website. We just all take the good with the bad.

[/quote]

Right on. My comment was made mostly in jest. Where are you in Arkansas? I grew up in Rogers.

Cueball

[quote]cueball wrote:
HogLover wrote:
cueball wrote:
HogLover wrote:

Cueball

Right on. My comment was made mostly in jest. Where are you in Arkansas? I grew up in Rogers.

Cueball[/quote]

I live in Conway.