Under Armour Opinions?

Why is this becoming a thread about wrestling? This was about UnderArmour, not who dropped weight for wrestling. Thanks for keeping the topic of the thread on track. I do believe after the first post or three about how someone dropped weight, the point was completely understood. Does anyone have any good cookie recipes while we’re at it? How about the address of a good tailor who can match a chest over 50" with a waist under that measurement.

UA makes t-shirts that go for 19.99. They are really loose on the body, and I wear them for lifting, running, and teaching my gymnastics floor tumbling classes. The shirts are a polester/elastin composite. You don’t need to dry them - let them air dry for an hour after washing and you’re good to go.

I wear the microfiber tight/spandex-like tops for ice hockey, but I wouldn’t wear them for lifting. I find the tops too restrictive on my shoulders, chest, and back. I do wear the compression shorts so my boxer briefs don’t get all torn up when lifting and running.

So do you wear underwear with the compression shorts or are they considerd the underwear?

[quote]caladin wrote:
So do you wear underwear with the compression shorts or are they considerd the underwear?[/quote]

They sell underwear also if any of you are confused. Have you visited their web site? I buy straight from them because I can’t always find my size at the store.

I am a fan of the compression shorts and the shorts. Never could get into the UA shirts though—I saw a guy wearing one in a nightclub and I changed my mind on those things. Even for a grappling shirt under my gi, the UA shirt wasn’t as effective as an affordable Excel rash guard. Then again I use the rash guard for more than land use, it’s primarily waterman’s gear.

The shorts and the compression shorts don’t bunch up as bad or form dingle-bunnies as some cheaper versions do. But you get what you paid for.

I have two of their “loose” long sleeve shirts that I ordered directly from them and I like them when lifting. I also have a similar long sleeve shirt from Nike and a couple from New Balance. I also have some of UA’s low-rise socks. Hands down, the best socks I’ve ever owned. They’re like a cushiony elastic/cotton mix that doesn’t get trashed in the washer.

I don’t own any of the compression shirts. IMHO, you better have one bad-ass physique to be wearing one of those or you’ll end up looking pretty foolish…again that’s just me. An EXTREME case in point, a couple weeks ago, I’m in Home Depot and I see this completely “de-conditioned” dude walking toward me. I immediately recognize the UA logo on his hat…and his shirt…and his shorts. I thought…“what a loser.”

I model for them, I am in their commercials. I personally like the stuff, but I also get it for free. I would probably shell out the cash for them though. Over all i think their stuff is good quality. And like that other guy said wait and see what they having coming out…some pretty cool stuff

Alpha

I messed up about the compression shorts - it is the underwear I wear but they are like compression shorts.

Keep in mind that the heat gear and the cold gear are meant to have a jersey and/or equipment, like shoulder pads for football or hockey, over them. The heat gear, cold, gear, and all purpose gear are the tight spandex-like shirts, and are meant to replace the cotton shirts football players and hockey players used to wear under their equipment and jerseys.

[quote]JuniorVarsity wrote:
Keep in mind that the heat gear and the cold gear are meant to have a jersey and/or equipment, like shoulder pads for football or hockey, over them. The heat gear, cold, gear, and all purpose gear are the tight spandex-like shirts, and are meant to replace the cotton shirts football players and hockey players used to wear under their equipment and jerseys.[/quote]

We understand what they were originally made for, but just as many people in the military wear these under BDU’s and service uniforms. I wear it also under my motorcycle gear. The ones I wear as regular shirts are the loose gear. They get a lot of attention.

The shirts are great, I usually wear the heat gear tight shirt underneath my normal t-shirts. I sweat easily, so they are more comfortable then wearing a standard cotton undershirt. The looser shirts are nice too in that they don’t get soaked and dry off quickly. Similar to Nike dri fit, but I find that they usually fit better and have bigger sizes.

The underwear is also great, it keeps me cool and doesn’t chafe or ride up on me like some other boxer briefs.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Why is this becoming a thread about wrestling? This was about UnderArmour, not who dropped weight for wrestling. Thanks for keeping the topic of the thread on track. I do believe after the first post or three about how someone dropped weight, the point was completely understood. Does anyone have any good cookie recipes while we’re at it? How about the address of a good tailor who can match a chest over 50" with a waist under that measurement.[/quote]

A good tailor is exactly what you need. That and a brand that sells seperates, ie jacket and pant sold seperatly although they still are out of the same fabric. This is because of the “drop” of the suit. The drop is the difference between the chest measurement in the jacket and the waist meaurement in the pant.

The standard drop is 6" in the menswear industry meaning a 44 jacket is going to come with 38 pants. You can sometimes find “athletic” cut suits that come with an 8" drop but they also have more of a taper in the pant leg and might be tighter in the seat. Go for seperates, brooks brothers sells them and some name brands as well, but not as common as suit sets. Also most lifters should stay away from pleated pants unless you either are willing to spend a lot for tailoring or you have a large gut you hang your pants from.

Anyone with a small waist and larger seat and thighs will have the pleats spread in the front and possibly make the pockets stand open. All of which make the person look pear shaped. If you have that problem you can try flat fronts and also buy longer length pants then you need and have them hemmed. The longer length also adds in some in the “rise” which gives you more room in the seat.

Oh and if you get your suit hemmed, go with a clean finish and not cuffed. Cuffs come from upland hunters who rolled thier pants so that they wouldn’t get muddy, this look caught on and became the “sporting” look, like saying hey I’m cool and outdoorsy look at my cuffs. Only sportswear should have a cuffed pant such as khakis. Cuffed suits or even tuxes is just wrong.

All of this type of wicking clothing works well unless you either dry it too high or add fabric softener to the wash. The first can melt the fibers which will misshape them and the latter causes the fabric to not wick efficiently by coating the fibers. I am sure alot of people love the UA stuff but in reality there really is no new technology involved. It was however a shift in the target market and a great marketing campaign. Nike hates the fact that they can’t beat them.

If you are adventurous you should try Ibex or Icebreaker next to skin clothing. It is made out of amazingly fine, around 18-19 microns, merino wool. The stuff is amazing, it keeps you cool and dry and doesn’t itch. The best thing about it is it won’t melt to your skin like a synthetic will. This is really more of a military issue then for most people, unless you are a cook or something. Icebreaker boxer briefs are the only underware I wear now, and I have seen tons of stuff out there with my line of work.

I think I’ve been convinced to get some of those wicking shirts. All summer, I’ve been playing basketball before going into the weight room. I sweat a lot, and so far, every time I’ve gotten to the weight room, I’ve been dripping sweat. It’s been so bad that I can’t wipe any off my face with my cotton shirts, because they’re soaked already. I justified this by wiping down everything I use, and reminding myself I’ve got no one to impress by looking good in the weight room.

UA rocks ! - I own five of the loosefit line. I’m an amateur boxer so needless to say lots of sweat comin out. I haven’t actually tried the compression shorts or underwear yet though, but up here in Canada, its difficult to find.

The compression heat gear, turf, etc line though - holy crap - unless you have a eight pac or darn near eight pac - i don’t know how you can wear it without clothes over and not look ridiculous.

Has anyone tried the undershirts - they look like regular undershirts. I was thinking of getting a compression shirt to wear under a dress shirt instead of regular undershirts. Also I’m a sweaty bastard !

Troop

If you’re going to wear underwear under your compression shorts, it had better be the same moisture wicking material as the compression shorts, otherwise the purpose is lost. I can’t imagine wearing underwear under comprssion shorts. A jock strap, yes. And UnderArmour makes these also. But be careful, they don’t stretch as much as they should.

I used to use UA compression shirts for cycling. I live in Florida and more often than not 1-2 pm is the only time I can hit the road. Needless to say 95 degree weather with 100% humidity will make you pour sweat, but UA shirts helped a ton.

Another advantage to wearing the compression shirts is the complete lack of drag. 15 mph winds become so much more bearable when your shirt is not parachuting behind you. They also did pretty well in crashes, saving me from a decent amount of road rash. I switched to nike pro, however, simply because I preffer the feel of the material.