Understanding Tipping

[quote]groo wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:
By that reasoning, most countries of the world are like that.

Is Japanese an official language in USA? French? Portuguese? Can you find official documents in German or Korean?
Do people in the southern states have the duty to speak and understand Spanish?

[/quote]

We have no official language, and yes, many offical documents can be found in many languages.

For instance, in Oregon, the drivers licence test can be taken in the following languages:

English
Spanish
Russian
Korean
Vietnamese
Japanese

Sorry, no German. I guess most German immigrants speak English. Verstehen Sie?
[/quote]

That’s actually a very positive thing.[/quote]

See what you fail to understand is that this is how the world exists in the mind of us Americans.
So we don’t need all those other languages.

[/quote]

LOL @ Jesus and Meth

Hobbits

[quote]groo wrote:
Christine for you…just because…from the aforementioned cookbook chili verde, and I have made it…sorry about the formatting I’ll try to fix it a bit with an edit copy pasting works for shit with nook for pc.

Pork stews in New Mexico take on sublime flavors when poblano chilies which look a bit like very dark green bell peppers but have so much more flavor are in the stew pot. Do remember that poblanos can fool you: sometimes they are mild, sometimes they are medium hot. I love 'em either way.
Yield: 6 main-course servings
2 pounds poblano chilies (about 8)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds boneless trimmed pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 pounds onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
4 tablespoons minced garlic
2 jalape�??�?�±os, seeded and minced
1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, plus extra for garnish
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano (Mexican if possible)
6 cups chicken stock
A few teaspoons masa harina

1. Blacken the poblano chilies: Stick a fork in the stem end of each chili, then place the chilies directly over the gas flame on your range. Turn frequently and roast until the chilies are charred on all sides (it will take 5 to 8 minutes). If you don’t use gas, you can alternatively put them (minus the forks) under a broiler; turn occasionally with tongs until they’re charred. When chilies are done, place in a paper bag or in a large bowl covered in plastic wrap and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes.

2. After 20 minutes, peel off the blackened skin of the chilies. Cut the chilies in half; remove and discard seeds and veins. Chop the chilies finely. Set aside.

3. Heat a 6-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Pour in the oil, then brown the pork cubes on all sides, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go. It may be necessary to work in batches; you want the pork to get a nice crust. When finished, return all the browned pork cubes to the pan.

4. Add the onions to the pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring the meat and onions occasionally, until the onions start to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and keep stirring for another 2 minutes. Add the jalape�??�?�±os, the 1 cup of cilantro, and the peeled, chopped poblanos. Cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes.

5. Add the cumin, oregano, and chicken stock. Simmer the mixture gently over low to medium-low heat, covered, for 1 hour. The pork should be fork tender. If at any time during cooking the stew seems to need more liquid, add a little additional chicken stock. The likelier possibility is that the chile verde, after cooking, will be a little too runny. If this is the case: Just before serving, and over medium-high heat, sprinkle the chile verde with a little masa harina to tighten it up.
    Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Season to taste. Serve immediately, garnished with minced cilantro leaves. [/quote]
    I’m going to have to grab my Texas card back. Pork and chicken stock do not belong in chili.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]groo wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/null/recipes_with_photos?id=1498939&pageNo=0

A great chili verde recipe found here.

I have made it for my family several times and it has always been a hit.[/quote]
That does look like some good soup.

Chili, however, is red meat and chili gravy.

Chili gravy is tomato paste, chili powder, fresh chilis, garlic and some salt. Maybe a little black pepper and cumin.

That is all.

It can be topped with fresh diced white onions and corn bread and maintain it’s integrity as chili but it can’t be cooked with anything else. [/quote]
You must now give back your Texas citizenship. Real Texas chili has no tomato.[/quote]

Plus he forgot the beans.[/quote]
no beans in chili. Pork and beans are good though.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]groo wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/null/recipes_with_photos?id=1498939&pageNo=0

A great chili verde recipe found here.

I have made it for my family several times and it has always been a hit.[/quote]
That does look like some good soup.

Chili, however, is red meat and chili gravy.

Chili gravy is tomato paste, chili powder, fresh chilis, garlic and some salt. Maybe a little black pepper and cumin.

That is all.

It can be topped with fresh diced white onions and corn bread and maintain it’s integrity as chili but it can’t be cooked with anything else. [/quote]
You must now give back your Texas citizenship. Real Texas chili has no tomato.[/quote]

Plus he forgot the beans.[/quote]
no beans in chili. Pork and beans are good though.[/quote]

[quote]Edevus wrote:
By that reasoning, most countries of the world are like that.

Is Japanese an official language in USA? French? Portuguese? Can you find official documents in German or Korean?
Do people in the southern states have the duty to speak and understand Spanish?

[/quote]

We don’t have an official language.

Nobody is required to understand any language.

I can speak and understand Mexican, Guatemalan, and Venezuelan. I even know a little Spanish.

[quote]Christine wrote:
^
That does sound yummy. I love stews and winter is coming.[/quote]

Yes it is.

So is Game of Thrones season 2.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

I’m going to have to grab my Texas card back. Pork and chicken stock do not belong in chili.[/quote]

He was talking about Texas Chili, which in some cases is nothing more than meat, chili peppers, spices, and masa flour.

I don’t particularly like Texas Chili. At the very minimum I like tomatoes and beans. If I need to clean out the pantry then there will be carrots, onions, celery, and anything else I happen to find.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
I tip, and I tip well.

I get my drinks before people who have been there longer.
I get tables first
I have my drink on the table when I sit down at one place we go to for lunch, and our soup order is already in before he even comes over.
I haven’t paid for a dessert at this one particular place in years.

[/quote]

My husband and I tip and tip well when I have GOOD service. We tip based on service is how it should be so they can LEARN from it.

As far as the service you are describing, I would NEVER want to have that. I don’t drink or eat the same things all the time or want the certain drink or food at the exact times. Also, I wouldn’t want me to go first, because it’s not fair if I am not first. How can you live with yourself knowing you are CUTTING? What about people that are new that had never been there before, they may tip as well as you, but when you go first when you were second or third, that makes for bad service for other INNOCENT customers.

I NEVER want my servers to just bring me stuff and not let ME do the ORDERING. NO WAY, I want to have FULL 100% CONTROL of what I want in MY SERVICE that I am paying for.

I’d also rather pay for my dessert if it meant I got wonderful service in exchange for a freebie, because to me the freebie isn’t worth bad service.

9 times out of 10, the servers aren’t customers enough to fully understand how it would feel for things to go wrong to happen to them. Most of them NEVER experience the things me and my husband have experienced. I bet most servers never had wrong prices on their check for example or possibly never had someone get their order completely wrong or forgotten to be put into the computer. If you don’t know how it feels on the customer’s side, how can you know how you’d feel to serve in that caring manner?

How the food is cooked and how fast the food is cooked, YES, they can be VERY RESPONSIBLE for that:

1. They can put in the order wrong such as “Medium RARE”, but ordered “Medium Well.”

2. They can bring to the customer’s table an obviously wrongly cooked item such as food that you can see without touching the food such as bacon on the side of a plate that is not crispy that was ordered crispy or overdone fries(dark brown) which the customer asked if they can cook them not overdone, yellow, not brown.

How fast the food gets to you can very well sometimes be your server’s fault:

1. WHEN do you put in my order? Do you wait or do you go put it in immediately after taking it? If you are double sat or triple sat, you can still go put in each order into the computer after taking each table’s order. By not doing that can result in a much longer wait and that would be YOUR FAULT.

2. FORGETTING to put in an order. My husband and I have experienced this for REAL that servers ADMITTED to our faces they have FORGOTTEN TO PUT ORDERS IN. All of them were appetizers, bar drinks, and a cup of soup.

3. Did you put in the order CORRECTLY into the computer? Have had many times servers ADMITTED to our faces they did not do that correctly. Have had wrong entrees before due to our server putting in the order wrong. Have had wrong bar drinks too due to the server putting in the order wrong.

4. Did you FORGET ANYTHING I ORDERED such as a SIDE DISH? We have had this happen a number of times as well.

5. Did you DROP anything I ordered? Luckily, we have not had this happen, but I have seen a server once drop some fries from a plate before and I did have a waiter spill some margarita martini when pouring into a martini glass. In other words, it is possible, not likely, but very possible.

6. Did you remember to GET my food? We have had a server do that before. Also, we have had a number of servers forget bar drinks.

7. Did you bring out my food obviously correctly if you bring my food out? Do you realize how many times OUR OWN SERVER brings out DUH mistakes like the side dish is wrong, the entree is wrong, something obvious is not correct bacon that isn’t covered up isn’t extra, extra crispy when you can clearly notice that it isn’t without touching anything, etc.? Every DUH mistake you bring out is YOUR FAULT I am waiting for what I did order by you wasting my time bringing me the wrong item or wrongly prepared item or forgot something. While we all make mistakes, I would have to say a good 90% of the time, servers NEVER COMPARE THE WRITTEN ORDERS TO THE FOOD, because they are TOO LAZY and DON’T CARE!!

So when you say “NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FOOD”, you are SOOOOO WRONG:

90% of the time it’s the SERVER’S FAULT:

1. They can put in the order wrong into the computer or if it’s a written ticket they submit, they could have written something down wrong or hard to read.

2. They could have forgotten to put in the order in the first place.

3. Servers can also misunderstand what the customer is saying such as 2 times when I ordered 2 sides of bbq sauce and the stupid idiot servers thought I didn’t want bbq sauce on my ribs when I NEVER ONCE SAID I didn’t and I didn’t say “ON THE SIDE”, I SAID SIDES, which means extra. One of those times I said extra even.

4. Most mistakes with food are visible:

A. Condiments of any kind regardless of who brings out the food can be brought out by the server ahead of time.

B. If someone orders extra crispy bacon with their pancakes, then the bacon looks limp, not stiff, and you can even see some white fat on it, guess what? MY SERVER COULD HAVE SEEN THAT TOO AND TOLD THE COOKS IT WASN’T CORRECT, TO RECOOK IT INSTEAD OF BRINGING IT TO ME WRONG IN THE FIRST PLACE!

C. Any wrong side dishes or entrees are the fault of the server if they bring out the food even if they put in the order right. You can tell the difference between a baked potato and mac n’ cheese, yet, a waiter at Logan’s Roadhouse was so stupid as to bring me mac n’ cheese when I ordered a baked potato. I noticed it within 5 seconds of the food hitting my table. Like DUH a baked potato looks completely different from mac n’ cheese.

D. Any MISSING side dishes, appetizers, condiments, or entrees ARE the server’s fault if they bring out the food as well. Have had that happen a few times or so. Our servers aren’t blind, so they can tell if something is missing or not.

E. I have seen a red steak delivered to someone before at Outback which means let’s say the customer ordered their steak well done, that the server could have noticed the color difference as in your example a steak cooked rare instead of well done.

F. If something LOOKS burnt such as a piece of bread with the food and the person didn’t order it burnt, my server is at fault for serving me that.

G. If my server forgets an item that an entree or appetizer comes with, that’s their fault if they brought me my food without the item such as a side dish or ranch.

H. I have ordered at Outback my fries “lightly cooked” “Not overdone and yellow not brown.” I have had their fries before cooked the way I like them before many of times before this time I am talking about. This stupid waitress decided to blame the kitchen staff for REALLY DARK BROWN FRIES as if she was blind or something and my husband even told me he could see that they were really dark. My husband may not agree with me on every subject of course, but with that, you could EASILY tell just by LOOKING that those fries were overdone and very dark. She said she put in the order correctly. I am thinking, SO? I wish I could have said “Are you blind?” That was HER FAULT she DECIDED TO SERVE ME THOSE FRIES THAT WEREN’T CORRECT. I noticed the mistake within 3 seconds of my food being placed in front of me.

You can tell in this picture above the bacon is very crispy just by simply LOOKING at it.

You can tell in this picture above the bacon is NOT CRISPY, just by simple LOOKING at the bacon.

While the server didn’t “COOK” the bacon, it’s obvious to the SERVER’S EYES that one batch of bacon is crispy and the other isn’t to decide to BRING the food to the customer wrong or not. It’s my server’s fault if they decide to bring me the bacon that’s like in picture 2 if I ordered it crispy that she or he didn’t tell the cooks it was wrong and get them to cook the bacon more instead of SERVING it wrong. WHY bring it out only for the food to be sent back?

You can clearly see the fries are overdone in the picture above if the customer ordered them “NOT OVERDONE, lightly cooked.”

In this picture above, you can see the fries don’t appear overdone and the bacon is NOT CRISPY. If a customer asked for their bacon to be crispy, I would REFUSE to serve it and I would have enough CARING and COMMON SENSE to get that fixed BEFORE I brought it to the customer only to have the customer send it back or leave me a bad tip for not caring about their food.

My server’s job isn’t just to bring out what the kitchen staff gives them, it’s also getting the order OBVIOUSLY correct to the table as much as possible in order to get that good tip. As someone said on a blog or forum “They just want to be tipped well and will do pretty much anything reasonable to get your money”, which that IS VERY REASONABLE to think OUR SERVERS ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT THEIR TIP TO GET THINGS RIGHT TO HAVE A BETTER TIP!!

You can notice a lot of things on her plate in the picture above like if the customer asked for no sour cream, well DUHH, it’s STARING in your face. If the customer asked for a side of ranch(I would have), it’s missing, DUHH!! If the customer substituted fries for rice, well DUHH, that’s not on the plate.

Get what I am saying here? MOST of the mistakes happen due to either your server if they bring out the food or another server that doesn’t compare the ticket to the food(assuming the order was put in correctly by the original server of course).

You also can notice if someone has wing sauce “On the side” vs. “On the wings” themselves. This isn’t rocket science.

Most of the things that are wrong with the food can be caught by the server if they bring out the food, even if they didn’t cook it. If it’s another server, they can catch obvious errors on the ticket and menu(such as menu states the item comes with bbq sauce and the ticket doesn’t say “no bbq sauce”) if the ticket was correctly put in by the original server that took the order. Condiments(in bottles or on the side in containers) can always be offered to be brought out ahead of time REGARDLESS of WHO brings out the food to the table.

So most of the time when the food has something wrong with it, chances are, your server or another server could have caught the mistake before it got to you in most instances. I NEVER said ALL, but in most cases, it can be caught BEFORE bringing out the food(unless another server brings out the food with the ticket wrong), because then the original server that took the order is at fault for putting the order in incorrectly into the computer.

There are few rare cases where the food being wrong is the kitchen staff’s fault such as raw food(such as raw chicken), slightly undercooked or overcooked food that you’d have to CUT into to know if it was under or overcooked, or anything the server cannot see with their eyes unless they were to TOUCH the food. Things such as a pickle under a bun the server can’t notice unless they lift the bun, so unless they put the order in wrong, they wouldn’t be at fault, but in general most food mistakes can be caught BEFORE bringing the food to the table.

What I am saying is, MOST mistakes ARE PREVENTABLE by the SERVER if they bring your order to you that they can NOTICE things wrong by comparing those written orders to the plates of food.

Once a waiter at Chili’s said “The kitchen forgot” when I had ordered 2 sides of mayo and 1 side of mustard. The thing is, my waiter brought out the food, so NO, HE HE HE HE HE FORGOT, the kitchen staff didn’t step out the kitchen to bring me my food and forget obvious missing containers from my plate that aren’t covered up by anything. MY WAITER DID THOUGH!!

You walk in one room in your house with a plate of food, but forget the ranch. Even if your mom or significant other plated your food, which you even told her you wanted a side of ranch for your fries, but you bring it to another room. HOW IS THAT THEIR FAULT? It’s YOUR FAULT YOU LEFT THE ROOM WITHOUT THE RANCH AND DIDN’T NOTICE IT SINCE IT’S SOMETHING OBVIOUS YOU DON’T HAVE TO TOUCH TO NOTICE THE MISTAKE!!

Even if he didn’t bring out the food, that waiter could have prevented that type of thing from being forgotten since it needs no cooking to bring it out ahead of time. It is always the person bringing out the food that is at fault for any type of mistake that you don’t have to TOUCH the food to notice the mistake, unless of course, the order was put in wrong by the original server that took the order with another server bringing out the food. Of course unless, the kitchen goofs up, making it correctly even if the ticket is wrong, but that’s highly unlikely scenario.

I cannot believe you honestly think that the server is not at fault for most food mistakes. WE LIVED THROUGH THE “DUH” MISTAKES, SO WE CAN SEE WITH OUR EYES WHO WAS AT FAULT!!

We had a waiter once admitted he grabbed the wrong entree from the kitchen. It was just my husband and I. This waiter not only admitted he didn’t compare the WRITTEN ORDER with the entrees he was bringing out, but also we saw he had other entrees for another table that he didn’t ONCE get his pad of paper out to see WHICH ENTREE WENT WITH WHICH TABLE!! So 2 times he could have caught his mistake, but didn’t ***TRY HIS BEST AS HE SHOULD HAVE, because that’s HIS JOB!!

He admitted that he grabbed the wrong entree from the kitchen. He brought my husband fried shrimp w/fries when he ordered crawfish au gratin w/baked potato. Those items look NOTHING A LIKE, but yet THAT WAITER WAS TOO LAZY AND UNCARING TO VERIFY WHAT HE WAS BRINGING US!! We still left him 17% BTW, just to let you know since he profusely apologized TWICE and FIXED THE SITUATION IMMEDIATELY just about. We honestly shouldn’t have though, because that really didn’t make him LEARN anything. If I had to do it all over again, I would have tipped 13%. It’s because since that happened(a number of years ago, maybe like 4), me and my husband have had some terrible experiences. We have had good ones too of course, but the servers need to LEARN that they can’t just hand you ANYTHING like McDonald’s cashiers do. They are there to EARN a tip, NOT to just hand you anything.

It’s very rare that it’s not the server’s fault. Things like if I order no pickles if you took my order and brought out my food, which there are some pickles under a bun that you’d have to lift it to see it, unless you admitted putting in the order wrong, I will assume it’s the kitchen staff that is at fault and probably is.

Things like raw chicken tenders aren’t the fault of the server unless they are pink or something.

A slightly over or undercooked steak if the order was put in correctly is not the server’s fault.

Also, some people assume things as well, that end up being wrong.

My point is, MOST of the time, the server can prevent mistakes from getting to the customers and it IS INDEED MOST OF THE TIME THEIR FAULT THE CUSTOMER RECEIVES THE MISTAKES.

If another server brings out a wrong side dish or if they are missing items other than condiments, no it’s not the server’s fault if they put in the order correctly, but it still counts against the tip. It’s part of the service.

Why also is it when you say “no pickles” or “ONLY lettuce and onions”, they still have a pickle on the plate? WHY you servers can’t understand that if the customer states they don’t want pickles, that means on the plate, because otherwise, they’d specifically state they would have wanted it “ON THE SIDE.” Think about it. WHY do I keep having servers bring me some pickles on the plate when I ordered no pickles? NO SERVERS ARE BLIND OR ILLITERATE that they cannot determine any of the obvious errors that don’t have to be touched to notice the mistakes or mistake.

My point is, servers have just about ALMOST EVERYTHING to do with the food. You have ZERO CLUE OF WHAT YOU ARE TAKING ABOUT!! It’s not justifications to tip poorly if the service was bad and caused by your server.

Tasting like crap you are correct about that it’s not the server’s fault, but taking a long time can very well be your server’s fault. Read my previous posts.

It depends, if it’s like Cici’s where you pay up front and you get your own drinks, refills, everything, no OF COURSE NOT I don’t tip there, but if it’s a buffet where you pay at the table, you get refills, you get your order taken at the table, etc., I feel a buck a person should be tipped ONLY if the service is good though.

Think about it, if you are getting refills from a server at a buffet, it’s service just as if you were at in a regular restaurant setting.

If you pay at the table, they have to go ring it up and come back with your credit card or change. That’s still work, still service to tip for, unless however the service is bad of course.

If it’s like a Casino or Golden Corral where you pay up front, if they get you refills, I would still leave something. If they even bring you your first drink, that’s still some service to tip for, possibly a buck at least, again ONLY if the service is good of course.

[quote]Springs1 wrote:

9 times out of 10, the servers aren’t customers enough to fully understand how it would feel for things to go wrong to happen to them. Most of them NEVER experience the things me and my husband have experienced. I bet most servers never had wrong prices on their check for example or possibly never had someone get their order completely wrong or forgotten to be put into the computer. If you don’t know how it feels on the customer’s side, how can you know how you’d feel to serve in that caring manner?

How the food is cooked and how fast the food is cooked, YES, they can be VERY RESPONSIBLE for that:

1. They can put in the order wrong such as “Medium RARE”, but ordered “Medium Well.”

2. They can bring to the customer’s table an obviously wrongly cooked item such as food that you can see without touching the food such as bacon on the side of a plate that is not crispy that was ordered crispy or overdone fries(dark brown) which the customer asked if they can cook them not overdone, yellow, not brown.

How fast the food gets to you can very well sometimes be your server’s fault:

1. WHEN do you put in my order? Do you wait or do you go put it in immediately after taking it? If you are double sat or triple sat, you can still go put in each order into the computer after taking each table’s order. By not doing that can result in a much longer wait and that would be YOUR FAULT.

2. FORGETTING to put in an order. My husband and I have experienced this for REAL that servers ADMITTED to our faces they have FORGOTTEN TO PUT ORDERS IN. All of them were appetizers, bar drinks, and a cup of soup.

3. Did you put in the order CORRECTLY into the computer? Have had many times servers ADMITTED to our faces they did not do that correctly. Have had wrong entrees before due to our server putting in the order wrong. Have had wrong bar drinks too due to the server putting in the order wrong.

4. Did you FORGET ANYTHING I ORDERED such as a SIDE DISH? We have had this happen a number of times as well.

5. Did you DROP anything I ordered? Luckily, we have not had this happen, but I have seen a server once drop some fries from a plate before and I did have a waiter spill some margarita martini when pouring into a martini glass. In other words, it is possible, not likely, but very possible.

6. Did you remember to GET my food? We have had a server do that before. Also, we have had a number of servers forget bar drinks.

7. Did you bring out my food obviously correctly if you bring my food out? Do you realize how many times OUR OWN SERVER brings out DUH mistakes like the side dish is wrong, the entree is wrong, something obvious is not correct bacon that isn’t covered up isn’t extra, extra crispy when you can clearly notice that it isn’t without touching anything, etc.? Every DUH mistake you bring out is YOUR FAULT I am waiting for what I did order by you wasting my time bringing me the wrong item or wrongly prepared item or forgot something. While we all make mistakes, I would have to say a good 90% of the time, servers NEVER COMPARE THE WRITTEN ORDERS TO THE FOOD, because they are TOO LAZY and DON’T CARE!!

So when you say “NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FOOD”, you are SOOOOO WRONG:

90% of the time it’s the SERVER’S FAULT:

1. They can put in the order wrong into the computer or if it’s a written ticket they submit, they could have written something down wrong or hard to read.

2. They could have forgotten to put in the order in the first place.

3. Servers can also misunderstand what the customer is saying such as 2 times when I ordered 2 sides of bbq sauce and the stupid idiot servers thought I didn’t want bbq sauce on my ribs when I NEVER ONCE SAID I didn’t and I didn’t say “ON THE SIDE”, I SAID SIDES, which means extra. One of those times I said extra even.

4. Most mistakes with food are visible:

A. Condiments of any kind regardless of who brings out the food can be brought out by the server ahead of time.

B. If someone orders extra crispy bacon with their pancakes, then the bacon looks limp, not stiff, and you can even see some white fat on it, guess what? MY SERVER COULD HAVE SEEN THAT TOO AND TOLD THE COOKS IT WASN’T CORRECT, TO RECOOK IT INSTEAD OF BRINGING IT TO ME WRONG IN THE FIRST PLACE!

C. Any wrong side dishes or entrees are the fault of the server if they bring out the food even if they put in the order right. You can tell the difference between a baked potato and mac n’ cheese, yet, a waiter at Logan’s Roadhouse was so stupid as to bring me mac n’ cheese when I ordered a baked potato. I noticed it within 5 seconds of the food hitting my table. Like DUH a baked potato looks completely different from mac n’ cheese.

D. Any MISSING side dishes, appetizers, condiments, or entrees ARE the server’s fault if they bring out the food as well. Have had that happen a few times or so. Our servers aren’t blind, so they can tell if something is missing or not.

E. I have seen a red steak delivered to someone before at Outback which means let’s say the customer ordered their steak well done, that the server could have noticed the color difference as in your example a steak cooked rare instead of well done.

F. If something LOOKS burnt such as a piece of bread with the food and the person didn’t order it burnt, my server is at fault for serving me that.

G. If my server forgets an item that an entree or appetizer comes with, that’s their fault if they brought me my food without the item such as a side dish or ranch.

H. I have ordered at Outback my fries “lightly cooked” “Not overdone and yellow not brown.” I have had their fries before cooked the way I like them before many of times before this time I am talking about. This stupid waitress decided to blame the kitchen staff for REALLY DARK BROWN FRIES as if she was blind or something and my husband even told me he could see that they were really dark. My husband may not agree with me on every subject of course, but with that, you could EASILY tell just by LOOKING that those fries were overdone and very dark. She said she put in the order correctly. I am thinking, SO? I wish I could have said “Are you blind?” That was HER FAULT she DECIDED TO SERVE ME THOSE FRIES THAT WEREN’T CORRECT. I noticed the mistake within 3 seconds of my food being placed in front of me.

You can tell in this picture above the bacon is very crispy just by simply LOOKING at it.

You can tell in this picture above the bacon is NOT CRISPY, just by simple LOOKING at the bacon.

While the server didn’t “COOK” the bacon, it’s obvious to the SERVER’S EYES that one batch of bacon is crispy and the other isn’t to decide to BRING the food to the customer wrong or not. It’s my server’s fault if they decide to bring me the bacon that’s like in picture 2 if I ordered it crispy that she or he didn’t tell the cooks it was wrong and get them to cook the bacon more instead of SERVING it wrong. WHY bring it out only for the food to be sent back?

You can clearly see the fries are overdone in the picture above if the customer ordered them “NOT OVERDONE, lightly cooked.”

In this picture above, you can see the fries don’t appear overdone and the bacon is NOT CRISPY. If a customer asked for their bacon to be crispy, I would REFUSE to serve it and I would have enough CARING and COMMON SENSE to get that fixed BEFORE I brought it to the customer only to have the customer send it back or leave me a bad tip for not caring about their food.

My server’s job isn’t just to bring out what the kitchen staff gives them, it’s also getting the order OBVIOUSLY correct to the table as much as possible in order to get that good tip. As someone said on a blog or forum “They just want to be tipped well and will do pretty much anything reasonable to get your money”, which that IS VERY REASONABLE to think OUR SERVERS ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT THEIR TIP TO GET THINGS RIGHT TO HAVE A BETTER TIP!!

You can notice a lot of things on her plate in the picture above like if the customer asked for no sour cream, well DUHH, it’s STARING in your face. If the customer asked for a side of ranch(I would have), it’s missing, DUHH!! If the customer substituted fries for rice, well DUHH, that’s not on the plate.

Get what I am saying here? MOST of the mistakes happen due to either your server if they bring out the food or another server that doesn’t compare the ticket to the food(assuming the order was put in correctly by the original server of course).

You also can notice if someone has wing sauce “On the side” vs. “On the wings” themselves. This isn’t rocket science.

Most of the things that are wrong with the food can be caught by the server if they bring out the food, even if they didn’t cook it. If it’s another server, they can catch obvious errors on the ticket and menu(such as menu states the item comes with bbq sauce and the ticket doesn’t say “no bbq sauce”) if the ticket was correctly put in by the original server that took the order. Condiments(in bottles or on the side in containers) can always be offered to be brought out ahead of time REGARDLESS of WHO brings out the food to the table.

So most of the time when the food has something wrong with it, chances are, your server or another server could have caught the mistake before it got to you in most instances. I NEVER said ALL, but in most cases, it can be caught BEFORE bringing out the food(unless another server brings out the food with the ticket wrong), because then the original server that took the order is at fault for putting the order in incorrectly into the computer.

There are few rare cases where the food being wrong is the kitchen staff’s fault such as raw food(such as raw chicken), slightly undercooked or overcooked food that you’d have to CUT into to know if it was under or overcooked, or anything the server cannot see with their eyes unless they were to TOUCH the food. Things such as a pickle under a bun the server can’t notice unless they lift the bun, so unless they put the order in wrong, they wouldn’t be at fault, but in general most food mistakes can be caught BEFORE bringing the food to the table.

What I am saying is, MOST mistakes ARE PREVENTABLE by the SERVER if they bring your order to you that they can NOTICE things wrong by comparing those written orders to the plates of food.

Once a waiter at Chili’s said “The kitchen forgot” when I had ordered 2 sides of mayo and 1 side of mustard. The thing is, my waiter brought out the food, so NO, HE HE HE HE HE FORGOT, the kitchen staff didn’t step out the kitchen to bring me my food and forget obvious missing containers from my plate that aren’t covered up by anything. MY WAITER DID THOUGH!!

You walk in one room in your house with a plate of food, but forget the ranch. Even if your mom or significant other plated your food, which you even told her you wanted a side of ranch for your fries, but you bring it to another room. HOW IS THAT THEIR FAULT? It’s YOUR FAULT YOU LEFT THE ROOM WITHOUT THE RANCH AND DIDN’T NOTICE IT SINCE IT’S SOMETHING OBVIOUS YOU DON’T HAVE TO TOUCH TO NOTICE THE MISTAKE!!

Even if he didn’t bring out the food, that waiter could have prevented that type of thing from being forgotten since it needs no cooking to bring it out ahead of time. It is always the person bringing out the food that is at fault for any type of mistake that you don’t have to TOUCH the food to notice the mistake, unless of course, the order was put in wrong by the original server that took the order with another server bringing out the food. Of course unless, the kitchen goofs up, making it correctly even if the ticket is wrong, but that’s highly unlikely scenario.

I cannot believe you honestly think that the server is not at fault for most food mistakes. WE LIVED THROUGH THE “DUH” MISTAKES, SO WE CAN SEE WITH OUR EYES WHO WAS AT FAULT!!

We had a waiter once admitted he grabbed the wrong entree from the kitchen. It was just my husband and I. This waiter not only admitted he didn’t compare the WRITTEN ORDER with the entrees he was bringing out, but also we saw he had other entrees for another table that he didn’t ONCE get his pad of paper out to see WHICH ENTREE WENT WITH WHICH TABLE!! So 2 times he could have caught his mistake, but didn’t ***TRY HIS BEST AS HE SHOULD HAVE, because that’s HIS JOB!!

He admitted that he grabbed the wrong entree from the kitchen. He brought my husband fried shrimp w/fries when he ordered crawfish au gratin w/baked potato. Those items look NOTHING A LIKE, but yet THAT WAITER WAS TOO LAZY AND UNCARING TO VERIFY WHAT HE WAS BRINGING US!! We still left him 17% BTW, just to let you know since he profusely apologized TWICE and FIXED THE SITUATION IMMEDIATELY just about. We honestly shouldn’t have though, because that really didn’t make him LEARN anything. If I had to do it all over again, I would have tipped 13%. It’s because since that happened(a number of years ago, maybe like 4), me and my husband have had some terrible experiences. We have had good ones too of course, but the servers need to LEARN that they can’t just hand you ANYTHING like McDonald’s cashiers do. They are there to EARN a tip, NOT to just hand you anything.

It’s very rare that it’s not the server’s fault. Things like if I order no pickles if you took my order and brought out my food, which there are some pickles under a bun that you’d have to lift it to see it, unless you admitted putting in the order wrong, I will assume it’s the kitchen staff that is at fault and probably is.

Things like raw chicken tenders aren’t the fault of the server unless they are pink or something.

A slightly over or undercooked steak if the order was put in correctly is not the server’s fault.

Also, some people assume things as well, that end up being wrong.

My point is, MOST of the time, the server can prevent mistakes from getting to the customers and it IS INDEED MOST OF THE TIME THEIR FAULT THE CUSTOMER RECEIVES THE MISTAKES.

If another server brings out a wrong side dish or if they are missing items other than condiments, no it’s not the server’s fault if they put in the order correctly, but it still counts against the tip. It’s part of the service.

Why also is it when you say “no pickles” or “ONLY lettuce and onions”, they still have a pickle on the plate? WHY you servers can’t understand that if the customer states they don’t want pickles, that means on the plate, because otherwise, they’d specifically state they would have wanted it “ON THE SIDE.” Think about it. WHY do I keep having servers bring me some pickles on the plate when I ordered no pickles? NO SERVERS ARE BLIND OR ILLITERATE that they cannot determine any of the obvious errors that don’t have to be touched to notice the mistakes or mistake.

My point is, servers have just about ALMOST EVERYTHING to do with the food. You have ZERO CLUE OF WHAT YOU ARE TAKING ABOUT!! It’s not justifications to tip poorly if the service was bad and caused by your server.[/quote]

Wow…thats all I got to say.

Springs sounds like one of those customers who gets wet by berating the people who wait on her at restaurants.

Springs also sounds like the type of lass who has tasted her waiter’s pubes more than once.*

Here’s a hint: if dumb shit keeps happening to your food every time you leave the house, it’s probably you’re fucking fault.

*not suggesting she blew her servers, btw.

[quote]xxrob5xx wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:
October girl is foaming at the mouth right now. Just sayin’.[/quote]

Yea she does not believe in tipping.[/quote]

No… no… no… not true. I do tip.

I stated that I would prefer to pay more for the menu items and have the wait staff make a stable wage not dependent on the diners. I will pay more.

How is that not clear?

I will type slower.

BUT why are folks giving Edevus the time of day? He is such a troll.
ignore the European dude. He thrives on attention.

IGNORE HIM

[quote]Springs1 wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
I tip, and I tip well.

I get my drinks before people who have been there longer.
I get tables first
I have my drink on the table when I sit down at one place we go to for lunch, and our soup order is already in before he even comes over.
I haven’t paid for a dessert at this one particular place in years.

[/quote]

My husband and I tip and tip well when I have GOOD service. We tip based on service is how it should be so they can LEARN from it.

As far as the service you are describing, I would NEVER want to have that. I don’t drink or eat the same things all the time or want the certain drink or food at the exact times. Also, I wouldn’t want me to go first, because it’s not fair if I am not first. How can you live with yourself knowing you are CUTTING? What about people that are new that had never been there before, they may tip as well as you, but when you go first when you were second or third, that makes for bad service for other INNOCENT customers.

I NEVER want my servers to just bring me stuff and not let ME do the ORDERING. NO WAY, I want to have FULL 100% CONTROL of what I want in MY SERVICE that I am paying for.

I’d also rather pay for my dessert if it meant I got wonderful service in exchange for a freebie, because to me the freebie isn’t worth bad service.[/quote]

Not fair that a known good tipper goes ahead of an unknown quantity or someone that is clearly a very difficult patron. You are so precious. I have an question for you. If you go back to places that you’ve been at more than one time, do you ever get the same server? I’d guess most likely no as almost certainly they pawn you off on the lowest on the totem pole person there. When I did serve you sound like the reason we’d toke the hostess to seat us right. Right type of guests all night drop 50 bucks on her on a busy night. Well worth it.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

[quote]xxrob5xx wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:

I stated that I would prefer to pay more for the menu items and have the wait staff make a stable wage not dependent on the diners. I will pay more.

How is that not clear?

I will type slower.

IGNORE HIM

[/quote]

And this is coming from a person with a close-up picture of herself in an internet forum?
Funny.

You’re still hurt I made a parody of Knight Rider with you. I don’t even remember what was the thread about though.

[quote]Springs1 wrote:
I’m a colossal bitch.
[/quote]

Fixed that for you.

And LOL at the idea of a waiter/waitress having never been a customer in a restaurant. How dense and naive are you? Do they suddenly get to go in the back door of every place they eat and get food straight from the source? Is that one of the other secret privileges they enjoy that justifies your poor tipping.

Springs1: “If you’ll look at this color wheel I keep on me, you’ll see that the fries are overdone. The color is clearly a shade off.”

[quote]xxrob5xx wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:

How is that not clear?

I will type slower.

IGNORE HIM

[/quote]Edevus is funny. I see you are still as catty as always though.

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[quote]xxrob5xx wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:

How is that not clear?

I will type slower.

IGNORE HIM

[/quote]

And this is coming from a person with a close-up picture of herself in an internet forum?
Funny.

You’re still hurt I made a parody of Knight Rider with you. I don’t even remember what was the thread about though.
[/quote]

Well, I don’t think you’re a troll, but you’re definitely trolling in this thread even if it’s not intentional.

You never addressed the tomato issue. So any Spanish dish involving tomatoes is out, yes? Clearly a couple centuries is not NEAR long enough to create unique cuisine.