Umbilical Hernia, Help

Hi Coach
I was training for the weight loss phase when I discover to have an umbilical hernia , just inside the belly button , as big as a pea , asymptomatic.
The doctor tells me it must be kept under observation , this size is now to not care about, but that it would be appropriate to stop lifting.

I’ve heard that the only remedy for this problem is surgery ,but the time for that is not now, according to the surgeon.

I would certainly continue to train, perhaps making changes to my program, thus trying to avoid as much as possible enlargement of the hernia.

What I was doing so far was 5 days of lifting per week + 1 day of metabolic training.

1 ) SD bench press : heavy (ramp to 1 or 3 rm ) density (upper back assistance work between sets ) ; rings , inverted row; carries

2 ) Front Squat : heavy (ramp to 3 or 6 rm ) ; density ; carries

3 ) High Pull : (ramp to 3 rm ) ; density,
� � � � lats ( lot of row variations with bb, db , pulley ) and biceps ( standing and sitting curls )

1. Bench press : (ramp to 3 or 6 rm ), density (upper back assistance work between sets ) ; rings , inverted row.

5 ) Trap bar : heavy (ramp to 3 or 6 rm ), density ( Kb swings between sets x 20 reps )

1. metabolic circuit (bw, kb, db…)

I do not have any experience on this problem, but perhaps the exercises for the upper part could still stay ;

my concern is for the exercises of the lower part , including abdominal exercises.

What exercises should be avoided and replaced with what ( sets/reps)?

I kindly ask you any advice will help me, having to live with this situation for the near future.

Thank you very much

Not CT, but I had inguinal hernia and it’s a b*tch. One side I got fixed, the other side is same situation as you (it’s weak so the doctor said it could be 10 months or 10 years before I need to get that side operated on). You are correct, only surgery can fix the problem (I had 3 months of no lifting/running to allow full recovery).

If you are worried, then stick with Isolation movements, Hammer Strength machines have been very good to me. Leg curls and leg extensions should allow you to train heavy for lower body without involving the abdomen area. I also bought a good quality electric muscle stimulator (the kind with pre-programmed settings for hypertrophy, strength, ect). I try as best as I can to train without solid foods in my stomach and empty my bowels before training.

Good luck to you!

Also you can maybe try occlusion training for Leg curls/extensions.

I developed a noticeable umbilical hernia 15 years ago so I researched it. First, if you have an umbilical hernia, it means that you were born with the opening. It may enlarge slightly. Second, the umbilical hernia basically only has underlying fat, unlike other hernias where the intestines are directly under the opening. So there is really no potential for a prolapse of internal material like there is with other hernia.

I mean, technically the umbilical opening IS a hernial opening, in everyone.

At the time, I was squatting about 345. It got a little larger for a year, then stopped growing, mostly because at maybe 1 cm across there is not much pressure anymore. I’ve squatted up to 455 and haven’t thought about it for 12 years until I read your post.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
I developed a noticeable umbilical hernia 15 years ago so I researched it. First, if you have an umbilical hernia, it means that you were born with the opening. It may enlarge slightly. Second, the umbilical hernia basically only has underlying fat, unlike other hernias where the intestines are directly under the opening. So there is really no potential for a prolapse of internal material like there is with other hernia.

At the time, I was squatting about 345. It got a little larger for a year, then stopped growing, mostly because at maybe 1 cm across there is not much pressure anymore. I’ve squatted up to 455 and haven’t thought about it for 12 years until I read your post. [/quote] Cool, sounds like this type of hernia is not so bad.

Thanks to all for your answers

Thanks to all for your answers

[quote]Basara187 wrote:
Also you can maybe try occlusion training for Leg curls/extensions.[/quote]

I have no experience in this regard. thanks

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

At the time, I was squatting about 345. It got a little larger for a year, then stopped growing, mostly because at maybe 1 cm across there is not much pressure anymore. I’ve squatted up to 455 and haven’t thought about it for 12 years until I read your post. [/quote]

I feel only a slight tingling , tension here and there on the abdomen during exercise , a very light feeling , however it is certain paranoid knowing that you have this while you work out, especially if you do it intensely , engaging your core solidly as it should be .

for the moment I would do so (by way of experimentation and of course wide open to receive all the advice possible ) :

SD bench press day: ramp to 3-6 rm + density + triceps + Bear hug carry

squat day: change for lunges, step , leg ext , bw squats… ( 4 sets x 6-10 reps )

high pull day: ramp to 3 rm + density + biceps + (maybe few isolation supersets for hamstrings ) carries

bench press day: ramp to 3-6 rm + density + triceps + Bear hug carry

Trap bar day: change for bulgarian , rdl , long lunges ,leg curls, reverse hypers … ( 4 sets x 6-10 reps )( maybe kb swings during sets)

Lats : row variations + metabolic circuit

Sure it’s not quite the same thing , I had never done a workout without squats or trap bar.
However it is not easy, the intra- abdominal pressure is everywhere , even not doing squats or trap bar .

About direct Abs exercises I have not yet understood whether and how it can be done, if at least the planks would be nice.
can squat / trap bar with high reps or explosive (60% of 1 RM) ensure lower abdominal pressure?
Carries is still good?
Do you know if the use of bandage may worsen it?

Thanks a lot

I’m 56 so my connective tissue is entering the “suspect” period. I make sure that the roll of my lifting belt covers mine. Less sore in the area after lifting. I’m squatting in the 400s and hit a DL double at 545 the other day. I decided not to worry, but, I am wearing a belt now.

I also talked to a top thoracic surgeon. He told me he could mesh it, but I asked him what is the worst that can happen with an umbilical hernia, and he said, you know what, I have never seen nor heard of anyone with an intestinal prolapse from an umbilical hernia. At some point, it widens a little, pressure gets reduced, and really that’s it.

maybe at this level it is not necessary to give up on squats and trap bar, maybe working them with ramp to 5-6RM, waves in the range of 75-85%, straight sets of 6-10 reps and doing bulgarian, lunges, not the main thing, but only as assistance work.
what about carries or direct abdominal work?
intuitively I would be only on static holds, planks …

the umbilical truss seems to me to increase the pressure

Hi Willy, did you get surgery to fix your hernia?

Hi Guys, i was recently disgnosed with Umbilical Hernia. The doctor said operation in not that necessary but caution is needed. I was wondering if you know any exercise that I can do that is safe. Can I still play basketball?