T Nation

Uncooked vs. Cooked Oats?

I usually eat cooked oats about 2-3 hours before most of my workouts because the complex carbs gives me lots of energy. Does anybody know if NOT cooking the oats would make them digest slower?

Reason is that i’m tired of the way that taste cooked but love the way they taste uncooked with milk and splenda.

Is 2-3 hours before a workout enough time to allow digestion if they are uncooked?

[quote]elano wrote:
I usually eat cooked oats about 2-3 hours before most of my workouts because the complex carbs gives me lots of energy. Does anybody know if NOT cooking the oats would make them digest slower?

Reason is that i’m tired of the way that taste cooked but love the way they taste uncooked with milk and splenda.

Is 2-3 hours before a workout enough time to allow digestion if they are uncooked?[/quote]

2-3 hours is plenty. Don’t over think it, either way is fine. I stopped cooking my oats 2 years ago and didn’t notice any difference (not to say there is no difference). Go with uncooked since it is your preference. I like mine blended with water and protein powder uncooked.

I like mine blended with protein power too! It’s yummy and easier to eat and drink when uncooked.