T Nation

Underage Drinking Fine

So Saturday night I got arrested. I was walking back to my residence from another residence. The security said I was causing trouble etc., which wasn’t true but beside the point. Anyway, they followed me when I left the residence. Security stopped me beside my residence and then the police pulled up literally a minute after. I was charged with under-age drinking (I’m 18) and public intoxication and spent the night in the drunk tank.

My question is is there anything I can do by going to the court date. I wasn’t causing trouble when the cops showed up, just walking to my room. I was buzzing but could easily function and didn’t act overly intoxicated. Probably a stupid question, but I want to try and reduce my fines, currently 570 dollars. BTW I live in Canada. thanks

i dont know canadian laws but i know a few people here in the states that got a lawyer and drastically reduced the fines, and in some states here is a misdemeanor and they were able to get that knocked off. if you know any lawyers ask them for some advice.

570 Dolars !!! Wow… How much is that compared to the average monthly salary? Something like one third? Is it like this in the whole USA? I never thought underage drinking fines where this brutal anywhere… I live in central Europe, and you will hardly meet anyone who ever got arrested for underage drinking (legal drinking age is 18, but anybody will sell you alcohol if you look 15+)

[quote]RaP1D wrote:
570 Dolars !!! Wow… How much is that compared to the average monthly salary? Something like one third? Is it like this in the whole USA? I never thought underage drinking fines where this brutal anywhere… I live in central Europe, and you will hardly meet anyone who ever got arrested for underage drinking (legal drinking age is 18, but anybody will sell you alcohol if you look 15+)[/quote]

One of my friends got an $800 fine back in the day…

There’s no such thing as an average salary for most young guys like that. Unless you’re working full time I’d say it could easily be half a months pay or more (at least the 800 was).

It’s super retarded.

[quote]colin1168 wrote:
So Saturday night I got arrested. I was walking back to my residence from another residence. The security said I was causing trouble etc., which wasn’t true but beside the point. Anyway, they followed me when I left the residence. Security stopped me beside my residence and then the police pulled up literally a minute after. I was charged with under-age drinking (I’m 18) and public intoxication and spent the night in the drunk tank.

My question is is there anything I can do by going to the court date. I wasn’t causing trouble when the cops showed up, just walking to my room. I was buzzing but could easily function and didn’t act overly intoxicated. Probably a stupid question, but I want to try and reduce my fines, currently 570 dollars. BTW I live in Canada. thanks[/quote]

Wow wtf?
Were you and your friends walking by a bunch of 70 year old seniors that night?
Assuming that you were not “causing trouble” (breaking the law asides from drinking)

Yeah, the underage drinking law is bs. Get a lawyer if you can afford one but that will likely cost as much or more than the fines.

Plead not guilty and the prosecuting attorney will try probably try to make a deal with you. In the US that is.

Cant fight if you took a breathe test at the station. Something i learned from my co-worker across the hall. He tried to fight it by hiring a lawyer and all that did was make him pay the fine and the lawyer fees.

[quote]colin1168 wrote:

My question is is there anything I can do by going to the court date. I wasn’t causing trouble when the cops showed up, just walking to my room. I was buzzing but could easily function and didn’t act overly intoxicated. Probably a stupid question, but I want to try and reduce my fines, currently 570 dollars. BTW I live in Canada. thanks[/quote]

Why the fuck wouldn’t you run? You were just walking while the security guys were following you? Damn man…

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
colin1168 wrote:

My question is is there anything I can do by going to the court date. I wasn’t causing trouble when the cops showed up, just walking to my room. I was buzzing but could easily function and didn’t act overly intoxicated. Probably a stupid question, but I want to try and reduce my fines, currently 570 dollars. BTW I live in Canada. thanks

Why the fuck wouldn’t you run? You were just walking while the security guys were following you? Damn man…[/quote]

Is this experience speaking…? lol

If ya can’t do the time, don’t do the crime!

But it’s Canadian money, so that’s like what? Tree-Fitty?

in chicago its only like a 170$ and then youre good to go. i got mine in michigan and it was a misdemeanor so it seems to be really different wherever you are

move to Alberta, problem solved.

And in Alberta you would be making 3x the money to pay for that fine as well!

Yeah if you blow the breathalizer you are hopeless.

Also running could or could not be a good idea. Depends on if they find out who you are or if you have more to worry about than underage drinking. Something I learned from experience :wink:

lol.

obviously if people are following you you don’t head to where you live/sleep.

unless of course, you have bigger guns at your place and you plan to kill said followers.

SHEESH op

What I dont get is how can some chick make the decision to get gangbanged on film at the age of 18 but cant drink until she is 19 (or 21 in the states)…
Seems sorta messed up.

What part of NS are you from dude?

[quote]Nate112 wrote:
What part of NS are you from dude?[/quote]

what are you going to do, drive over and powder his ass and tell him its’ giong to be ok?

sheesh, i’m in the army

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
Nate112 wrote:
What part of NS are you from dude?

what are you going to do, drive over and powder his ass and tell him its’ giong to be ok?

sheesh, i’m in the army[/quote]

Yeah, I was going to, but not if your going to make it sound gay. I was also going to touch his peepee but i guess you think that’s gay too because your in the army? Semper Fi my dick bitch.