T Nation

Under Armour Opinions?

What do you all think of underarmor products? I have a few things in the lineup.I am with mixed opinions, and I was just wondering what some other thoughts are.

The Army is actually issuing the undershirts and compression shorts. The shorts are great, as the really reduce chaffing. The shirts don’t work as well as they are intended to. They are worn under BDU tops (sleeves down), so they don’t really get a chance to evaporate. On the plus side, they are easy to wash in a field environment, just rinse them out, hang them up and in a half hour you have a clean shirt (well, clean to field standards anyway).

As far as gym gear goes, once again, mixed feelings. It looks cool if you have the right frame for it. My gut shows more than I like, but my shoulders and arms look tight. I’m not out to impress anybody, but looking in a mirror
during a workout is motivation. As far as function, I can’t say it keeps me cooler, but it does disperse sweat better than a cotton tee.
The products are generally overpriced. I don’t know if they are made differently than others or if it is just a brand name. I bought a few off brand shirts from Walmart ($14 vs $30) and they seem to be the same. Is this stuff just glorified spandex.

I’ve got some Under Armour stuff… as far as the shirts go, I don’t really like them. I find that the bottom of the shirt wants to ride up. The shorts are awesome, they breathe very well. I also have a skull cap from Under Armour, I wear it when I’m trying to cut weight, it keeps me a lot warmer, thus I sweat more and lose more weight. So I don’t know, everything but the shirts is good.

-CJ

[quote]cjf3690 wrote:
I’ve got some Under Armour stuff… as far as the shirts go, I don’t really like them. I find that the bottom of the shirt wants to ride up. The shorts are awesome, they breathe very well. I also have a skull cap from Under Armour, I wear it when I’m trying to cut weight, it keeps me a lot warmer, thus I sweat more and lose more weight. So I don’t know, everything but the shirts is good.

-CJ[/quote]

Do you really believe ‘weight’ lost through sweating is weightloss? As the body warms up, then overheats because you have thwarted the biggest cooling mechanism on the body, your performance decreases and the overall volume of work is therby decreased. Hence, less muscle mass worked, less intensity performed, less total output+less calories burned.

And we all know weight loss is strictly determined by the difference in cals in and out–right?

One way your body regulates temperature is to sweat. But that sweat has to evaporate before your body can make more sweat. So any fabric that wicks moisture away from your body and lets it evaporate efficiently should work. If you wear cotton over your wicking fabric, you’re not going to truly wick any moisture away. I find that wearing two wicking shirts, one tighter fitting and the other looser fitting, is quite efficient.

I don’t have the problem of shirts riding up. And I hate compression shorts, so I have no opinion on their wicking abilities. Only that they don’t have any stretch where it’s needed. I would think that you’d have to wear a similar outer short over compression shorts for them to work as designed.

UA works as advertised for me. Well worth the money in my opinion.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

Do you really believe ‘weight’ lost through sweating is weightloss? [/quote]

I was a little surprised at that response also. I see overweight people wearing plastic sweating suits in the gym as if they are really going to lose more fat because of it.

Either way, half of the clothes in my closet are now UnderArmour or those Starter shirts they sell at Walmart. If you are that concerned about your stomach showing through, buy the LOOSE FIT UnderArmour. It fits well through the shoulders, arms and chest but doesn’t hug to your waist line. I actually like them better because they breath even more and cool me off faster.

I think the guy who created the company has a brilliant marketing campaign and a product that actually works. Anything less than pro-football players wearing this on the field would have given skin tight spandex/polyester the wrong image.

i have a couple underarmor items and i like them o.k. but i’m not gonna get any more. but prof x is right on w/ those starter shirts and they’re way less money. my altime favorite shirts are those silkweight capilene shirts from patagonia. i also really like those vaporwick briefs from the north face. granted i think they were 25-30 bucks and the only reason i got 'em cause i had a gift certificate to ems but i liked them so much i shelled out for 3 more.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
cjf3690 wrote:

-CJ

Do you really believe ‘weight’ lost through sweating is weightloss? As the body warms up, then overheats because you have thwarted the biggest cooling mechanism on the body, your performance decreases and the overall volume of work is therby decreased. Hence, less muscle mass worked, less intensity performed, less total output+less calories burned.

And we all know weight loss is strictly determined by the difference in cals in and out–right?[/quote]

As far as the scales that the refs at wrestling meets go by, yes it is weight lost. I am not trying to lose fat, I am trying to cut weight during a day so that I can make weight for a wrestling match, which is my sport… wrestling. That is what I meant by that, not that I am trying to lose weight over a period of time, this way, I can just lose ‘water weight’ by sweating alot, and then I can drink again and gain back some of the weight and be ready to go for my match… that’s what I mean.

-CJ

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
cjf3690 wrote:

-CJ

And we all know weight loss is strictly determined by the difference in cals in and out–right?[/quote]

He said weight loss, not fat loss. So yes, weight loss through sweating is considered weight loss. Weight is lost isn’t it?

On what cjf3690 wrote:

It’s funny you responded this way. This is exactly what I was thinking after I posted, and almost added it to the end of the post.

I wrestled in H.S.–20+ yrs ago–and so many of the ‘lighter’ guys would spend match day in plastic suits,in the sauna,spitting trying to make weight. Looking back on it, I’m surprised nobody died. Or at the very least suffered heat exhaustion or worse heat stroke. Noone I knew even had any type of dehydration fatigue. Of course, maybe they did and we never knew.

Anyways, be careful man. That can be risky stuff.

[quote]JonP wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
cjf3690 wrote:

-CJ

And we all know weight loss is strictly determined by the difference in cals in and out–right?

He said weight loss, not fat loss. So yes, weight loss through sweating is considered weight loss. Weight is lost isn’t it?[/quote]

Why bother responding so unintelligently. Obviously you are lighter immediately following. But you have not anything more than the water you will soon be replacing. And this is a site dedicated to health along with weight training. Would you consider this smart or healthy to use in your weight loss regimine?

UA has some great products. Back in 97’ when it first came out, a lot of schools and teams thought it would not hit. I know the owner pretty well from working with him back in DC in 97’, and he has created a massive industry.

I won’t lie and say that it is all perfect, but most of the products do exactly what you are looking for. My drawers and closets are filled with the gear. I liked it so much that i made my company go from Nike to UA about 4 years ago.

They keep coming out with new stuff every quarter and it is all pretty sweet. Wait til you see what they have coming out this winter…stuff that hardcore trainers will definitely want.

Stay cool,
SP

On what sasquatch etc. wrote:

Actually, I’m not lighter, I wrestled 160 and 171 last year, and had to cut for 160, this year I’m moving up to 189, but that’s besides the point, no, it isn’t healthy and I will be a little weaker for it, but I would rather be a little weaker just to make weight and be able to wrestle than to miss weight and not be allowed to wrestle at all, and possibly have to do extra work the next practice bc the coaches are pissed at me for missing weight.

-cj

[quote]Professor X wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

Do you really believe ‘weight’ lost through sweating is weightloss?

I was a little surprised at that response also. I see overweight people wearing plastic sweating suits in the gym as if they are really going to lose more fat because of it.

Either way, half of the clothes in my closet are now UnderArmour or those Starter shirts they sell at Walmart. If you are that concerned about your stomach showing through, buy the LOOSE FIT UnderArmour. It fits well through the shoulders, arms and chest but doesn’t hug to your waist line. I actually like them better because they breath even more and cool me off faster.

I think the guy who created the company has a brilliant marketing campaign and a product that actually works. Anything less than pro-football players wearing this on the field would have given skin tight spandex/polyester the wrong image.[/quote]

Everything in my “athletic” closet is basically underarmour.

In highschool I wore so much underarmour they called me “UA” (pronounced “ooh-ahh”)

I have more under armour apparel then most women have shoes. That’s not an exageration.

My opinion therefore may be a little bias.

[quote]strongFB wrote:
UA has some great products. Back in 97’ when it first came out, a lot of schools and teams thought it would not hit. I know the owner pretty well from working with him back in DC in 97’, and he has created a massive industry.

I won’t lie and say that it is all perfect, but most of the products do exactly what you are looking for. My drawers and closets are filled with the gear. I liked it so much that i made my company go from Nike to UA about 4 years ago.

They keep coming out with new stuff every quarter and it is all pretty sweet. Wait til you see what they have coming out this winter…stuff that hardcore trainers will definitely want.

Stay cool,
SP[/quote]

Pssh, I’m just waiting for the cleats.

Click-clack
Click-clack
CLick-clack

omg i can’t wait for my season to start

I feel that the weight cutting method that leaves me with the most energy is sweating off a few pounds immediately before a weigh in and then gaining them back through fluids immediately following a workout. This is a lot better than the alternative that some athletes use in which they starve themselves and hover around their competition weight for many days approaching the weigh in.

I’ve been around the sport of wrestling enough to see many people safely shed 6-10 pounds in a simple sweat workout before weigh ins. I would much rather eat and drink resonably all week and quickly drop the weight. This weigh your body is only down to weight for a brief period of time. In my personal experience I’ve found that my body bounces back very quickly if I make weight quickly. I’ve found that the longer I draw my dieting out the longer it takes to bounce back.

Once again this method is not concerning fat loss or bodybuilding but rather making weight for wrestling in a way that allows for little loss of strength.

[quote]lifthawk wrote:

I feel that the weight cutting method that leaves me with the most energy is sweating off a few pounds immediately before a weigh in and then gaining them back through fluids immediately following a workout. This is a lot better than the alternative that some athletes use in which they starve themselves and hover around their competition weight for many days approaching the weigh in.

I’ve been around the sport of wrestling enough to see many people safely shed 6-10 pounds in a simple sweat workout before weigh ins. I would much rather eat and drink resonably all week and quickly drop the weight. This weigh your body is only down to weight for a brief period of time. In my personal experience I’ve found that my body bounces back very quickly if I make weight quickly. I’ve found that the longer I draw my dieting out the longer it takes to bounce back.

Once again this method is not concerning fat loss or bodybuilding but rather making weight for wrestling in a way that allows for little loss of strength. [/quote]

I agree completely, I feel I was trying to say the same thing earlier, but could not find the right words. And what you said about the faster you drop weight down the faster you bounce back up, you could not be more correct at all.

-CJ

Compression shorts are amazing.

Combine that with a good ole McDavid extra-large jock, and I feel like an Abrams (sp?) tank - indestructible. I also feel like my balls are relaxing in a hammock, being cradled and cushioned with my every move.

But thats for another thread that probably belongs in the Sex forum.

The confusion about the weight loss and sweat came from the simple misuse of terminology. “Dropping” weight to meet a weight class is pretty normal. However confusing it with standard “cutting” or weight “loss”, is wrong and unhealthy.

[quote]cjf3690 wrote:

Actually, I’m not lighter, I wrestled 160 and 171 last year, and had to cut for 160, this year I’m moving up to 189, but that’s besides the point, no, it isn’t healthy and I will be a little weaker for it, but I would rather be a little weaker just to make weight and be able to wrestle than to miss weight and not be allowed to wrestle at all, and possibly have to do extra work the next practice bc the coaches are pissed at me for missing weight.

-cj[/quote]

Actually–seeing as I fluctuate between 270 and 280 you are ‘lighter.’

And I quite understand rapid water loss for sport/wrestling. However, in the original post this was not mentioned. In high school I wrestled heavyweight from freshman on so I suppose --technically–everyone was lighter.