UK View of the U.S.

In the UK there has been some increased coverage of some recent shootings that have occured in the US, such as the 4 YO that shot the 2 YO.

My question is: is this common. The exceptions make their way across the pond, or is this just one of those things that occurs, just that as it is grouped, makes the issue more “news worthy”??

when did a 4 year old shoot a 2 year old?

hehe, uk ppl need to stop watching news so much

Ya know, when I forget to strap on my third gun before leaving for the day, I feel positively naked.

I particularly like the episode of The Simpson’s when Homer gets a gun and becomes a fantical advocate of gun ownership.

This is taken from a site that criticises Michael Moores ‘Bowling for Columbine’ documentary (just note the level of gun deaths right at the end:

Also fun to know is that gun crime in gun-controlled England and Wales rose to record levels in the past year, with nearly 200 incidents every week. There were 10,250 incidents, including 80 murders, involving firearms in the year to April, 276 (about 3 per cent) more than the previous year and double the number recorded five years ago. More details:

“Public alarm over gun crime has been raised in recent months by a spate of high-profile murders, including a seven-year-old girl shot in the back in London and a shopkeeper killed during a robbery in Nottingham. Police and ministers stress, however, that Britain is still one of the safest places in the world, with one of the lowest levels of gun crime. There were 0.15 gun deaths in England and Wales per 100,000 population in the past year, compared with 3.6 per 100,000 in the US.” (3)

In 1999 there were 31 accidental gun deaths in the United States involving kids under age 10. If you break down these 31 cases, there were actually six cases in the United States in that year where a child under 10 either accidentally shot themselves to death or another child. Kids are used by journalists as kind of an easy device to lend emotion and drama to their news.

I recommend you read John Lott, one on the preeminent authorities on the defensive use of guns in the US.

Lott’s most recent book is called “The Bias Against Guns”.
http://www.bookfinder.us/review9/0895261146.html

I am far more concerned with being run down by a soccer mom in an H2 Hummer than I am concerned about being shot.

[quote]creed wrote:
This is taken from a site that criticises Michael Moores ‘Bowling for Columbine’ documentary (just note the level of gun deaths right at the end:

Also fun to know is that gun crime in gun-controlled England and Wales rose to record levels in the past year, with nearly 200 incidents every week. There were 10,250 incidents, including 80 murders, involving firearms in the year to April, 276 (about 3 per cent) more than the previous year and double the number recorded five years ago. More details:

“Public alarm over gun crime has been raised in recent months by a spate of high-profile murders, including a seven-year-old girl shot in the back in London and a shopkeeper killed during a robbery in Nottingham. Police and ministers stress, however, that Britain is still one of the safest places in the world, with one of the lowest levels of gun crime. There were 0.15 gun deaths in England and Wales per 100,000 population in the past year, compared with 3.6 per 100,000 in the US.” (3)
[/quote]

Britain is not safe. I live here.

Alpha Female : )

GSW’s are the leading cause of death in two-year olds in the U.S. I’m one of the lucky ones, both of my children escaped their ‘terrible two’s’ with only minor gunshot wounds. Thank God their shooters were dislexic 6 year-olds with AD-HD.

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

[/quote]

I live here too. Its not too bad as far as I am concerned except for Friday and Saturday nights in Town. And thats mainly if your a male and drunk.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
GSW’a are the leading cause of death in two-year olds in the U.S. I’m one of the lucky ones, both of my children escaped their ‘terrible two’s’ with only minor gunshot wounds. Thank God their shooters were dislexic 6 year-olds with AD-HD.[/quote]

…you are seriously funny…, fantastic stuff…!

[quote]creed wrote:
Alpha F wrote:

I live here too. Its not too bad as far as I am concerned except for Friday and Saturday nights in Town. And thats mainly if your a male and drunk.
[/quote]

…yeap. That’s when I’m mostly out. : )

Yeah, it’s weird, I never would have expected it, but moving over to Britain from the US for grad school, there is a lot more of that random violence, especially drunken stuff, in the UK. I don’t ever feel unsafe though, because even though I’d guess I’m smaller than 40 to 60% of the people that post here, I’m a big guy for England/Europe.

I live in nottingham.

Dodge those yardies bullets!

[quote]miniross wrote:
I live in nottingham.

Dodge those yardies bullets![/quote]

I used to go out with a girl from Nottingham. I picked her up one night. She said that she knew a shortcut and started giving me directions. She took me through the red light district - it was rough as f*$k! [so was she in all honesty!]

I’m living in a rented student house in the moment in Oxford - surprisingly rough - there are what looks like two bullet holes in the windscreen of a car parked outside my next door but one neighbours house. [I think that whole bullethole thing though is just a fashion statement in the US]

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Yeah, it’s weird, I never would have expected it, but moving over to Britain from the US for grad school, there is a lot more of that random violence, especially drunken stuff, in the UK. I don’t ever feel unsafe though, because even though I’d guess I’m smaller than 40 to 60% of the people that post here, I’m a big guy for England/Europe.[/quote]

Sort of makes sense. If I were in the US I’d think twice before beating some stranger up for kicks in case they were packing a piece.