T Nation

Uncommon Muscle Imbalances?

Common advice tells us we should strengthen the hell out of our glutes, lower abs, upper back and shoulder external rotators.

However, has anyone ever gotten some sort of imbalance-related injury from having glutes that were too strong in comparison to their hip flexors? Or lower abs that were too strong compared to their erector spinae? Or upper back too strong in comparison to their pecs? Or shoulder external rotators that were too strong compared to their shoulder internal rotators?

Is it even possible to get imbalances ‘the other way around’? In other words, if you just trained your glutes, lower abs, upper back, and shoulder external rotators, and ignored every other muscle group (like quads, hip flexors, chest…etc…), would you pretty much have perfect posture and never suffer imbalance-related injuries?

I’ve personally never seen a case like that, but I can easily see it happening. Logic dictates that if you cut someone’s pectorals or quads out then they’re going to have some really funky issues moving. The reason you won’t see it happening that often is because of our lifestyles. Sitting down most of the day, always reaching forward and so on.

I remember a member called alternate who did pretty much what you were asking, always training his posterior chain and so on, never anterior. I personally don’t see it ending well for him. In the short run to correct present imbalances then it should work, but in the long term your posture will definitely not be perfect. Going back to my previous example, take out your quads and see how it affects your walking and standing.

there is actually something called a posterior pelvic tilt, which is, obviously, the opposite to anterior pelvic tilt.

it’s about as common as a leprechaun riding a unicorn right enough.

generally speaking, pretty much everyone has the same posture deficits as everyone else, just to varying degrees

lunk is alternate…he just made a new name

[quote]smallmike wrote:
lunk is alternate…he just made a new name[/quote]

Hmm… I think you’re right there. Two people having the same list of issues like that would be very odd. Wonder what the point of making a new name is if you keep asking the same questions and the same writing style…

[quote]238 wrote:

[quote]smallmike wrote:
lunk is alternate…he just made a new name[/quote]

Hmm… I think you’re right there. Two people having the same list of issues like that would be very odd. Wonder what the point of making a new name is if you keep asking the same questions and the same writing style…[/quote]

If this is true, which it most probably is… Your previous post was an absolute classic!

[quote]238 wrote:
I remember a member called alternate who did pretty much what you were asking, always training his posterior chain and so on, never anterior. I personally don’t see it ending well for him. In the short run to correct present imbalances then it should work, but in the long term your posture will definitely not be perfect. Going back to my previous example, take out your quads and see how it affects your walking and standing.[/quote]