T Nation

Uncontrollable Appetite

I just got off of a year long diet where i managed to go from 285 pounds to 142 pounds. Having losing way more muscle mass than i wanted to I have started doing a diet to bulk up where i eat a lot of clean foods and throw in some junk once in a while. The problem is that I never seem to be satisfied with how much I have eaten. I can easily take down a pound of chicken and about 5 bowls of oatmeal in one sitting and be hungry again in an hour. I have tried eating until I am satisfied and have noticed some moderate fat gains. Can anyone give me some advice on how i can keep my fat gains low and be satisfied with what i am eating so that i don’t go insane.

How tall are you?

Prepackage all of your meals. That way, when you’re done, you’re done. No more eating until the next meal.

Get full eat a TON of veggies if need be. I also wonder how tall you are 140 from 285??

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Get full eat a TON of veggies if need be. I also wonder how tall you are 140 from 285??

Phill[/quote]

I am about 5’10

Umm…that’s probably why.

Your body isn’t meant to be that skinny, especially if you were 285 pounds to start with.

You keep eating because your body needs more food. Seriously, don’t worry about it, just eat good foods, lift heavy, and gain back the muscle and then some.

[quote]andrew0830 wrote:
Umm…that’s probably why.

Your body isn’t meant to be that skinny, especially if you were 285 pounds to start with.

You keep eating because your body needs more food. Seriously, don’t worry about it, just eat good foods, lift heavy, and gain back the muscle and then some.[/quote]

That’s not an excuse to get fat though. Keep doing what you are doing by eating plenty of clean foods and the right kind of weight will come back on. As Phill stated- fill up with veggies first, then eat the rest of your meal.

You really should be around 190-200lbs, but don’t expect to be able to put on 50lbs of muscle overnight. Some fat gain will occur. You may need to watch your junk food intake though, as you are more prone to putting fat back on than most people (the FFB curse).

Good luck.

[quote]pmiller383 wrote:
I just got off of a year long diet where i managed to go from 285 pounds to 142 pounds. Having losing way more muscle mass than i wanted to I have started doing a diet to bulk up where i eat a lot of clean foods and throw in some junk once in a while. The problem is that I never seem to be satisfied with how much I have eaten. I can easily take down a pound of chicken and about 5 bowls of oatmeal in one sitting and be hungry again in an hour. I have tried eating until I am satisfied and have noticed some moderate fat gains. Can anyone give me some advice on how i can keep my fat gains low and be satisfied with what i am eating so that i don’t go insane.[/quote]

An uncontrollable appetite is very common after losing a huge amount of weight, such as you did. Your not alone on this one buddy. A lot of bodybuilders experience this after dieting down for a contest. Yet your doing good by filling up on healthy, solid foods rather then junk food.

The best thing to do in order to avoid this is just not go on an ultra low calorie diet. Instead focus on building up a muscle metabolism that needs a huge amount of food just to maintain itself.

A lot of cardio, a lot of heavy lifts; more cardio. After a while of eating 3000-4000 calories of healthy, solid foods; your appetite will start to blance off with your performance. You’ll start feeling less hunger and you can manage your intake even more. You may evenually get to the point where your sick of eatting so much solid foods and begin to lose weight from it.

Olympic athletes, gymnast, professional sport players eat 5000-6000 calories a day easy. They have worked up there metabolism and level of performance to support such a calorie intake.

They will burn up 1000-2000 calories during there training each day and probably another 1000 calories ed just to recuperate from it. That on top of a 2000-3000 BMR; easy 5000 + calories. You get the point.

Building up training to this level wont come over night, give it time and sleep as much as possible to recuperate. 90% of the time low calorie diets will always lead to gaining the weight back again.

Having said that, you may still want to try out some appetite suppressants. The Phentermines are usually prescribed for this. Ask your doctor about help with your issues. You could also do a search for appetite suppressants on the internet for some helpful links. Everything has its cons though; there are side effects with these drugs.

Lastly pay close attention to your emotions during times of over eating. Try to increase your “happiness level” so to speak. If you’re busy and very happy, social, going out, sleeping well; chances are you will actually be eating less.

Hope it helps.

I have the same problem. If you really bust your ass in the gym and eat clean, then you will put on some muscle mass quick. Just watch the junk food and really hit the weight hard, really hard.

How much fat are you eating? It is needed for satiety from meals. If it’s too low, that may be the cause of your hunger.

That’s a lot of weight to lose. It also sounds like you’ve overdone it somewhat.

I don’t know if you were using appetite supressants or what, but your body probably thinks it is starving… and given your weight, it is.

Just to echo what others have written:

1. fill up on fibrous veggies
  2. look for appetite suppression
  3. add healthy fats to meals for satiety
  4. keep up the good work!

[quote]Bri Hildebrandt wrote:
How much fat are you eating? It is needed for satiety from meals. If it’s too low, that may be the cause of your hunger.[/quote]

I defiently get a good amount of fat in my meals. Its pretty much all healthy fat, i try to watch how much saturated fat i take in.

[quote]pmiller383 wrote:
Bri Hildebrandt wrote:
How much fat are you eating? It is needed for satiety from meals. If it’s too low, that may be the cause of your hunger.

I defiently get a good amount of fat in my meals. Its pretty much all healthy fat, i try to watch how much saturated fat i take in.

[/quote]

This could be part of your problem. Saturated fat is a healthy fat, not the other way around. 30% of your fat intake should be saturated.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
pmiller383 wrote:
Bri Hildebrandt wrote:

This could be part of your problem. Saturated fat is a healthy fat, not the other way around. 30% of your fat intake should be saturated.[/quote]

Pretty sure its from losing almost 150lbs, not from from his fat intake.

[quote]chrisrodx wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
pmiller383 wrote:
Bri Hildebrandt wrote:

This could be part of your problem. Saturated fat is a healthy fat, not the other way around. 30% of your fat intake should be saturated.

Pretty sure its from losing almost 150lbs, not from from his fat intake. [/quote]

Uggghh… seriously. I’m not saying it’s is fat intake that is the issue- but his general attitude towards nutrition. He needs to get educated on nutrition more, as he is likely starving himself on ricecakes and chicken breasts. How else do you lose 1/2 your body weight?

Learn to read between the lines man.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
chrisrodx wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
pmiller383 wrote:
Bri Hildebrandt wrote:

Uggghh… seriously. I’m not saying it’s is fat intake that is the issue- but his general attitude towards nutrition. He needs to get educated on nutrition more, as he is likely starving himself on ricecakes and chicken breasts. How else do you lose 1/2 your body weight?

Learn to read between the lines man.[/quote]

Ah ok I see what your saying now. Your right, good point.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
chrisrodx wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
pmiller383 wrote:
Bri Hildebrandt wrote:

Learn to read between the lines man.[/quote]

I can honestly state that i would rather starve than mess with rice cakes. To be serious though I used alot of the nutrition knowledge from this site (Dr.Berardi is a great man in my opinion) to loss the weight, i just took it a little to serious. Also i trained my ass off over the summer and i was doing a ton of landscaping. It all had a pretty synergestic effect i guess. Thanks to you all for the advice so far.

Some very godo points have been made here, notably about “reading between the lines.” I’m doing that as well, and as an ex-FBB a long time ago, I imagine you have emotional ties and issues with food, as well.

Someone suggested that if you’re happy and active you’ll “need” food less, and I second that. When I was inbetween my second and third marriages (yeah, I know…, where was Cy Willson to advise me?), I found myself eating far too much when alone at night. Didn’t matter if it was clean food or garbage, still, it was carb-based and waaaay too many calories at the wrong time of day.

Completely cut out junk food, including packaged carbs and fat and salt, so you get those tastes out of your buds. They’ll change and you’ll lost much of the attraction, but you need to find passion in life, as well, so you don’t “need” food.

Eat tuna and water only for three days.

After all this advice, hearty congrats for losing so much weight and working so damn hard; I’m proud of you.

[quote]john koenig wrote:
Some very godo points have been made here, notably about “reading between the lines.” I’m doing that as well, and as an ex-FBB a long time ago, I imagine you have emotional ties and issues with food, as well.

Someone suggested that if you’re happy and active you’ll “need” food less, and I second that. When I was inbetween my second and third marriages (yeah, I know…, where was Cy Willson to advise me?), I found myself eating far too much when alone at night. Didn’t matter if it was clean food or garbage, still, it was carb-based and waaaay too many calories at the wrong time of day.

Completely cut out junk food, including packaged carbs and fat and salt, so you get those tastes out of your buds. They’ll change and you’ll lost much of the attraction, but you need to find passion in life, as well, so you don’t “need” food.

Eat tuna and water only for three days.

After all this advice, hearty congrats for losing so much weight and working so damn hard; I’m proud of you.[/quote]

Does the water and tuna thing really work or should i be reading between the lines for that. otherwise thanks for the advice i am defiently willing to try anything to cut this appetite down because it is defiently ruining my life.