T Nation

UK E-mail Law

UK e-mail law ‘attack on rights’

“From March all internet service providers (ISPs) will by law have to keep information about every e-mail sent or received in the UK for a year.”

WTF… for all the Brits on here, this is freaking ridiculous we are becoming a fascist state!

This part is even more disturbing:

[i]"Reports have suggested the government has even bigger plans for data retention called the Interception Modernisation Programme.

It could involve one central database, gathering details on every text sent, e-mail sent, phone call made and website visited. " [/i]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7819230.stm

I’ve been there and can say that the English enjoy very few freedoms and seem to be OK with that. They have cameras everywhere and speed cameras all up and down the freeway. It is fucking scary. I read 1984 a few months before going there and it felt like I was taking a field trip based on the book.

It also seems like the English want everyone else to adopt this mentality. I had a conversation with an Englishman about guns. He could not understand why one would “need” a gun and I cannot understand how a government can take away the right to bear arms.

Aside from people asking me if I ride horses in Texas (and yes, I do) the most common thing I was asked was about guns.

[quote]Chewie wrote:
I’ve been there and can say that the English enjoy very few freedoms and seem to be OK with that. They have cameras everywhere and speed cameras all up and down the freeway. It is fucking scary. I read 1984 a few months before going there and it felt like I was taking a field trip based on the book.

It also seems like the English want everyone else to adopt this mentality. I had a conversation with an Englishman about guns. He could not understand why one would “need” a gun and I cannot understand how a government can take away the right to bear arms.

Aside from people asking me if I ride horses in Texas (and yes, I do) the most common thing I was asked was about guns. [/quote]

Whoops, I digressed a little too much.

My bad. Back on topic.

And these ass clowns have the balls to talk shit about my government? This is the biggest pile of shit I have read in a while.

[quote]Chewie wrote:

[/quote]

Agree 100%. I lived over there for four years, enjoyed it a lot, but could never settle down there. Once counted the cameras on the five block walk from my apartment to church on a Sunday morning (in a reasonably big town), got to nineteen and I probably missed a couple. The scary thing is that no one cares, even though (so I’m told by Brits) this is a recent phenomenon.

[quote]John S. wrote:
And these ass clowns have the balls to talk shit about my government? This is the biggest pile of shit I have read in a while.[/quote]

Another insightful contribution.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
John S. wrote:
And these ass clowns have the balls to talk shit about my government? This is the biggest pile of shit I have read in a while.

Another insightful contribution.[/quote]

I don’t live there, there is nothing much I can say about it besides that they are letting the government control there every moment and aparently doing it with a smile on there face. Then these same assholes come and talk about my government. they can’t even keep there’s in control! They should pull the plank out of there own eye before they try and remove the speck from mine.

The gov. didn’t take away the right to bear arms, there never was any such right. The thing about USA is not just that you can bear arms, but it is legal to shoot a burglar who breaks into your house. It is not legal to do this in Australia and you will be charged (with some degree of freedom and understanding from law enforcers).

UK email spying - idiots. As if they can possibly monitor emails or have any use for doing so. Anyone who wants to send anonymous messages can do so a thousand different ways. Only complete idiot crooks are going to be using emails.

But yeah no freedom in this country, completely fascist state, government is stupid beyond belief, keeps leaving ultra sensitive data on laptops on trains/losing it, millions of cameras but apparently nobody watching them, they bought cameras instead of cops, so, no cops - and tonnes of crime, knife crime galore, carrying a knife illegal but everyone doing it and not getting in trouble for having them or stabbing people coz jails are full. And can’t bother building new ones that is too much like work.

So in summary instead of doing anything useful to address issues they come up with some stupid half assed wanky scheme like cameras everywhere or spy on emails. Man, they have talking cameras now telling you what to do on the street.

Watch V for Vendetta that is where it is headed, at least that is what they want. Whoever “they” are.

They think they can gather info on people to prevent, say, terrorism: but with all the info in the world, it all falls apart, and then the cops shoot the wrong guy, and then they LIE about it trying to cover themselves, and nobody has to resign/apologise/go to jail for shooting the wrong guy. Meanwhile teenagers with guns going around shooting whoever they want.

Whilst on my rant, you can also buy elephant ivory in the frikking street markets.

This place is a joke of clowns

[quote]John S. wrote:
And these ass clowns have the balls to talk shit about my government? This is the biggest pile of shit I have read in a while.[/quote]

The “ass clowns” as you call them, are mostly concerned with what your government does to other countries. You wouldn’t see British people marching in the streets because of the number of American citizens your government incarcerates, the way you disallow women the right to do what they will with their bodies or any related topic.

OP, what your government is doing is for your own good. It’s well known that terrorists know nothing about encryption, VPNs and such technologies. And if history taught us anything, it’s that they are very bad at adapting. Give away your freedoms, NOW!

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
The gov. didn’t take away the right to bear arms, there never was any such right. The thing about USA is not just that you can bear arms, but it is legal to shoot a burglar who breaks into your house.

[/quote]

Wrong. The British Declaration of Rights, which predates the Second Amendment by over a hundred years, included the statement that "the subjects which are Protestants may have armes for their defense suitable to their condition and as allowed by law.’’

Despite poaching laws, which forbade hunting equipment, Britons were allowed to own guns, which a 1752 court opinion said ‘‘may be kept for the defense of a man’s house.’’

The so-called “Castle Doctrine,” upon which the laws of several US states allowing deadly force in defense of one’s home and property is based, was after all named after the very British idea that a man’s home is his castle.

A shame that things are no longer so. The Lion has become feeble in his old age.

[quote]nik19 wrote:
UK e-mail law ‘attack on rights’

“From March all internet service providers (ISPs) will by law have to keep information about every e-mail sent or received in the UK for a year.”

WTF… for all the Brits on here, this is freaking ridiculous we are becoming a fascist state!

This part is even more disturbing:

[i]"Reports have suggested the government has even bigger plans for data retention called the Interception Modernisation Programme.

It could involve one central database, gathering details on every text sent, e-mail sent, phone call made and website visited. " [/i]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7819230.stm[/quote]

I saw this coming back in 1997 when they banned gun ownership. It was the first logical step in a massive crack down on civil liberties.

I think the worst part it is how apathetic the British are. They have totally surrendered to the government anything it wants.It is sad the people in Britain have become so spineless.

What is also really bad is how easily mislead they are. So that if they do get active they devote so much of their energies to some silly cause that will have no impact on their freedom that they don’t have any energy left for what is important.

A classic example was animal rights activists storming into parliament to fight the men in tights and protest for a ban on fox hunting, the day that the house of commons were debating the governments plan to bring in ID cards.

It amazes me that furry woodland animals would be so much more important to the British than the government ordering everyone to carry around id cards equipped with radio transmitters to monitor them. The stupidity is astounding.