Ultimate Fighter 5 4/26

[quote]brokenground wrote:
SO MANY GUYS WOULD KILL TO BE THERE. I want to know how wang and Gabe were chosen. There had to be better candidates.

-extremely frustrated.[/quote]

I’m thinking that Dana purposely picks a few “weaker” fighters for the show every year to generate controversy.

Gabe is the biggest pussy I’ve ever seen on this show. This season is a train wreck that I can’t stop watching. How many times can one man cry on this show.

Above all he knew he had to be 155 a long time ago. You can’t make it by shoving ice cream cake down your neck. All he did was waste the time of his team mates, the coaches, and Dana White.

Oh BTW at the end there, he only had 3 pounds to go…Jeeze. Oh the drama.

[quote]Frank Castle wrote:
another classic episode. with Gabe whispering “just put me in…I can do this”
HAHAHAHHHAHAHAHWGHWAHAHAHA oh man what a drama queen. Im glad Dana shitcanned him though. I watched with my girl who said she felt like she was watching some MTV reality show. I had to agree. We didnt even get a fight out of it.

Ive said before, just for pure entertainment value I’ll take 45 minutes of drama and man tears as long as we get a decent fight at the end.

Oh howbout Cory Hill saying “yeah im just a normal dude, I eat burgers and fries with the kids”, meanwhile hes shredded to the bone at like %6 bf, granted hes a skinny bastard but still…[/quote]

Cory also works out like a mad man, at least in the clips I’ve seen. I think you can get away with eating a burger and fries once in a while with good genetics + work ethic. I used to play hockey with this guy who was absolutely shredded man, dumb as a brick. Said he hardly even works out.

Thank God Gabe is gone. A true reality TV camera-hog all the way to the end. That scene yesterday was a joke. I’ll give Spike this, they did do a good job of editing the show, as they were pretty effective in burying Gabe by having all the guys rip on him during the scenes of him trying to make weight.

BJ Penn laughing made me laugh. He’s a funny dude.

This season has been very disappointing so far. The Emerson-Diaz fight wasn’t as great as what Dana and others have made it out to be. Yes it was competitive, but I don’t know if I’d say it was the best fight out of all 5 seasons. If you include the finales, then there’s no way that fight was better than Griffin-Bonnar or Herman-Grove.

Thankfully next week we get to see Joe Lauzon fight. Should be interesting to see if Pulver gives the guy props for KO’ing his ass last year.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
If you include the finales, then there’s no way that fight was better than Griffin-Bonnar or Herman-Grove.[/quote]

I don’t think Dana is including the finales. He’s only talking about the ‘exhibition’ fights that take place at the UFC training facility with no audience. Even then, I wouldn’t call Diaz-Emerson the best fight of the series.

• Cummo-Morgan was a back-and-forth affair that ended with a sweet muay thai knee to the noggin KO.

• Burkman-Guillard was a fast-paced war with tons of great takedowns, scrambles, and sweeps.

• Bonnar finishing off an over-aggressive Mike Swick with a triangle was good stuff

• Tito’s called shot on the high kick in the Singer-Hutcherson fight was a thing of beauty even if the kick itself was hideous.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:

BJ Penn laughing made me laugh. He’s a funny dude.

Thankfully next week we get to see Joe Lauzon fight. Should be interesting to see if Pulver gives the guy props for KO’ing his ass last year.[/quote]

agreed on both counts. not sure why they haven’t played it up more, because Joe basically squashed alot of Jens marketability and hype on his ufc return with that fight. Given their tactics lately, youd think theyd milk it for some bullshit rivalry aspect.

oh and speaking of 155’ers why the fuck hasnt shawn sherk had to defend his belt lately? all they hype they are putting out there with the lightweights yet I havent heard anything about any upcoming title fights for it…

not sure why they haven’t played it up more, because Joe basically squashed alot of Jens marketability and hype on his ufc return with that fight. Given their tactics lately, youd think theyd milk it for some bullshit rivalry aspect. [/quote]

They’ve been saving it. They had to hold something back to fill up air time now that Gabe ‘the attention whore’ Ruediger has been kicked to the curb. I suspect they’ll focus on the Lauzon-Pulver fight quite a bit in the coming weeks.

oh and speaking of 155’ers why the fuck hasnt shawn sherk had to defend his belt lately? all they hype they are putting out there with the lightweights yet I havent heard anything about any upcoming title fights for it…[/quote]

Sherk has been out with a bum shoulder. He had surgery immediately following the Florian fight and was subsequently shelved for six months to nine months. He is rumored to be making his first title defense in July against Hermes Franca.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
Dedicated wrote:
eir hard.

I caught that part last week where the skinny kid was ready to take his shirt off because of the writing on the wall with his G chain swinging from his neck. Looked totally ridiculous and last nights cry fest didn’t inspire thoughts of him being a warrior.

D

i bet he could whup your ass. [/quote]

You know, that’s what eats my ass the hardest. He probably could kick my ass. That said, I think he’s a bitch too. I don’t train to be an MMA fighter though. In any case, I used to box too. I sucked pretty hard at it but I learned a lot and it made me a better fighter than some schmoe on the street. All this said, and I am more getting on Gabe’s ass here, but while it takes a lot of balls to get in the ring/octagon in the first place, there is a second kind of courage found in discipline.

It takes courage to have to get up at 5 am and put your roadwork in when you just want to sleep. Discipline is physical courage. It takes courage to fight your urge to go play playstation when you have a test the next day and keep your eyes on your books. It takes courage to put down the damned piece of cake, or to get your ass in the sauna when you’re drained from making weight. Buuuuut, it takes an equal amount of courage to stay disciplined week in and week out and NOT have to battle to make weight in those last 2 hours.

So that said, to hell with em both.

mike

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
texasguy wrote:
Dedicated wrote:
eir hard.

I caught that part last week where the skinny kid was ready to take his shirt off because of the writing on the wall with his G chain swinging from his neck. Looked totally ridiculous and last nights cry fest didn’t inspire thoughts of him being a warrior.

D

i bet he could whup your ass.

You know, that’s what eats my ass the hardest. He probably could kick my ass. That said, I think he’s a bitch too. I don’t train to be an MMA fighter though. In any case, I used to box too. I sucked pretty hard at it but I learned a lot and it made me a better fighter than some schmoe on the street. All this said, and I am more getting on Gabe’s ass here, but while it takes a lot of balls to get in the ring/octagon in the first place, there is a second kind of courage found in discipline.

It takes courage to have to get up at 5 am and put your roadwork in when you just want to sleep. Discipline is physical courage. It takes courage to fight your urge to go play playstation when you have a test the next day and keep your eyes on your books. It takes courage to put down the damned piece of cake, or to get your ass in the sauna when you’re drained from making weight. Buuuuut, it takes an equal amount of courage to stay disciplined week in and week out and NOT have to battle to make weight in those last 2 hours.

So that said, to hell with em both.

mike[/quote]

Great post!

I mean if you go on a show that is 155lbs why would you show up a pudgy 180? I don’t get it! He souldve been glad he didn’t get picked the first week, and got on the treadmill…

Did he ever even intend to make weight?

BJ’s selection method, while pretty funny to watch, appears to have backfired a bit on him this season. I’m hoping they don’t get blanked…that would be fairly depressing, but they still have J-Lau and Matt Wiman in the pipe.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
BJ’s selection method, while pretty funny to watch, appears to have backfired a bit on him this season. I’m hoping they don’t get blanked…that would be fairly depressing, but they still have J-Lau and Matt Wiman in the pipe.

[/quote]

They won’t get blanked.

Lauzon, Maynard, & Wiman are mortal locks to crush Geraghty, Sims & Weems.

…I guess they “hand out” black belts these days. New tagline…

THE ULTIMATE CRYER

J-Lau with the decisive win. That elbow woudlve crushed dudes skull. Next fight coming soon.

EDIT- an infuriating 3 round fight between Emerson and Cory. Cory adopted sort of a Tim Sylvia style jab/counter punch game plan. Understandably he wants to use his reach but be a bit more agressive with it.
Not that impressed with what I thought would be a better fight.

Hill got a frickin gift

I thought the Hill/Emerson fight was fairly slow and boring, particularly considering how great we’ve been led to believe they both are. Hill seems to have been given the win primarily for being more aggressive and trying harder to win, even though it appeared Emerson was more effective.

I only started watching TUF towards the end of last season, and I’ve been hooked on this one all the way through. I think it’s a great way to introduce the fans to new fighters.

I’m not a huge fan of the team format, I think a straight up round-robin type tournament would be better, where everybody gets to fight everybody else. That said, it makes good marketing sense to pit Pulver vs. Penn in order to hype their next match.

Too much crying and “Real World” back-stage drama so far, but that also makes sense - keep the casual TV fans interested in the brand, and put more training vids on the website to keep the fight fans coming back for more.

C+ so far.

Not sure how Hill got that decision. He didn’t do anything in the third round. Yes, he moved forward, but I didn’t see him land any effective blows. Emerson got in several good leg kicks and also had a couple of good counter shots.

You can’t blame Emerson for backing up. Against a guy that tall, that’s what you should do; let the taller guy move into your range and then throw counter punches/kicks when the taller guy closes the distance. It’s strategy. I guess the judges didn’t get that.

Lauzon has to be the clear-cut favorite after last night’s 1-sided performance.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Hill got a frickin gift
[/quote]

Agreed. At least the first fight was decisive!

The difference between those two fights last night was night and day.

I’ve seen 3 fights on this show and that waste of time episode of the one guy trying to make weight. Only one of them was worth watching and it was over very quickly.

It seems like some of the “fighters” seem to like the idea of being in MMA but when it comes down to getting in the ring they are very, very timid.

That’s an opinion from an uneducated observer anyway.

I record these and now only watch the fight rather than the entire show.

If you are wanting to be a pro fighter, why come out and dance through a bout? Even the $5000 bonus (for guys who are most likely broke) doesn’t motivate?

This show needs a change in format or even recording it will be a waste of time.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Not sure how Hill got that decision. He didn’t do anything in the third round. Yes, he moved forward, but I didn’t see him land any effective blows. Emerson got in several good leg kicks and also had a couple of good counter shots.

You can’t blame Emerson for backing up. Against a guy that tall, that’s what you should do; let the taller guy move into your range and then throw counter punches/kicks when the taller guy closes the distance. It’s strategy. I guess the judges didn’t get that.

Lauzon has to be the clear-cut favorite after last night’s 1-sided performance.[/quote]

marketing. emmerson is a dime a dozen fighter. he’d probably have a few wins, have a few losses and be done. no hype, no money for zuffa.

hill is a tall freak with no experience. given some training, he may make waves.

it was a business decision rather than a fight decision i would bet.

MMA has been rodney kinged.