UK-Based TRT Noob - Advice?

Hey,

First post on the forum so go easy on me :slight_smile:

Been trolling the forum for a couple weeks now and I’ve been really impressed with the knowledge you guys have on TRT so I thought I’d ask some advice. Sorry in advance about the essay but I think it’s important to give you guys as much info as I can.

I have an appointment booked with the urologist this week and it’s taken me a long time to get it so I’d like to get the most out of the time I have with him.

To give you a brief history, I’m 26, 5’ 11" and 176lbs, I’ve always felt kind of “off” my entire adult life and I’ve always been seeking the answer. Symptoms include:

• Persistent and unpredictable dips in mood resulting in deep depression
  • Anxiety
  • Zero libido 90% of the time
  • Difficulty gaining any more muscle
  • Put on body fat easily
  • Patchy body/facial hair
  • Mental fogginess
  • Fatigue
  • Dick/Balls cold to the touch, balls never “hang”

For a long time I suspected something like depression, unhealthy lifestyle habits etc etc. Doctor prescribed several different anti-depressants which made little to no difference. Decided I needed to eliminate all possible causes within my control, I:

• Got out of a unhealthy relationship
  • Got a better job
  • Stopped anti-depressants
  • Gave up smoking
  • Started lifting 3x week and interval training 2x
  • Eating healthy and tracking all my macros (plenty of red meat and veg)
  • Reduced alcohol consumption
  • 8+ hours of sleep per night
  • Dating women (to kick-start my libido)

I even stopped masturbating for 3 months to see if that made a difference!

All these things did make a difference to the way I felt about myself, especially lifting. The problem is I experience these massive “highs” where I felt like I could conquer the world, massive libido, increased strength and confidence etc then all of a sudden I just “drop” and lose all of that, these periods can last anywhere between a few days and few months then I just return to this kind of numb state.

Few months ago I decided to go to my GP and get everything checked. First thing he tested me for diabetes - negative, then he tested me for Vitamin D - levels good. As a last resort he decided to check my testosterone levels. Results came back and the doc explained that while my levels were within the “normal” range they were at the very bottom of the scale. Because they were still in range he decided not to do anything about it.

Few months went by, problems persisted so I booked another appointment - insisting I was referred to a urologist. Uro sent a letter to my doc saying that my levels were very low for someone of my age (can’t remember numbers) and he would be happy to prescribe TRT but it would render me infertile.

Cut to the present - I’ve managed to get an appointment with him which has taken 3 months. He explained to my doctor that he wanted to check the function of my pituitary gland but that’s all I know.

After reading a lot of info on here and other people’s experiences I am almost certain that low levels of testosterone are to blame for most of the problems I’ve experienced since adulthood. I also have a suspicion that heavy marijuana use in my teens may have contributed to this.

Given that it’s taken me so long to get this appointment, I’m worried that if there’s a follow up it’s going to take another 3 months to even get the ball rolling with treatment so I want to get the most out of the time I have with him.

I am concerned about the fertility risk but I’d rather take TRT and be happy then be fertile and feel that life is just a constant slog.

From what I’m reading on these forums most doctors are not well educated when it comes to hormones. So with that in mind - what sort of questions should I be asking? Should I be insisting on certain tests? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

Again, sorry for the essay, look forward to seeing what you guys have to say,

Cheers,

Jon

Not sure what its like in UK, but here is Australia most endocrinologists and urologists work off dated studies and have very limited knowledge of TRT. My urologist ended up giving me a prostate biopsy, very brutal, probably didn’t need one in the end. Read the stickies on how to find a doctor experienced in TRT. Will save you lots of time, money and may get to an answer quicker.

Testosterone will not leave you infertile if you take HCG along with it. And you should do that anyway. Hopefully you have time to read all the stickys. There is a lot of info you want to know before you go in. And keep an open mind. There are issues that cause low T or mimic its symptoms. You always want to rule out all other causes. And find out why you have low t.

You have pretty much the EXACT same story as me. Heavy marijuana usage when I was a teen, brain fog, ups and downs, anxiety etc. The problem with the NHS is they don’t rely on symptoms (you shouldn’t have these at 26 years old) and instead they look at bullshit values. They don’t even check free testosterone which is much more important than total test.

I ended up going straight to an online TRT doctor which costs about 100 quid a month in the UK. The whole process is online and after paying for 2 tests and a doctors consultation you will be started on it within about 2-3 weeks. As mentioned above you can get hCG prescribed with it if you are concerned about infertility.