Overrated: counting steps

Underrated: pushups

11 Likes

Underrated:

• Playing sport

Overrated:

• Doing power exercises and conditioning to “be more athletic”
3 Likes

Overrated PEDs. They aren’t as magical as most people think. The huge guys would have been huge (just not as huge) without them, and no, you wouldn’t look like them or lift like them if you took the same things (99.9 percent of the time true). They will on average get you 20 lbs of lean tissue that you wouldn’t have had, if you take a lot of them for a long time, and you continue to take them.

1 Like

There was a period In the 1980’s that it was believed that ASS contributed an additional 10% to a power lifter’s total. That is if a power lifter could total 2,000lb total on AAS, that he could still get a 1,800lb total if he got off AAS for a year.

1 Like

Mobility work: Overrated
Conditioning as a means to improve mobility: Underrated. Go do a few dozen bear complexes and watch your hips and shoulders open up.

Counting Macros: Overrated
A wholistic approach to nutrition based on sound choices: Underrated

9 Likes

Overrated:
Rest days - for me there is always work that can be done and daily work makes me feel and perform better than sitting on the couch
Ice baths - Everyone seems to want to set in a cold bath to support recovery or reduce swelling. Movement is far more restorative than freezing your butt off.

Underrated:
Intense conditioning - nothing like feeling sick to make you better

2 Likes

I never do any mobility work at all besides training movements. This includes big barbell lifts in the past, introducing new kettlebell movements in the present and all of BJJ as I learned it. You don’t need to stop the bus and get out to do mobility work just because you don’t execute the movement well right off the bat.

3 Likes

On the stronger by science website there was an article by Greg Nuckols that said the same. He did caveat that if one were to use a lot of gear for a long time that he thought it could be higher. But most gear users are not willing to give up that much health in order to get those extra gains. I’ve known a few that really go at it, and I believe they have added more than 10 percent. But they are blasting grams of gear, and cruising on 500 mg to 1000 mg a week. I’m not willing to do that.

The more moderate users I know have lined up pretty well with that 10 percent rule. These guys aren’t just doing 500 mg of test a week either. Guys I know who haven’t ever taken AAS are usually surprised at how little the gear helped those others who went on.

The guideline was useful for a lifter in an untested federation, to give him an idea of what his total might be if he wanted to compete in a tested federation powerlifting meet. Most federations required the lifter to be drug free for one year, at least.

1 Like

Overrated
*Muscle ups-this is heresy in the calisthenics groups but hear me out, before lifting seriously all I did was bodyweight and was able to do sets of 10-15 clean muscle ups as a workout, now I weigh 30lbs heavier but I can still do Atleast 5 even tho I don’t practice the movement. Weighted pullups and rope climbs allow me to do this.

*band resistance on main movements
This is another controversial take,honestly Bands are useful in some ways like accessories or added to machines even,but all I did was spin my wheels banding and reverse banding exercises and I grew way more doing extended ROM and intensity multipliers with straight weight. Train like the guys in the 70’s80s90s before all the accommodating resistance craze

Underrated
*weighted pullups
This one I understand for bigger people they tend to opt for machines mainly out of convenience,but people really miss out,the grip strength,Ab and back/shoulder/bicep development, even your triceps & chest get activated to a degree on weighted pullups/chinups. They’re just superior.

*Weighted vests
This one is game changer for people in dieting/gaining phases or people who just want to stay leaner all year, not to mention jobs like LEO or military people who need to wear vests daily.wearing extra lbs and just walking tricks your body into burning the calories of a higher bodyweight effectively a hack for increasing NEAT or going heavy and doing basics like hill sprints/pushups/stair climbing/calisthenics/etc

3 Likes

Underrated: face pulls, Greek yoghurt, canned salmon, good mornings, db snatches and cleans

Overrated: fancy protein powders, curls (don’t kill me), most commercial probiotics, wrist wraps for KB work

2 Likes

Ugh!

4 Likes

Underrated:

Being good at bodyweight moves, especially dips and pull ups.
Being fast: running a mile in a reasonably good time
Learning new things: a sport, how to execute a clean, how to do a muscle up, others
Weight vests: walk in them, do calisthenics in them, etc

Walking and other NEPA: be active throughout the day in a way that’s also relaxing
Ring training: dips, pull ups, hanging leg raises, push ups, fall outs, all great.
Having a consistent diet: eat similar foods that are REAL foods each day.

Overrated

Isolation work. I know others disagree, but it wasn’t until I stopped doing curls and could do 20+ pull up that people asked “What’s your arm routine like?”
Jogging/SS Cardio: A little bit goes a long way. No need to spend hours on a cardio machine.
Preworkout and most supplements: People are looking for a miracle.
Counting calories: I don’t want to measure and weigh things, just eat clean.
Bench Press: I used to love this lift, but now I find ring dips and weight vest push ups serve me much better.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, they bother my elbows.

I did them two days ago and my elbows are pissed

1 Like

I love weighted walks, the only annoying thing is my arms going numb and sore traps, which messes with my neck

2 Likes

Probably preaching to the choir, but sleep is HUGELY underrated.

4 Likes

Underrated:

-cottage cheese and cans of tuna (w/ Siracha)
-Baby spinach
-Sleep, we all know it’s important but don’t get enough
-keeping a training log/book
-reviewing your logbook periodically and realizing how far you have come. Stop comparing yourself to others so much and realize what you already have accomplished.
-being patient
-experimenting with stuff in your training versus always asking someone for advice/permission if XYZ is a good idea
-Matt Wenning YouTube Videos (these are fantastic)

Overrated:

-social media stars
-carbonated water fruit-beer things 
just drink water or beer already!

5 Likes

I’m the only one that likes curls! That’s fine. @ChongLordUno will always be the only one that likes burpees.

This is a good point, though. As others have said: you have to find the right movements for you (that’s over or underrated depending how we phrase it- on topic for the win!).

2 Likes

Training from 2 days ago

@anna_5588 can fight me, curls are top notch!

4 Likes

Bros for life!

1 Like