T Nation

unable to train

This is my first post after a long time of reading and learning…

I am injured and unable to train for about 4 weeks (broken leg). Becuase I’m so used to working out it’s killing me mentally! I have been doing abdominal work and body weight-type lifts, but I am unable to do much in the way of cardio or weights.

Prior to injury, I was following a fairly strict low-carb diet plan, most carbs coming from vegetables. Now that I can’t workout nearly as much, I have a lot more down-time…and a lot less willpower. What would you suggest I do for the rest of my “sentence” in terms of diet and training that will reduce the amount of muscle loss and slow fat storage?

Stormgrl one my clients that I trained in NYC had a broken leg. He had knee surgery and everything he still came in gym 3-5 days out of the week doing upper body stuff as for cardio he would go on the UBE for 1/2 hour or so. And somedays will just focus on core muscle abs and lower back. This guy was also 60 years old! I couldn’t believe the dedication he had!

I would train him twice out of week 1/2 hour sessions. And believe he worked! :slight_smile:

I can relate. I probably won’t be able to train for at least 8 weeks starting next week. Can you train upper body? Definitely take Glutamine. Methoxy-7 would be good if you’re able to afford it. As far as nutrition, eat even more protein than you do now, eat healthy fats, and continue to keep your carb intake low.

Good luck. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

I can relate, I spent the month of March laid out with a broken rib (amongst other injuries) and Viked up :). I couldn’t even sit on the couch without pain, let alone workout. That was a boring month, I had to develop new hobbies for my new found spare time. As for food, my only advice is to surround yourself with healthy snacks you like (not too much help, I know). If you are doing some stuff in the gym, fat gain shouldn’t be too big of a concern, especially as your hunger will probably diminish as a result of the activity decrease.

A warning though, take it slooowwwww coming back. I went from sedentary to full load with only a week’s transition period and developed tendonitis in my elbow. That was after only a month off.

Best of luck.

Fitone said it with Glutamine. It is used mostly with physical therapy patients. It is used to prevent rapid loss of strength.