Undeadlift's First Comp

I’ve been gone for a long time coz I’m busy, but I’m back.

Sorry I can’t provide pics. Anyway, I participated in a comp for the first time where I live (Philippines), and here are my lifts in kilos:

BW: 63.6

Squat: 110 (lifted 125 easily but got 2 red flags due to form)
Bench: 75 (despite injured left shoulder)
Deadlift: 150

I know that’s pretty weak, but it was enough to get me a gold medal in the Junior’s Division and another gold medal in the Novice Division. I won silver in Class B.

I’m gonna need a lot more training and a lot more experience to get those lifts way up. Unfortunately, I’ll be gone again doing academic stuff.

Congrats, lifting in the phillipines was that an IPF sanctioned meet or a different fed that isnt internationally affiliated?

It’s great that you have your first meet behind you.

I bet you had a great time.

Nice lifts too.

Rick

That’s a great job Undeadlift. You should be very proud of your accomplishments.

Nice to see another pinoy lifter on the site, good job.

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
Congrats, lifting in the phillipines was that an IPF sanctioned meet or a different fed that isnt internationally affiliated?[/quote]

Yup. I participated under the Powerlifting Association of the Philippines, which is a member of IPF.

Lifts are great for your first meet! Keep up the solid effort. I don’t know what your school situation is like, but I find that training/eating only helps.

Congrats on your first comp. Now you have a total to improve on (like me)!

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Pipes06 wrote:
Congrats, lifting in the phillipines was that an IPF sanctioned meet or a different fed that isnt internationally affiliated?

Yup. I participated under the Powerlifting Association of the Philippines, which is a member of IPF.[/quote]

So where are your goals from here? Take it to the next level and start taking dumps all over other 148s and rock IPF worlds in the coming future? lol

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Pipes06 wrote:

Yup. I participated under the Powerlifting Association of the Philippines, which is a member of IPF.

So where are your goals from here? Take it to the next level and start taking dumps all over other 148s and rock IPF worlds in the coming future? lol[/quote]

Well, I have 2 years left to break all national record for junior lifters. I don’t know what they are yet, but I plan to beat them all. Of course, acads are my priority.

Good effort mate!

Thanks to all. I plan to fix my shoulder injury by stopping benching altogether for 1-2 months. Instead, I’m doing Smolov Jr for front squats with chins and rows as supplemental exercises. Hopefully, my shoulders become balanced again and I could beat all my personal bests in an intercollegiate comp this September.

I hope my acads don’t kill me.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Thanks to all. I plan to fix my shoulder injury by stopping benching altogether for 1-2 months. Instead, I’m doing Smolov Jr for front squats with chins and rows as supplemental exercises. Hopefully, my shoulders become balanced again and I could beat all my personal bests in an intercollegiate comp this September.

I hope my acads don’t kill me.[/quote]

What’s the injury?

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
undeadlift wrote:

What’s the injury?

[/quote]

I don’t know what it’s called, but it’s a pressing injury. I got it when I benched 185 lbs and ruined my form. It basically hurts whenever I press forward or lift my shoulders sideways and up. It doesn’t hurt if I pull back.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
undeadlift wrote:

What’s the injury?

I don’t know what it’s called, but it’s a pressing injury. I got it when I benched 185 lbs and ruined my form. It basically hurts whenever I press forward or lift my shoulders sideways and up. It doesn’t hurt if I pull back.[/quote]

Sounds somewhat similar to recurring problems I have (I’m guessing here obviously).

For me, what works best is the following;

1st couple weeks - back off benching and focus on some external rotations, scapula work (ie. band face pulls), light delt/trap work (ie. YTWLs) and push ups. I generaly don’t really have a program for it, I just pick a couple that don’t really hurt that day and try to get blood flow into the muscle.

If you do a few sets in between your squat warm up early squat sets it may help to loosen your shoulders up for squatting.

Next few weeks - This completely depends on feel. If my shoulder feels fine, I’ll jump straight to light benching (after a warm-up). But if the range of motion still bothers me then I’ll opt for floor presses.

Once recovered - On the advise of a much more accomplished lifter, I’ve started to replace some of my benching work with 1,2 or reverse band benches. I don’t cycle them for 3-4 weeks like Westside, rather just rotate one in for a session every 2nd or 3rd session.

I can’t say any of this will work for you, but try some of it out if you want.

The only pic I have.