T Nation

'Ultimate Cluster Training Program' Weekly Schedule

1. In the Ultimate Cluster Training Program, how do you recommend to organize the 4 workouts in a weekly schedule?

Ex:
Monday - Squat
Tuesday - Off
Wednesday- Bench
Thursday- Off
Friday- Deadlift
Saturday- Press
Sunday - Off

1. Is there anywhere to add in farmers walks…maybe in place of one of the secondary assistance exercises on squat or deadlift day?

Cant wait to do this.

Thank you for your time

For 1 the principles from the 100 pound article still apply

Avoid negative carryover from one workout to the next.

I never ran the complete program, I played with it briefly but it wasn’t for me. I ran

Press
Squat
Off
Bench
Off
Deadlift
Off

And that worked for me and my build. The exercises you opt for will obviously come into play a little too (some are more taxing on the lower back than others, T-bar row vs seal row)

1 Like

no offense I appreciate the answer but would like to hear from Coach Thibs on this one.

Of course

1 Like

Actually the recommendation he made is bang on. Although I’ve used other splits depending on the client’s priority.

I see the deadlift workout as the most neurologically demanding one. Which is why it’s best to do it with a day off prior and after. For some people the squat is more neurologically demanding than the deadlift, so you could change the order.

I prefer to do the press rather than the bench press prior to the squat; the bench press will get the pecs tighter and might make it harder to squat properly at first. Arguably, once warmed-up it should not be an issue and this is really a minor point.

I’ve also use a different structure where the bigger workouts are Monday/Wednesday/Friday and Saturday is the easier workout. In that case it could look like:

Monday: Deadlift
Wednesday: Bench press
Friday: Squat
Saturday: Overhead press

Again, if for you the squat is more demanding than the deadlift you could reverse both days.

Thank you for the answer. I like that example setup with the big lifts on Monday Wednesday Friday! I’ll give that a try.

If you have time to answer a few more questions I would appreciate it, if not I understand.

1. Is there any way to put in farmers walk on squat or deadlift day maybe in place of one of the secondary assistance?

2. Would it be possible to do regular reps on the primary assistance lift after the main lift?

I feel i can only handle clusters for one exercise per workout.

So I would just do 2 sets of 4 to 6 reps as opposed to 2 sets of 4 to 6 cluster reps.

Yes. That’s how to do it. To me, farmer walks, when done heavy, are just like another strength exercise, so if you bring it in, you need to take something out.

Absolutely, in fact it is likely smarter. I just wanted to give an example of what a pure cluster program would look like.

1 Like

I would do 3

Thank you coach for the answers! I’ll report back how it works out for me.