Uncooked Oatmeal

Well today i decided to throw oatmeal in a blender with a banana and some water and mix. Taste Great and doesn’t give you the bally, gooey, wanna throw up feeling that regular oatmeal gives you. Does it still have the same nutrional value?

1.5 Cup water
1/2 Cup oatmeal
1 banana.

Try it out!

A higher glycemic index, perhaps?

-Zulu

can you do me a favor and try it with some protein powder? id like to know how it tastes and im scared to do it myself. would make a nice little p+c.

there is actually much less calories in blended oatmeal, because you breakdown the casing of the oats and the energy is released lowering the potential chemical energy of the meal.

I never cook my oatmeal. I eat it either in a shake, or with protien powder at work, or with some fruit and rasins and skim milk. i hate eating mush and find it rather tastey raw!

p-dog ill try it and tell you how it is. I’ll pretty much throw anything in a blender and drink it. I did tuna once with water, it was the grossest thing yet. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I’ve also read that blending/grinding up oats can increase the glycemic response. Take it for what it’s worth.

As far as eating raw oats, I do this frequently. A very, very tasty meal–especially for those of us that are still kiddie cereal addicts–is dumping a scoop or two of Low-Carb Grow! on top of a bowl of uncooked oats and adding water and mixing until it comes to a soupy consistency. This almost tastes like granola. Add in a cut up apple or banana or some mixed berries, and you’re golden!

raw oat meal is awesome!
I eat it all the time…and I thought I was the only one.

Cook up some egg whites and then add in some raw oatmeal…It’s so damn good.

I also eat raw oatmeal with Snickers bars.

Just kidding

JA

" there is actually much less calories in blended oatmeal, because you breakdown the casing of the oats and the energy is released lowering the potential chemical energy of the meal."

What energy is released?

-Zulu

i dont follow whetu either

Whetu’s argument is that by physically breaking apart the oatmeal flakes, the amount of energy required for digestion would decrease because some of the chemical bonds have been broken mechanically via the blender. Furthermore, the surface area of the food particle is smaller and thus digested much more easily (and quicker).

While there is some truth to that, I don’t know how big a factor it is. It has been shown that chewing food (which has the same effect esp. on surface area) has benefits. I’d be more inclined to worry about a higher GI index since the fiberous coating will be broken. Another thread brought me to the attention the difference between added fiber vs. inherent fibre in foods.

Would toasting oatmeal increase it’s GI?

I’ve been doing this forever. I add everything to my shakes. When I eat a bowl of the stuff, I throw in unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon, too, along with some chocolate whey. The possibilities are endless.

before I leave for school/work in the morning, I make 2 shakes.

Shake 1:
2 scoops whey, chocolate
1-2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 tsp glutamine
1/2 tsp creatine
sometimes I throw in a banana
when I use a banana, I use milk with it

It tastes really really good. I’ve left it in the fridge overnight, and it gets a pretty smooth consistency.

Shake 2 is just shake 1, sans oatmeal, banana and milk. I’ll drink shake 2 and then eat some cashews.

JW im not 100% sure but i think the glutamine is not good after 5 minutes so, that might be a waste to add it to yoru shake for later on in the day.

CGB - now I know who’s dropping those ass bombs in the gym!

Also, Creatine breaks down to creatinine when left in a shake for that long…

I have always done this - I love it mixed with fat-free yoplait.

But I curbed this addiction, because I read in a couple of places - that raw oats need to be cooked for sanitary reasons - and contain toxins when uncooked.

Wanted to give a heads up.

Whetu’s arguement? It is a piss take my friends,
“Does it still have the same nutrional value?”
-na, it magically changed… yeah whatever.
I thought so many other people talk bollocks why cant I?

I’m with Timbonator on this one!

Freakin oatmeal with Grow and a banana is unreal! I tend to also mix 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1/2 cup of Fiber One and add some low carb maple syrup for a nice addition to a P+C meal. O’Doyle…er, I mean Oatmeal rules!

(did anyone catch the Billy Madison reference there???)