Understanding Tipping

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Too cheap to part with a few bucks for a hard working waiter/waitress?
Stay home and eat.[/quote]

This (rubs forefinger and thumb together) is the world’s smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.

3 dollars an hour?!

Holy shit… An 18 year old waitress makes an easy 6-8 euro’s (8-11 dollars) an hour over here …

A night out with 2 people will run you an easy 120-150 dollars in the Netherlands. I ain’t putting 20% extra on there, I’m sorry.

I tip, and I tip well.

I get my drinks before people who have been there longer.
I get tables first
I have my drink on the table when I sit down at one place we go to for lunch, and our soup order is already in before he even comes over.
I haven’t paid for a dessert at this one particular place in years.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

This (rubs forefinger and thumb together) is the world’s smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.[/quote]

Like I said, stay home and eat, Cheapo.
Then you can do your little finger trick on your dick without offending anyone.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Good grief, do we really have to do this? Again?[/quote]

Hey, if we can have 5 threads a week to check, recheck, and triple-check what music everyone listens to before ripping into that 225 bench, then 2 on this is a given.

All I can say is, it doesn’t take anything to pop by the table and tell us our food is going to take a little longer. And is there some unwritten rule that once the food arrives, refills aren’t allowed? Those two things cause your 20-25% tip to drop to 10%

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Good grief, do we really have to do this? Again?[/quote]

Hey, if we can have 5 threads a week to check, recheck, and triple-check what music everyone listens to before ripping into that 225 bench, then 2 on this is a given.[/quote]

Where do you guys buy your pants?

here in Egypt they add 12% to your bill when you eat as a service charge. This gets split between all the staff who work there. If your server is particularly good you can leave an extra tip if you want.

But when you order delivery from say KFC, pizza hut or mcdonalds etc, the guy is given a scooter to deliver on but they don’t take a salary normally and there tips ont he door are all they earn, in this case its pretty customary to leave a decent tip. Normally rounded up the nearest £10 of the change.

I only eat what is cooked from home…never eat at resuturants, except the random trip to white castle.

Cooking your own food and taking it to a park or cooking at the park is much netter.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

This (rubs forefinger and thumb together) is the world’s smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.[/quote]

Like I said, stay home and eat, Cheapo.
Then you can do your little finger trick on your dick without offending anyone.
[/quote]

He makes a good point, if waiting table is really shit money, i dunno, don’t be a fuckin waiter then?!?

Although, when i was in the states and i ate out, the service is impeccable, chatty friendly service, food fast, refills fast etc and they definitely deserve a tip. Then when u get bk to the UK u realise how bad service is, pretty much drop ur plate on the tabele and they fuck off, no smiling no chatting just a bunch of miserable cunts!! No fuckin tip!

Although the minimum wage for any job in England is around $9 an hour so really they don’t need a tip, so they don’t give a shit. The only place i’ve found in the UK where the staff deserve a tip is TGI’s.

So how are you supposed to tip if you receive excellent service but your food was terrible/not good?

It’s not like tipping is a surprise. It’s part of the cost of some activities, pay to play. “if you ain’t got no money keep your broke ass home”

They don’t make $3.00 per hour (or whatever), the employer makes up the difference if they have to: http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

[quote]therajraj wrote:
So how are you supposed to tip if you receive excellent service but your food was terrible/not good?[/quote]

Very good point, its not the waiters fault if your food was crap, but if u finish the meal unhappy i suppose u wont tip even if the service was excellent. Coz u overall it was gash.

So, basically, if you live in [i][u]AMERICA[/u][/i] and don’t tip, then you are a stupid, douchey asshole.

Is it really any more complicated than that?

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
I tip, and I tip well.

I get my drinks before people who have been there longer.
I get tables first
I have my drink on the table when I sit down at one place we go to for lunch, and our soup order is already in before he even comes over.
I haven’t paid for a dessert at this one particular place in years.

[/quote]

You fat mess… let see, I’m white, from the east coast, male, and tip 20-30% for good service. I am treated well in places I frequent. On vacations I introduce myself to the bar staff with a $20, I have a mojito waiting for me as I walk up the the bar, every time I walk up to the bar. My drinks are full strength at all-inclusives, not the watered done shit most people get. Vodka goes from rubbing alcohol to grey goose.

I can also be ruthless when I get bad service, 5-10%. On more than one occasion I have flipped the receipt over and wrote a note describing in detail why they got a single penny for a tip(supposedly a bigger insult than no tip at all.) But these were complete douche bags that walked by the table like 10 times before greeting and taking drink orders, fucked up the food, never refilled drinks, and never checked back with us except to drop of the bill…basically sub-human crack addicted pieces of crap.

lol @ “don’t be a waiter.” If there are no waiters, there are no restaurants. Anybody who thinks that jobs are so incredibly prevalent, especially for the people who typically work for tips (people without a college degree, whether they’re working on it or not), is very out of touch. The idea behind tipping is that you are earning your money, and it gives you an incentive to work harder. If you’re getting the same salary no matter what kind of service you provide, what is your motivation to work any harder than what is necessary to remain employed? If, however, your base pay is only 4 or 5 dollars an hour, you’re probably going to be a lot more motivated to provide excellent service, so that you can make good money.

It’s disgusting how selfish and inconsiderate people are. There’s no “reasonable explanation” for being a shitty tipper.

I Always start at 20% and depending on service will go as low as 15%, but try to be as generous as I can w/o being ridiculous…I cant remember ever having truly horrible service where I would consider ever not tipping a waiter, waitress or bartender etc.

I do get confused on how much or should I even tip other people, so I just err on the side of caution and give a couple bucks, like the guy who patched up my tire, I gave him 5 bucks.