UK USA Falklands

For all those saying the US has no position. Yes they do. That is why Clinton made as special detour to go and make a statement in Argentina. Her statement strongly supported the Argentinian position. Yes it’s unlikely to lead to war. No we don’t need to US help if it does and yes we’ll win. BUT Clinton’s statement is likely to stir things up rather than settle them down.

Argentina may not own the Malvinas, but they certainly own their oceanic space. If Britain thinks they are going to strike oil, 10 miles off the Falkland’s cost, and really think that’s a just thing to do…then I’m going to side with Argentina on this one. The Brits got the island, the Argies have the ocean.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:
Argentina may not own the Malvinas, but they certainly own their oceanic space. If Britain thinks they are going to strike oil, 10 miles off the Falkland’s cost, and really think that’s a just thing to do…then I’m going to side with Argentina on this one. The Brits got the island, the Argies have the ocean.[/quote]

That’s not how international law works.

If we were to run with your line of thinking then I guess Cuba “has the ocean” around Key West, huh?[/quote]

The ocean territory associated with the Falklands is quite substantial, it is estimated for a start that it may contain up to 60Billion barrels of crude :slight_smile:
I do believe the previous US administration would have saw this issue for what it is and ignored it completely, it’s politics this issue is manna from heavey for the Argentinan administration.

The Argentinian president herself however remains quite a hottie even at 60ish…