T Nation

Unconventional Use?

Let’s say you haven’t worked out in a year and have become scrawny as hell because of extreme demands of last year of grad school that made going to gym impossible.

Let’s say you all of the sudden discovered that your favorite girl in the world, that you haven’t seen since you were in the best shape of your life two years ago (and who has never seen you out of shape but always used to admire your body tremendously) was coming to town in 2 weeks and has already asked you to go out with her immediately.

Let’s say you also had a stockpile of MAG-10 and 1AD that you’ve been hoarding since the week before the ban on prohormones.

Though it’s generally, of course, best to wait until you are in really really good unaided shape before taking these kinds of aids, would it be useful to take them just to try to do whatever you can to look less scrawny two weeks from now?

I guess what I’m asking is, in addition eating like a monster, taking all your Biotest supps, and working out intelligently, would it be a terrible idea, under such extenuating circumstances, to take a prosteroid for a couple weeks just to help counter the terrible susceptibility to overtraining of the first couple weeks of coming back after long time off?

I am just concerned that my recovery will be so poor and my soreness so high that the first 2 weeks really won’t be able to produce hardly any visible results at all.

I’m wondering if it is a reasonable practice to take something like MAG-10 to help make it possible to see a little better results and experience a little less danger of overtraining out of overexuberance.

I’m only talking about taking them for a very brief period here

It sounds to me as if you are somewhat against taking prohormones and that you would be taking them for a couple weeks only to impress this girl. Say you do make noticeable progress and she is impressed with your body, it would only be a transient thing. Once she leaves you will stop taking the drug and their potential effects would be gone.

Whether she is impressed or not she is still going to be gone a short time after you two see each other. Based on your post, you would then stop taking the drugs. There’s no real point in taking something to impress a person that won’t be a permanent part of your life, unless of course you’re trying to sleep with her.

Either way I think it’s stupid only for the fact that you seem against taking these drugs in general (at least that’s what I get from the post).

To answer the question: yes, these prohormones would help with recovery and would likely increase muscular harness and volume. If you’re only taking them for say three weeks you could always double or triple the dose and likely be fine, while gaining even more positive effects.

No I love them, I just think taking them at the beginning of starting to workout (when you are at bottom of natural potential) is opposite of convention.

Do you think they will really help a lot already within the first two weeks?

It depends on how out of shape you are. Also depends on which version of MAG-10 your using. Using a single dose of the old destroyer, you could expect to gain a solid 5 or 6 pounds. If you have the legacy and use a double dose of it, a 10 lb gain should be easily attainable assuming you eat and traim 100%. While these are pretty decent gains, if you are way out of shape, there isn’t anything in existence that is going to make dramatic changes in 2 weeks.

[quote]2ms wrote:
No I love them, I just think taking them at the beginning of starting to workout (when you are at bottom of natural potential) is opposite of convention.

Do you think they will really help a lot already within the first two weeks?[/quote]

I think you know the answer. honestly man, if you have taken a year off of training you should know the answer. this is a long process. Why don’t you just do it naturally and use that stuff 6-8 weeks or 3 months down the road when you have gotten back or close to where you were. I mean, seriously, 2 weeks of anything is BARELY going to begin showing… Especially if you are detrained.

I think I’m actually just going to go ahead and do it almost primarily just for the sake of experimentation. I’ll find out whether or not MAG-10 (it’s the last version before Legacy) makes the first two weeks of coming back a little less hellish.

I’m not looking for 10lbs out of the stuff. I’m just looking for a shot in the arm little boost to ease the hell and give me inkling of chance of not looking quite completely scrawny.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Just out of curiousity, what were you up to-height/weight while you were training?
What do you weigh now?

after training well and eating big for years: 5’11" 170lbs

After year off and eating less than half as much (because couldn’t eat more than that): 150lbs

I am naturally skinny – no matter how much I eat I am always lean w 6 pack, for example. So that’s 20lbs of nearly all LBM in my opinion.

Just thought I’d let you guys know that my first day in the gym was the worst agony I have experienced in as long as I can remember. It was 10x worse than after a month off or something.

I used to work with 225 or so on bench. Yesterday 115 burned like hell. It was completely ridiculous. I used to squat ass to grass sets of 225 – yesterday after finishing one set of 135 I felt like was going to collapse at the knees and had that feeling of million little pinges or whatever all throughout my leg muscles.

Most exercises I pretty much only did one set but a few I did two. Considering how sore I am from the one set exercises I’m pretty damn concerned about how much DOS I’m going to be experiencing tomorrow from the exercises I did two sets of.

Oh boy I’m in for a tough couple weeks. I took one cap of 1AD yesterday evening before workout and am now going to do one every morning and one every afternoon for the next 2 weeks.

I hope the stuff doesn’t take too a long time to kick in.

You’re going to need to workout a hell of a lot harder then that or you might as well just flush that stuff down the toilet cause you’ll see about the same results. Look up the growth surge project-thats where your training needs to be.

Also, what is the dosing on the 1-ad? 2 caps a day seems like a small dose, but I guess it depends on the mg/cap.

[quote]2ms wrote:
Just thought I’d let you guys know that my first day in the gym was the worst agony I have experienced in as long as I can remember. It was 10x worse than after a month off or something.

I used to work with 225 or so on bench. Yesterday 115 burned like hell. It was completely ridiculous. I used to squat ass to grass sets of 225 – yesterday after finishing one set of 135 I felt like was going to collapse at the knees and had that feeling of million little pinges or whatever all throughout my leg muscles.

Most exercises I pretty much only did one set but a few I did two. Considering how sore I am from the one set exercises I’m pretty damn concerned about how much DOS I’m going to be experiencing tomorrow from the exercises I did two sets of.

Oh boy I’m in for a tough couple weeks. I took one cap of 1AD yesterday evening before workout and am now going to do one every morning and one every afternoon for the next 2 weeks.

I hope the stuff doesn’t take too a long time to kick in.[/quote]

you realize that it was my first workout in a year right? I have done the Growth Project before and put on about 15lbs from it and Mag10 for 3 weeks. If I was to do a growth project workout tonight then I would need an ambulance and emergency room.

It was literal the first time I have touched a dumbell since May 06. I am very sore today from that workout. I do expect to be able to ramp up very rapidly though. I’m taking the 1AD in order to make it possible to workout hard as soon as possible. We’ll see how it goes. Yes I realize this is unconventional.

[quote]muscle_mike wrote:
I think you know the answer. honestly man, if you have taken a year off of training you should know the answer. this is a long process. Why don’t you just do it naturally and use that stuff 6-8 weeks or 3 months down the road when you have gotten back or close to where you were. I mean, seriously, 2 weeks of anything is BARELY going to begin showing… Especially if you are detrained.[/quote]

I agree. once you step back into the gym your gains are going to be so fast, i really do not think there will be any benefit to adding prohormones.

You should just get back into the gym, then about a month down the road whehn you are back into things take the hormones.

That’s what I would do too if it weren’t for the hottest girl moving into town to stay and wanting to see me right away even though I am in the worst shape of my life factor mentioned above. I just want to do whatever I can to reduce my scrawniness on that first night I’ll be seeing her in 4 years.

I agree with all of you in principle otherwise. I was interested in hearing your input and still am. However, I have decided to conduct this experiment and see how many pounds it is possible to put on in 2-3 weeks after a year off.

[quote]2ms wrote:
[/quote]

You gotta stop making so many excuses and quit being such a pussy.

alright there cool guy

She should be impressed that you have earned an advanced degree and prioritized to get there. If she doesn’t get that you have continued to improve as a man, regardless of the purely temporary loss of physical prowess, then she is not worth the effort put into the squirt you would put in her IMO.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If you are trying to put on a lot of weight in a short amount of time, switch to twice a day training, this will allow you to incorporate more post workout feedings. Get in a lot of sleep as well.

Eat like a pig with a credit card.

Double-dose the MAG-10. Take BCAA several times/day. Keep BCAAs by your bed with a water bottle, and take a dose every time you wake up.

Work out 2x/day.

Don’t forget the rest: water, sleep, rest.

Track your workouts and report back. Good luck.