Under 200 lbs Progress/Update Thread

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:

[quote]RoadTo5PlateDL wrote:
I’m at 165 lbs Bodyweight
330-340 DL
250x5 Squat
Can’t bench at the moment and won’t be for awhile due to shoulder problems.
Not all too impressive, but not awful for only having lifted for 9 months. Plus, with long legs and average length arms, none of my lifts stand out from the others.[/quote]

username “roadto5plateDL”
pulls less than four plates
wat[/quote]
Got to set the goals high! My goal is to eventually pull 5 plates/500 lbs, so I figure that would be appropriate enough. I’ll probably be pulling 4 plates by late summer or early fall, so why not shoot for something more than just a few months away?
Plus, I just plain suck at making usernames.

Well I think your user name happens to be lovely! I hate my username. I FEEL LIKE A GOODAMMNED JOKE ALL THE TIME!!

Ah well. Carry on sub 200lb-ers!

Bah, might as well made it “roadto9plates” or “roadto40plates” then. By the time you’re pulling 500, you’ll be wishing you had a different username.

bumps

BW 185

been concentrating on strongman first heavy squats of the year so it ended up being a grind but still my first 500+ squat

Great lift, Kalle. Way to stick it out. Great example of how much fight your legs have in them with a lot of weight on your back trying to crush you. Very impressive.

[quote]Sparty. wrote:
Great lift, Kalle. Way to stick it out. Great example of how much fight your legs have in them with a lot of weight on your back trying to crush you. Very impressive. [/quote]

Thanks Sparty, I am sure with a bit more of a peaking program it wouldn’t have been so bad but it felt good to fight it and win.

I will probably do a powerlifting meet after strongman nationals this winter

Body weight is back below 190 for the first time in about 6 months. Weighed in at 188 last Saturday. Strength is up, though. Probably sitting around 11% body fat, too. Anyway, hit quite a few PRs this week including:

275 paused bench
300 3 board with a pause
345 squat for 2 triples and
370 deadlift for 2 triples.

Everything has been clicking this week. Got my first meet in 31 days, so I’m excited to hopefully set some American records.

CS

Guess I’ll chime in with my current progress:

I’m 24 years old, 5’10’’ and weigh 180 lbs. Been training seriously for a little over a year. My first meet is scheduled for August 11th.

Bench: 260 paused
Squat: 370 for a single, 355 for a triple
Deadlift: 355 for a single a few months ago; last week I deadlifted heavy (for me) from the floor for the first time in 8 weeks and got 315x5 without any strain. My deadlift is my weakest lift, and 315x5 would have been quite difficult a few months ago, so I’m very happy to see progress. My goals for my meet are 400 for my squat and deadlift and ideally 275 on the bench - we’ll see how that goes.

[quote]2-SCOOPS wrote:
Scoops sumo deadlift 715x1 - YouTube [/quote]

Nice!

I hit a 185 x 4 strict press today at a 195 BW. Nothing impressive but I’ve had some decent progress on OH lately and it’s hard to come by lol.

405x10 back squat felt really good

Hope everyone’s training is going well!

Hit a 615 rev band camber squat (-20 at the bottom) on Saturday. Also trying something new with my bench. I’m doing 3x5 of close grip - paused, as my main movement each week for ME press. Adding 5 lbs each week. Hopefully I’m able to keep the progress going and I can stop sucking so bad at bench.

Also not sure if I posted these or not but here were some of my videos from Nationals a few weeks ago.

Solid lifting LM

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Also not sure if I posted these or not but here were some of my videos from Nationals a few weeks ago.

[/quote]

Nice work, but how on earth did that squat get 3 whites…

Front camera angles and especially ones at an off-centered angle are definitely not good for judging depth. No one at the meet was questioning my depth and I had one of our team-members that is a worlds certified judge in 3 federations also checking from the side and he is very strict on depth and lets me know in training if I’m high or not as well (nice to have that level of critique on the team). I have no doubt that the 3 whites were right on that and would honestly admit if I was given a gift.

Nice lifting.

You look like a 198lbr. What was actual weight come lifting time?

In regards to squat depth…you got 3 whites, end of story.

[quote]HARA wrote:
Nice lifting.

In regards to squat depth…you got 3 whites, end of story.[/quote]

Was around 197 on the platform. I was unable to get my weight quite to where I was hoping. The meet that I did as a qualifier for APC Nationals I dropped from 202 to 181 and then got back up to 210. Right now though my weight is down to 188 due to an unfortunate weekend of 20 hour days, mostly in the sun (3 days straight) and only 3 meals in that time span. I lost about 10 lbs that weekend (the week after the meet) and am doing all I can to get my weight back up for worlds.

Front camera angles and especially ones at an off-centered angle are definitely not good for judging depth. No one at the meet was questioning my depth and I had one of our team-members that is a worlds certified judge in 3 federations also checking from the side and he is very strict on depth and lets me know in training if I’m high or not as well (nice to have that level of critique on the team). I have no doubt that the 3 whites were right on that and would honestly admit if I was given a gift.[/quote]

Fair enough but if hes very strict on depth id hate to see a lenient judge. It got 3 whites though and it goes down in the books as a good lift. It was never my intent to start a fight, just saying I’ve seen alot deeper lifts get reds.

On a side note how do you find your able to cut so much weight and not feel drained come competition? (I guess that depends on if its a 24 or 2 hour weigh in). Also do you think the weight cut affects your numbers at all?

[quote]clutz15 wrote:

Front camera angles and especially ones at an off-centered angle are definitely not good for judging depth. No one at the meet was questioning my depth and I had one of our team-members that is a worlds certified judge in 3 federations also checking from the side and he is very strict on depth and lets me know in training if I’m high or not as well (nice to have that level of critique on the team). I have no doubt that the 3 whites were right on that and would honestly admit if I was given a gift.[/quote]

Fair enough but if hes very strict on depth id hate to see a lenient judge. It got 3 whites though and it goes down in the books as a good lift. It was never my intent to start a fight, just saying I’ve seen alot deeper lifts get reds.

On a side note how do you find your able to cut so much weight and not feel drained come competition? (I guess that depends on if its a 24 or 2 hour weigh in). Also do you think the weight cut affects your numbers at all?[/quote]

I’m not sure how you’re judging depth based on a front angled camera. There’s a reason that side judges call depth and the center judge doesn’t…

I was one of 2 people to get 3 white lights all day on squats so whether or not you have seen deeper squats be called red doesn’t really matter - I’d say that is more a case of bad judging than my judges being lenient here. I’ll take squats to the depth that is required, in this case hip joint below knee. If I compete in the USAPL then I’ll take it top of leg below knee because that seems to be more in line with what they call - though I do not believe that is stated in their rule book. Again, you don’t judge depth from the front in any federation.

It was a 24 hour weigh in, and no the weight cut doesn’t affect my numbers, both the squat and deadlift were PR’s for me and the meet prior I had PR’s as well. I’m able to cut weight and not feel drained because I have a very specific process broken down by the hour when making weight and then again when regaining weight and have years of experience making weight for 2 hour weigh-ins for rowing as well as monitoring many other rowers who have to make weight.

Yeah, I figured you dropped over 15lbs to make the 181s, great weight cutting skills. I’m in the 198s but am headed to the 181s. I honestly just hate walking around over 200lbs at 5’8 at my age (43).

[quote]HARA wrote:
Nice lifting.

In regards to squat depth…you got 3 whites, end of story.[/quote]

Was around 197 on the platform. I was unable to get my weight quite to where I was hoping. The meet that I did as a qualifier for APC Nationals I dropped from 202 to 181 and then got back up to 210. Right now though my weight is down to 188 due to an unfortunate weekend of 20 hour days, mostly in the sun (3 days straight) and only 3 meals in that time span. I lost about 10 lbs that weekend (the week after the meet) and am doing all I can to get my weight back up for worlds.[/quote]