T Nation

Unbelievable Police Brutality

They’re going to get fired and prosecuted and not even get the satisfaction of having taught him a lesson because the guy was unconscious so he didn’t even remember the beating that he deserved.

DB

[quote]PaddyM wrote:
Cops have emotions too, think of that guy trying to run over a friend or family member. I would have beaten the shit out of his unconscious body too. Hell, even if he was dead I would have punched and kicked him. The firing is for PR, even the person who made that decision didn’t want to.[/quote]

Imagining that it was my family member, this enraging me to beat the shit out of him may explain why the shit was beat out of him, but it certainly doesn’t make it right.

i’m just thinking of all the people minding their own business driving that day on the 50 mile strip of road this lunatic was tearing through.

you have a camera in your car…you have…a camera…in - your - car

i think a lot of cops are way too gung-ho anyway and theyre sitting around all day thinking theyre going to get in shootouts and bank robberies and what not but it never happens so theyre bored all day long or something and just turn everything into a way bigger deal than it was.

for instance, i was at the basketball court before and there were a couple other kids there sitting in the park (it was a night though) anyway so i guess one of them had a single can of beer or some bullshit and next thing i know theres at least 5 cruisers and a paddy wagon on the court…i think i heard a helicopter too.

a few years before that me and my friends were at this other basketball court playing capture the flag and then out of nowhere 8 squad cars roll up. like uhhh sorry for playing capture the flag dude, its not like we were playing dodgeball with bullets.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

i think a lot of cops are way too gung-ho anyway and theyre sitting around all day thinking theyre going to get in shootouts and bank robberies and what not but it never happens so theyre bored all day long or something and just turn everything into a way bigger deal than it was.

[/quote]

I don’t imagine you would refer to this video as an example of this statement I hope.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
you have a camera in your car…you have…a camera…in - your - car

i think a lot of cops are way too gung-ho anyway and theyre sitting around all day thinking theyre going to get in shootouts and bank robberies and what not but it never happens so theyre bored all day long or something and just turn everything into a way bigger deal than it was.

[/quote]

My two cop buddies get in fights daily. Not shootouts but people try to kick their asses on a daily basis. It all depends what neighborhood you’re in.

should they have done it, no. Did the guy deserve it, yes.

Honestly guys, it’s not fair for you to read “oh check out this video where a guy gets ejected, is unconcious, and then gets beat by cops”

you go into the video already with a preconcieved idea, which you mind is quick to make assumptions. where as you see the guy thrown out of the car and go ‘oh yeah, he’s definatly unconcious’. YOU get the luxury of watching it over and over, and being able to focus on w/e aspect you want.

imagine if you had seen it from the cops POV. you watched a 30 second clip. you weren’t part of the 20 min chase, where he blasted around a stopped school bus, ran multiple red lights with no regard to innocent bystanders, then attempted murder on a police officer in front of his fellow brothers.

however, as soon as the van goes to flip, the officers don’t have the luxury of carefully examining the guy as he gets thrown from the car. they have to park their own vehicle, cross lanes of traffic, ect.

the guy landed on his stomach with his hands underneath him. how do you he doesn’t have a gun in his hands, in his waistband? how do you know he doesn’t have a knife. the guy just attempted to KILL one of your fellow police officers, obviously he would have no problem knocking off someone else if he had the means.

as a police officer, i would imagine you try to do everything possible so you can go home to your wife and kids at the end of the day. as well as ensure your fellow officers get to do the same.

was the force excessive? maybe so. can it be justified? i think so.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
Honestly guys, it’s not fair for you to read “oh check out this video where a guy gets ejected, is unconcious, and then gets beat by cops”

you go into the video already with a preconcieved idea, which you mind is quick to make assumptions. where as you see the guy thrown out of the car and go ‘oh yeah, he’s definatly unconcious’. YOU get the luxury of watching it over and over, and being able to focus on w/e aspect you want.

imagine if you had seen it from the cops POV. you watched a 30 second clip. you weren’t part of the 20 min chase, where he blasted around a stopped school bus, ran multiple red lights with no regard to innocent bystanders, then attempted murder on a police officer in front of his fellow brothers.

however, as soon as the van goes to flip, the officers don’t have the luxury of carefully examining the guy as he gets thrown from the car. they have to park their own vehicle, cross lanes of traffic, ect.

the guy landed on his stomach with his hands underneath him. how do you he doesn’t have a gun in his hands, in his waistband? how do you know he doesn’t have a knife. the guy just attempted to KILL one of your fellow police officers, obviously he would have no problem knocking off someone else if he had the means.

as a police officer, i would imagine you try to do everything possible so you can go home to your wife and kids at the end of the day. as well as ensure your fellow officers get to do the same.

was the force excessive? maybe so. can it be justified? i think so.[/quote]

I understand your sentiment and I agreed that it was a passion thing, not just an asshole cops thing, but arguing they were afraid the guy was gonna get up or do something is rediculous. If that were the case, the first guy who ran down the hill would have jumped on him and grabbed for his arms, pulled them behind his back and cuffed him. He was so enraged that he fell down trying to hit him with his club and had to get back up to lay another shot into him, if anything they further endangered themselves because he gave the guy more time and more incentive to pull a gun out from under his body and start shooting. And the guy teeing off on his head while he was being held and hit by other officers. Again, I understand it but it is not defensible in any way shape or form. THAT guy definately needs to be let go, I could live with suspensions for some of the others but they would need to be severe and without pay.

V

I think it was great! They should have tazed him too, and let one of their police German Shepherds chew his face off.

That POS risked many lives, we are to easy on dumbfucks these days.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
I like police brutality and have no problem with it.Police deal with the scum of our society everyday and even they get mad.

Sometimes poeple needs there asses kicked,its not like our judicial system is gonna do anything that is so bad our criminal will stop breaking the law.[/quote]

Fuck that. They choose to be police officers. If they don’t have the moral courage, temperament and aptitude to deal with those scum of society in a responsible, humane, adult fashion than they don’t deserve their jobs.

We’re only free from tyranny if all of us are free from tyranny.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Two of my best friends are officers in Philadelphia (where 5 officers have been killed in the line of duty over the past 3 years or so) …[/quote]

Yeah Lanky, everytime I turned on the TV recently, it seems another cop was killed ITLOD. I live 20 minutes from Philly, so it’s big news here. Didn’t they just name a street after a fallen officer?

Anyway, my agent was a photojournalist back in the seventies, but she quit the day she witnessed a cop being killed in a shootout.

IMO they could have killed him and it would have been justified. Fuck that guy.

[quote]Vegita wrote:

I understand your sentiment and I agreed that it was a passion thing, not just an asshole cops thing, but arguing they were afraid the guy was gonna get up or do something is rediculous. If that were the case, the first guy who ran down the hill would have jumped on him and grabbed for his arms, pulled them behind his back and cuffed him. He was so enraged that he fell down trying to hit him with his club and had to get back up to lay another shot into him, if anything they further endangered themselves because he gave the guy more time and more incentive to pull a gun out from under his body and start shooting. And the guy teeing off on his head while he was being held and hit by other officers. Again, I understand it but it is not defensible in any way shape or form. THAT guy definately needs to be let go, I could live with suspensions for some of the others but they would need to be severe and without pay.

V[/quote]

i could deal with that. I just don’t feel all of the officers should of recieved the same sentence.

However I disagree when saying if they felt he was a threat he would of immediatly went for the arms to handcuff. Like I said, he landed with his arms underneath his body. You are assuming the police officer watched the suspect be ejected from his car, land down, and not move. when in reality there are hundreds of things the officer could of had his attention focused on (parking his crusier, crossing lanes of traffice, reporting to dispatch on his radio, ect). all you can be sure of is that he was running up on a suspect who has moments earlier tried to kill a police officer with his car and is now laying on top of his hands.

The most venurable part for a cop is the moment he is about to cuff a suspect. Both of your hands must be used, and you are in extremely close proximity to the suspect. you need to ensure you have full control over the subject. Now, could they of waited a few moments to acess that the suspect was unconcious? maybe, but maybe he just had the wind knocked out of him. in those few moments he oculd of caught his breath, rolled over, and pumped out a few rounds. i think the first hit with a baton (where the officer slips) was absolutly justifiable, maybe even a few more after.

the dude standing over his head just going to town? not so much.

the suspect actually ran over the officers left leg. ended up getting a 20 year sentence.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

But seriously,what the hell is the point of beating an unconscious guy??

[/quote]

The satisfaction of knowing he will have lots of bruises when he wakes up. hahaha

Seriously, The cops should have shown restraint and acted professionally. I can’t say That I wouldn’t have done the same thing though.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
Two of my best friends are officers in Philadelphia (where 5 officers have been killed in the line of duty over the past 3 years or so) …

Yeah Lanky, everytime I turned on the TV recently, it seems another cop was killed ITLOD. I live 20 minutes from Philly, so it’s big news here. Didn’t they just name a street after a fallen officer?

Anyway, my agent was a photojournalist back in the seventies, but she quit the day she witnessed a cop being killed in a shootout.

[/quote]

They have named a street after one of the fallen officers, though I forget which one.

I’m just sick of having to hear about how police officers are dying and are subsequently chastized for using undue force. Like holymac said, unless one is in the situation who is anyone to judge what undue force is? I’ve been to too many benefits at this point to judge police officers about how they do their job.

If I was a police officer I’d do whatever it took to look out for myself and my family. If you don’t like the police using undue force then don’t find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

/mini-rant

Obviously excessive but it’s not like he was some peaceful demonstrator being beaten or anything.

He’s tried to kill some of those guys.

I generally dislike cops but I don’t see this as being as bad as some of the other stuff I’ve seen them do.

Fuck that punk, think about your wife or kid going to the mall or school or where ever all the sudden this fuck wad comes rolling through at 90mph and takes them out, does he deserve the beat down, HELL YES he does. Thankfully the guy didn’t kill anyone but he had the ability to and obviously didn’t care about anyone else for 50 miles, I would have beat his ass too.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
you have a camera in your car…you have…a camera…in - your - car

i think a lot of cops are way too gung-ho anyway and theyre sitting around all day thinking theyre going to get in shootouts and bank robberies and what not but it never happens so theyre bored all day long or something and just turn everything into a way bigger deal than it was.

My two cop buddies get in fights daily. Not shootouts but people try to kick their asses on a daily basis. It all depends what neighborhood you’re in.[/quote]

im talking about where i live and nothing is ever really that serious so i think the cops are all just sitting there with their feet tapping just waiting for the day when they get to be a hero or something.

@ the other guy, i would use this as a reference in that you have a situation where police officers are unable to restrain themselves and act appropriately. those officers over reacting a shitload. i think police departments probably attract that kind of mentality though. same thing with marines or army but it isnt how it is on TV. i could be totally wrong though but thats what i think.

I don’t think anyone here is debating whether or not he deserved a beating. His actions were irresponsable and could have lead to the death or serious injury of members of the public.

Should he be punished? Clearly YES! This is besides the point.

I understand (HolyMac, LankyMofo) that officers need to save their asses. If I were running in there to make the arrest I would make sure (with a baton, stun gun whatever) that he was incapacitated as well. Sure, the officers might not have noticed he was unconcious at first (or that he was ejected from the car in the process). It happened quickly and human error is to be expected.

What is no OK is the fact that after the initial precautionary measures had taken place (few hits etc) they kept going.

Sure, EMOTIONALlY we can all understand why they did it. I don’t think anyone doesn’t but as police officers, they have a duty to uphold the law. If they didn’t then what would seperate a democratic and lawful state from a totalitarian or primitive one whereby everyone could take the law in their own hands?

Its a shame that hard working men who risk their lives had to be fired for such a short emotional over reaction but it is unacceptable to behave in such a manner (as representatives of the law). Suspensions would probably have been a better alternative.

PS. Attached pic of convict.