Ultra Fittest Man In The World!

[quote]Davo wrote:

As an indicator, i have a 140kg bench press at 70kg, but run a 2:40 marathon.

[/quote]

Sweet!!!

Are you able to maintain a similarly impressive squat, or does the running cut into the leg strength too much for this to be possible?

[quote]ZEB wrote:
To the other posters on this thread: Anyone who thinks that this event is easy really needs to take a closer look at it. It is a very serious competition. Hywel and his competitiors are some of the best athletes in the world in my opinion![/quote]

Got to agree with Zeb. This would be “easy” if you just did this at a leisurely pace. Doing this in 14 minutes is impressive.

On another note, this would make a pretty good GPP circuit.

press ups and 40kg bench yet no lower body strength exercise!

My fitness changes over the year and i peak and drop for certain events.

as far as lower body goes, i stopped squatting a long time agao but use cleans and deadlifts still in winter training. Weight here is not so impressive. I prefer to use plyometric training such as doing squat jumps with 25kg dumbells. The competitions rightly pointed out do not test lower body strength.

My Ironman time is around 9.10 for an average course. I am training for Austria next year and hope to break 9 hours.

Chins, not something i train a lot at any more but i once did 56 in one go.

Bodyfat, dont test it much but stay at around 8-10 most of the year. It mainly comes from doing a mix of endurance and lots of high intensity weight training.

A good test that i used to do is the number of reps in 3 mins you can do with a 45kg bar on the bench press. I know its totally different to how you guys train but may give you an insight into what the different demands are if you can hit 180+ reps (racking is allowed but you dont stop the time)

[quote]Davo wrote:
Chins, not something i train a lot at any more but i once did 56 in one go.[/quote]

Okay, my 40 Chins in a row does not look so impressive anymore…

This is interesting because no matter how hard I train to lower my own body fat I have a very difficult time getting it under 8%. I think there is a natural tendency for the body to not go lower than 8% because of health reasons. Just a guess…

Thanks for your response!

Good article. Welcome to the forum Mr Davies. I found it good in the end of the article that Mr Davies wanted to take a look at the US and their similar competitions to find something that’s suitable. Good luck on triathalon competition.