T Nation

Ultimate Workout

Just thought i'd ask the question....Coach CT out of all your great programmes what one do you like most and would highly reccomend to the average Joe who wants to pack on some mass and strength to go with it

Didn’t you just ask questions about the built for bad circuits?

Yes and ive started it,its just a question to see what he considers the best out of all his programes

[quote]boppa818 wrote:
Yes and ive started it,its just a question to see what he considers the best out of all his programes[/quote]

None. I do not believe that any coach can write a “best program”. For several reasons:

1. No two persons are exactly alike. While a “general” program (a program published on a website not designed for a specific person) will work great, it will not be perfectly adapted to everybody. I believe that training is all about “solving problems”… finding a weakness or trouble spot that someone has, and finding the best way to fix it with training. As such the “best program” for someone will not be “best” for everybody. Furthermore what was “best” for you a few months back might not be “best” anymore because you might not have the same problems to fix.

2. The goal of training is NOT to do a list of “chores” (sets and reps of exercises) it is to create a response from the body. The important thing is NOT the program. There is nothing magical about doing something written on a piece of paper. What’s important is the physiological reaction that happens in the body when you do the program. I always preferred to focus on the quality of execution rather than on the piece of paper. So to me the “best” program depends on what you execute in the gym not on what is written on a piece of paper.

3. A program has 4 purposes.

(1) to protect the extremists against themselves… passionate peoples tend to do too much if they are left to themselves and slow down their gains because of that, the program gives them boundaries to respect to keep the training manageable

(2) to structure training in a logical way. Everything will work provided that it’s not foolish. A lot of people have no structure in the gym, what they do lacks rhyme or reason. You can’t get optimal results like that

(3) to motivate you. I honestly believe that the ONLY thing that really matters to get results is working hard, with a purpose/high focus. If you do that any program (that is not stupid or illogical) will work. A lot of people who follow a “known” program (something that was written by a top coach for example) tend to be more motivated and focused. They get seduced by a concept and that gives them more confidence and motivation to train hard, as a result they get more gains. The program that gets YOU amped up to train might not be the same one that gets ME amped up to train. And the one that amps you up the most will be the “best” program for you.

(4) to give you a progression model and a way to fix your weaknesses. When to add weight, when to add sets, etc. And which exercises and methods to do. A program is ONLY THE PHYSICAL REPRESENTATION of a STRATREGY aimed at making you progress. What is important is NOT the program, it’s the strategy behind the program. While a program you find on the internet can work GREAT for you, if it fits your needs, it might not be the best strategy. And it’s important to understand the strategy behind the program to see if it’s a good option for you.

Wise words indeed thanks CT,I only asked because like many out there im keen to learn etc and its hard to pick a prorame out of so many good ones as we are spoilt for choice.Will give the one I like the look at Built for bad as ive allways wondered about high freqency training …thanks again

Well, I’ve done multiple of your general programs written for the internet (and liked them all), BUT given your comments above, what would you recommend for someone who wants to take it a step further and get a program designed specifically for their weaknesses?

Basically they either have to have the experience/knowledge to design one for themselves or hire a coach, right? The former takes expertise and the latter can be difficult (to find a truly qualified trainer/coach).

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]boppa818 wrote:
Yes and ive started it,its just a question to see what he considers the best out of all his programes[/quote]

None. I do not believe that any coach can write a “best program”. For several reasons:
ETC
[/quote]

clap, clap, clap This is why I am a CT fan. Amazing response to an all too common question. Thanks for taking the time to formulate such an informative and easy to understand response. It illustrates your true understanding of weight lifting. Ok, back to trolling these lovely forums, I just felt I should poke in here with a quick thanks to show my gratitude.

CT, thank you for giving this kinds of insight.
Your awesome.

(Hoping for more Thibs desk pieces/thougths, those are like the extra tasty raisins in cornflakes: refreshing and great)