Unbalanced Upper/Lower body

Now we know that there are plenty of top heavy people out there (think ham-hocks) but what about the bottom heavy people out there?

I’ve never had a developed upper body, even though I focus just as much time on my back, traps, shoulders, arms and chest as I do my legs. Almost all of the upper body lifting I do is compound (bent-over rows, bb/db bench, push-press, standing shoulder press, etc.) yet my leg development far surpasses it. Granted, I am do have a genetically gifted lower body as I can stop lifting for several months and hardly lose strength in my legs, but lose EVERYTHING up top.

What can I do with my upper/lower 4 day split to make sure that my upper body is on par with my lower body? It’s frustrating to have the lower body of a 190 lb. guy, but look 150 lbs. up top.

What do I do?

just keep at it. you should make bigger gains in upper body, unless its genetics. if its genetics then the only way is to simply stop training lower body but that will rid you of some increased growth hormones, testosterone, better metabolism etc

My lower body definitely looks to be ahead of the upper, but it may be just my frame - I have very short clavicles and small wrists but my ankles and knees aren’t that small. I don’t really care as I’m trying to get bigger everywhere, though buying suits is a lot more difficult than it should be for someone as small as me.

Prioritize your training. Do upper body early in the week, and first in your workouts.

Switch to maintenance training for lower body and hit upper from as many different angles as you can. Max effort, dynamic effort, repitition effort. Horizontal and vertical pressing, horizontal and vertical pulling.

[quote]HOV wrote:
Max effort, dynamic effort, repitition effort. Horizontal and vertical pressing, horizontal and vertical pulling.[/quote]

I’m definitely hitting my upper from all angles with verticals like chins, push press and standing shoulder press. My horizontals I have covered with my bent-over row, t-bar row, cable pulls and incline/flat benching. Plus, my first upper day (Tuesday) is done with heavy weight at a 4x5 scheme. My last day (Friday) I go slightly lower weight with a 3x10 scheme.