Ultimate Ego Boost

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
jeez, give the guy a break, he said it was nice, not that he was addicted to it.

I’ve gotten stronger in gyms where I was already the strongest one and I’ve gotten stronger in gyms where I was the weakest one. It’s not rocket science, bust your butt and you’ll get stronger no matter who’s around you

Agreed.

While comparing yourself with the average guy in the gym isn’t a good idea, I don’t see any harm in noticing that you are far above what would be considered average with regard to strength and muscle mass.

If you have come a long way or at least made a decent amount of progress, why not take a second and appreciate what you have already achieved? It doesn’t rule out that you have ambitious goals for the future.

There is a lot to learn when training with the best and it is a great source of motivation. If someone becomes complacent, though, just because he happens to be the best at something in a given environment, I don’t think he has what it takes to make much progress in the first place. [/quote]

thats not a bad idea. I mean it is great to take a moment to really appreciate your body and your progress.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

F*ck 'em. I personally am not at the gym to pick up chicks. I’ve got the other 22 hours of the day to do that.[/quote]

Amen. I feel the same way. I go to the gym pumped up and ready to move some heavy shit, not to look good in the mirror with a wife beater on and flexing my 13" guns while doing curls in the power rack.

I’ve come to realize that it’s usually the case. The people who come to the gym to look good IN the gym usually don’t, while the people who don’t care what they look like in there almost always know what they’re doing and look great.

-dizzle

[quote]Koing wrote:

Most gyms guys are not the guys wanting to put massive numbers up. They are wanting to get massive but avoiding all leg work or really half assing it and never get anywhere…

Koing[/quote]

Come to the Y in Glen Cove, Long Island: Home of the Chicken Legs.

-dizzle

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
jeez, give the guy a break, he said it was nice, not that he was addicted to it.

I’ve gotten stronger in gyms where I was already the strongest one and I’ve gotten stronger in gyms where I was the weakest one. It’s not rocket science, bust your butt and you’ll get stronger no matter who’s around you

Yeah, but it’s harder to stay motivated nonetheless. I’ve been at the same uni gym since I started lifting as a frosh in college. I used to make myself think the big guys were laughing at me; made me get angry, great motivation to get stronger.

Now, I know nobody’s laughing at me because I’m stronger than most of them on everything but bench (a couple exceptions). It makes it hard to drive yourself the extra mile. Especially if you’ve never had a training partner. [/quote]

I wish I could say this without coming off like a jerk, but that’s a crock and you are mentally weak. You need external motivation? That’s ridiculous. I’ve rarely if ever used the old standby “I get no respect/I’ll show them etc etc etc” thing. I don’t lift heavy to stop people from laughing at me, I lift heavy to get strong. Why do I want to get strong? It is an end in itself, and that’s all the motivation I need.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
sledge2 wrote:
Another great one was a guy propping his video iPod on the J hooks of a power rack so he could watch a show and do curls at the same time.

Please tell me you’re kidding.[/quote]

Wow!! Have never heard that one before, best use of a power rack ever!

[quote]allNatural wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Comparing myself to the mediocre would never give me an ego boost.

It certainly gives you an ego boost to say this in every thread.[/quote]

lol…CaliforniaLaw is the “Ultimate Ego Boost…Chaser”

LOL man… know exactly what you mean. It makes us a tad arrogant, but, heck, it’s funny.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

Yeah, but it’s harder to stay motivated nonetheless. I’ve been at the same uni gym since I started lifting as a frosh in college. I used to make myself think the big guys were laughing at me; made me get angry, great motivation to get stronger.

Now, I know nobody’s laughing at me because I’m stronger than most of them on everything but bench (a couple exceptions). It makes it hard to drive yourself the extra mile. Especially if you’ve never had a training partner.

I wish I could say this without coming off like a jerk, but that’s a crock and you are mentally weak. You need external motivation? That’s ridiculous. I’ve rarely if ever used the old standby “I get no respect/I’ll show them etc etc etc” thing. I don’t lift heavy to stop people from laughing at me, I lift heavy to get strong. Why do I want to get strong? It is an end in itself, and that’s all the motivation I need.[/quote]

You should probably have reworded your reply, and reread mine. That’s kind of insulting to say to someone you don’t know anything about, isn’t it?

I didn’t say that I still thought people were laughing at me, nor did I ever say that I needed external motivation. If I needed external motivation to stay in the gym, I wouldn’t still be there now would I? I still show up to my training sessions whether I feel good or not.

If I were mentally weak, I’d have long given up the heavy iron for the Abercrombie look. I lift heavy to get strong. For me. I’ve always trained alone because other people are pretty much unwilling to put in the kind of effort and time that I do.

The point is, as a newb you use whatever motivation you can find, and as a more experienced trainer you don’t have that luxury. The point is, it’s harder to propel yourself through when you wake up in the morning with your back on fire and your shoulder numb and your elbows screaming in pain and you know you are going to show up to the gym with no one but you sharing your goals. You’re going to watch people abuse your squat rack. You’re going to watch people reading magazines and talking on cell phones. And you’re going to know that you are maybe the only person in the whole building that actually puts some heart into your training.

You’re mentally weak if you don’t show up; you’re not weak just because you miss having an extra push in the pants a partner or a team or even some good old fashioned abuse and anger would give you. Besides, you should know by now yourself that everyone has shit days. Sometimes a lot of them in a row before you hit gold.

If it were so easy to keep the same level of intensity you get from being around serious people everywhere else you go, then NCAA teams and Olympic athletes wouldn’t need to be corralled in a single complex to train intensively–they could just lift anywhere as long as they had their coach write out their programs and maybe had a video tape to send back for review.

The point of my post, perhaps poorly worded, was to point out what should have been obvious; it is harder to get stronger in a place where you are not surrounded by people who share the same goals as you. I’ve done, you’ve done it–whoop-de-freakin-do.

It’s still easier to drive yourself when you’re around guys like Louie Simmons and Dave Tate than 135 lb Abercrombie wannabees, and if you dispute that then I don’t know what to say. I stand by my post.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

It’s still easier to drive yourself when you’re around guys like Louie Simmons and Dave Tate than 135 lb Abercrombie wannabees, and if you dispute that then I don’t know what to say. I stand by my post.
[/quote]

Yeah. What would KBC know about that one tho… :wink:

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Comparing myself to the mediocre would never give me an ego boost. [/quote]

Gonna have to agree dude

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Aragorn wrote:

Yeah. What would KBC know about that one tho… :wink:
[/quote]

I know you’re joking, but I’m not getting it. Sorry :). KBC has probably gotten to train around a lot of strong guys like Louie. I don’t know what he’s posted in threads in the past, and I dunno if he’s been around Louie in particular, but I think the point of the statement you quoted from me is valid regardless of WHICH strong mofos you’ve been around.

It is funny and I used to be in a YMCA like that. I scarred people by lifting and that was my goal everytime, to scare the shit out of people by lifting heavy shit. :slight_smile: I train in my Garage when I’m at home…I’m not I’m overseas and I have no motivation problems.