Under/Overrated in American History?

Just food for thought.

Who is someone you think is vastly underrated in their influence, impact, etc. on American history and deserves more acclaim, credit, etc.? Could be a statesman, politician, personality, social activist, businessperson, sports figure - whoever.

On the flip, who is the most overrated?

Feel free to name one or more, and say why you think so.

overrated: Kennedy.

Underated:

Herbert Marcuse. New School thinker who is still the basis for neo-liberal thought and idealogy.

Crieghton Abrams. Critical first thinker and military strategist responsible for much of the development in the US Army in the post 60’s period.

Great topic!

Overrated: Teddy Roosevelt: Did far too much towards expanding the powers of the state against private interests.

Underrated: Benedict Arnold: Aside from his eventual treachery (something I don’t entirely blame him for), he was an incredibly brave man, a great general, and his actions on Lake Champlain helped guaranty the success of the Revolution.

[quote]hedo wrote:
Underated:

Herbert Marcuse. New School thinker who is still the basis for neo-liberal thought and idealogy.
[/quote]

Hippy!

[quote]nephorm wrote:
hedo wrote:
Underated:

Hippy![/quote]

Oh yeah.

[quote]LBRTRN wrote:
Great topic!

Overrated: Teddy Roosevelt: Did far too much towards expanding the powers of the state against private interests.

Underrated: Benedict Arnold: Aside from his eventual treachery (something I don’t entirely blame him for), he was an incredibly brave man, a great general, and his actions on Lake Champlain helped guaranty the success of the Revolution.[/quote]

Benny is an often overlooked historical figure I agree. However, who else would be responsible for his treachery and treason Wasn’t it mostly ego related?

Over-rated: Honest Abe Lincoln

Under-rated: Alexander Hamilton

[quote]hedo wrote:
LBRTRN wrote:
Great topic!

Underrated: Benedict Arnold: Aside from his eventual treachery (something I don’t entirely blame him for), he was an incredibly brave man, a great general, and his actions on Lake Champlain helped guaranty the success of the Revolution.

Benny is an often overlooked historical figure I agree. However, who else would be responsible for his treachery and treason Wasn’t it mostly ego related?

[/quote]

It was certainly ego related–the man had a huge ego, but deservedly so in many respects. However, he was slighted numerous times, and, keeping in mind the tenuous nature of the Revolution, I don’t really blame him for deciding that his interests weren’t best served by the Amercian cause.

My point is really only that had the Continental Army shown him the respect he probably deserved, Arnold might have gone down as one of the greatest heros in American history–that does not, however, mean he was blameless.

Overrated: Reagan
Underrated: Cheney. He’s the guy in charge.

I should jump in with several:

Underrated:

William T. Sherman (my avatar, which started the question in the first place - someone inquired as to who my avatar was and why)

Andrew Jackson

Overrated:

FDR (qualifier: I actually have immense admiration for FDR, I just think he is overrated)

Overrated- Reagan.

Underrated-

Thomas Paine

Nathaniel Greene, Daniel Morgan, Francis Marion, and many other heroes of the Reveolutionary War who have gone unsung, hidden in the shadow of Washington (a great man himself, of course).

Alexander Hamilton.

The 1st Minnesota.

Sam Elliot.

The band Buchcherry.

Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Abbie Hoffman and the Chicago Eight (will be controversial, I know)

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
I should jump in with several:

Underrated:

William T. Sherman (my avatar, which started the question in the first place - someone inquired as to who my avatar was and why)

Andrew Jackson

[/quote]

I was actually going to say Andrew Jackson, but forgot him for some reason. The Battle of New Orleans and his presidency were two of the better things that happened.

I think Sherman gets due credit- and he is a favorite of mine.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

Nathaniel Greene[/quote]

Great call on Nathaniel Green! He and Henry Knox don’t get nearly enough credit…