T Nation

Ultimate Fighter 5 4/26

I respect every fighter that has the guts to step in the octagon. But I can’t respect anyone who won’t listen to their coach.

Andy Wang had absolutely no stand-up against Melendez. I believe he had a 9 inch reach disadvantage and almost every time he tried to kick he got punched in the face. Wang didn’t even use his black belt jiu-jitsu skills to take it to the ground. BJ Penn kept yelling at him to shoot in, but wannbe Bruce Lee wouldn’t listen.

The only thing good about the episode was when BJ Penn immitated Wang crying after the loss.

Yep.

Wang cried like a little girl!

I couldn’t help but laugh at the end when they cut between him balling his eyes out in the dressing room and him in the interview room saying, “When people hear the name Andy Wang, I want them to say; ‘He’s a bad dude. He’s a warrior.’” or whatever the exact quote was.

It was very sad.

1. The guy trains…and his focus on the entire training was TAKEDOWN.

2. In 10 minutes I never saw a concerted effort to dip and go for it, knowing yes he’s gonna get hit in the head a couple times when he does it. He tried to box this guy with a BIG reach advantage.

BJ said “The fight begins when you take him down.”

Wang did exactly what he said he did not want to do, fight the other guys way.

Wang pulls a Forest Griffin and I guarantee people make a bigger deal about it. You want to criticise, try his performance, which I liken to someone who’s figured out one move in a game. Overhand rightx30, it’s got to land big eventually.

I’m pretty sure that ZUFFA wouldn’t have aired footage of Dana White bawling post-Tito. Watch any of the training footage, White’s ability to earn a green light from NSAC was miraculous with his skills.

They should respect their fighters and their marketability equally.

Wang’s never been finished, let alone knocked out, in over 11 professional level fights. I’m sure none of his detractors could do the same.

The team concept is ridiculous and overhyped by TUF’ers. All of these guys are grown men in an individual sport, and almost all of them have long-time training camps and coaches they know and respect. Put them on a jackass reality show for a short time and surround them with like immature clowns, and they are supposed to bond with the team and coach?

BJ Penn is my favorite fighter at 155/170, but I can safely bet that his coaches told him to put down the burritos and sprint for GSP. Maybe if he listened to them, he wouldn’t have to complain about not training hard enough in a questionably close decision loss.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Personally I’m getting tired of this season. It reminds me of two seasons ago. A bunch of punks trash talking for the camera. I mean…it’s sort of like a daytime soap opera. Who cares if someone wrote something on the wall about the other team? Um…that’s just not entertaining TV. At least not for me.

They need to have more video of the guys training, lifting, fighting etc. If this keeps up it’s going to be a ratings loser for Dana White.[/quote]

Well said. The only plus about this season is that the fights are relatively good. I don’t know if it was the change from 3 to 2 rounds, letting the fighters go harder in a shorter period of time, but they are much more entertaining.

[quote]bigblue244 wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
Personally I’m getting tired of this season. It reminds me of two seasons ago. A bunch of punks trash talking for the camera. I mean…it’s sort of like a daytime soap opera. Who cares if someone wrote something on the wall about the other team? Um…that’s just not entertaining TV. At least not for me.

They need to have more video of the guys training, lifting, fighting etc. If this keeps up it’s going to be a ratings loser for Dana White.

Well said. The only plus about this season is that the fights are relatively good. I don’t know if it was the change from 3 to 2 rounds, letting the fighters go harder in a shorter period of time, but they are much more entertaining.[/quote]

I have to agree with this sentiment. I don’t regularly view this show, but when channel surfing have stopped by and checked it out. What I have seen of this season reminds me of young guys you see locally with ball caps tipped to the side throwing G signs and thinking their hard.

I caught that part last week where the skinny kid was ready to take his shirt off because of the writing on the wall with his G chain swinging from his neck. Looked totally ridiculous and last nights cry fest didn’t inspire thoughts of him being a warrior.

D

This season is awful, but for some reason I keep watching. Forty five minutes of unlikable douchebags posturing, barking and trying to whip up some drama (holy shit, did the opposing team write “suck it” on our walls? Let’s rip our shirts off and throw down because that’s some serious shit) and a few minutes at the end of two midgets with their eyes closed throwing haymakers. Yippee.

Also, the endless blubbering is getting out of hand.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:
Mick28 wrote:

They need to have more video of the guys training, lifting, fighting etc. If this keeps up it’s going to be a ratings loser for Dana White.

Well said. The only plus about this season is that the fights are relatively good. I don’t know if it was the change from 3 to 2 rounds, letting the fighters go harder in a shorter period of time, but they are much more entertaining.

I have to agree with this sentiment. I don’t regularly view this show, but when channel surfing have stopped by and checked it out. What I have seen of this season reminds me of young guys you see locally with ball caps tipped to the side throwing G signs and thinking their hard.

I caught that part last week where the skinny kid was ready to take his shirt off because of the writing on the wall with his G chain swinging from his neck. Looked totally ridiculous and last nights cry fest didn’t inspire thoughts of him being a warrior.

D [/quote]

i bet he could whup your ass.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
Dedicated wrote:
bigblue244 wrote:
Mick28 wrote:

D

i bet he could whup your ass. [/quote]

The skinny kid?

D

[quote]T Affliction G wrote:
I couldn’t help but laugh at the end when they cut between him balling his eyes out in the dressing room and him in the interview room saying, “When people hear the name Andy Wang, I want them to say; ‘He’s a bad dude. He’s a warrior.’” or whatever the exact quote was.[/quote]

I laughed pretty hard when he said that quote. People are going to remember you as the bitch that cried on T.V. and not as a “warrior.”

I watched season 2 and 3, which I thought were pretty good. This season is turning out to be a joke.

The most pathetic thing on this season is Diaz. When he talks in his little gay voice about he is a bad ass it is pathetic. I thought it was hilarious when he took his shirt off and started flexing his non-existent pecs wanting to fight another guy in the house.

Fuck it, I love the show. In spite of each season getting more drama centered and less training centered. I mean the editing of his whole warrior shtick, how hes gonna find out his destiny and all that, and then to have 7 different shots of the kid bawling is absolute genius.

Showing him walking away from the ring in hysterics with BJs voice over like “your a loser its over blah blah” oh man… As long as the integrity of the actual fights is maintained, I think the rest is hysterical.

Granted the actual fights arent exactly top notch competition, but whatever. Howbout Gabe wanting to fight Weems “somebodys gotta do it”?! thats classic stuff right there…

[quote]DrVonNostrand wrote:
You want to criticise, try his performance, which I liken to someone who’s figured out one move in a game. Overhand rightx30, it’s got to land big eventually.[/quote]

When you go into a fight with a losing record (Wang was 5-6 going into the fight) with your ring man being one of the top MMA fighters of the past decade, you can: a) do whatever you did to earn that losing record or b) listen to BJ fucking Penn.

I’m sure Wang is a nice guy (you sound like you know him or perhaps you train at R1). But when you have a losing record, it’s time to examine what you are doing - especially when someone like BJ Penn is the one telling you what to do.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
DrVonNostrand wrote:
You want to criticise, try his performance, which I liken to someone who’s figured out one move in a game. Overhand rightx30, it’s got to land big eventually.

When you go into a fight with a losing record (Wang was 5-6 going into the fight) with your ring man being one of the top MMA fighters of the past decade, you can: a) do whatever you did to earn that losing record or b) listen to BJ fucking Penn.

I’m sure Wang is a nice guy (you sound like you know him or perhaps you train at R1). But when you have a losing record, it’s time to examine what you are doing - especially when someone like BJ Penn is the one telling you what to do.[/quote]

Agree 100%

Those fighters need to realise not all of them are going to be UFC champs. Bearing this in mind, an opportunity to train and compete on that show is an opportunity to learn and better yourself and make some good money. Not even taking losing into account, Wang made an idiot of himself. period.

yeah that overhand right was just a little telegraphed.

I just watch it because DeSouza has the sweetest fucking beard I’ve ever seen.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I just watch it because DeSouza has the sweetest fucking beard I’ve ever seen.[/quote]

That is quality beardsmanship on his part.

I just had to come somewhere to bitch because I am beside myself. I just finished watching the episode on 5/3 -a week after wang.

What a bunch of fucking girls. I’m so pissed. Wang and Gabe disgust me. Each week now I am yelling and cursing vehemently at the tv.

SO MANY GUYS WOULD KILL TO BE THERE. I want to know how wang and Gabe were chosen. There had to be better candidates.

Next week should be good with two fights. This season better get a lot better, and soon!

I should gain some weight and fight those pussies, but I wouldn’t even be able to be proud.

ahhhh.

-extremely frustrated.

another classic episode. with Gabe whispering “just put me in…I can do this”
HAHAHAHHHAHAHAHWGHWAHAHAHA oh man what a drama queen. Im glad Dana shitcanned him though. I watched with my girl who said she felt like she was watching some MTV reality show. I had to agree. We didnt even get a fight out of it.

Ive said before, just for pure entertainment value I’ll take 45 minutes of drama and man tears as long as we get a decent fight at the end.

Oh howbout Cory Hill saying “yeah im just a normal dude, I eat burgers and fries with the kids”, meanwhile hes shredded to the bone at like %6 bf, granted hes a skinny bastard but still…