Underhand Grip on BB Rows

Is an underhand grip on BB rows more effective than an overhand grip? Underhand seems more natural to me.

Same thing than with the pull-up.

Underhand grip will put more tension on the biceps and less on the back muscles.

I’ve heard that an underhand grip lets you get a better range of motion, but I feel stronger with an overhand grip. Yates used underhand and he had one of the best backs ever but I think he also tore his bicep doing these.

I like underhand grip better, but it feels like it puts less direct stimulation on my lats and rear delts. I feel it more in my biceps. About Yates, he was probably using like 500 pounds when he tore his bicep, so I’m not really worried about that happening to me anytime soon. He also would stand up fairly straight while doing them, which I’m pretty sure puts even more stress on your biceps/upper back.

Both are good. Use them for variety.

He was using 405 lbs when tore it. Here’s an article he wrote about if your interested.
findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_6_20/ai_98488493

[quote]Hagar wrote:
I’ve heard that an underhand grip lets you get a better range of motion, but I feel stronger with an overhand grip. Yates used underhand and he had one of the best backs ever but I think he also tore his bicep doing these. [/quote]

Was his back a direct result of this exercise? I doubt it.

Ronnie does overhand. Just mix it up a bit.