UFC v PRIDE

Pride has the much better fighters, but UFC has the better publicity, and eventually it will probably have more money.

Which is better, and what will last the longest? UFC or pride

also, what are the rule differences between the two?

There is a few different rules, but pretty much the same. I forgot most of the differences, but I know PRIDE doesn’t check for riods.

I’m hoping that with Pride venturing more in to the American market by putting on events in the US, we will see a UFC v Pride show.

Hardcore fans have wanted to see this for years but there has been too much to lose and not enough incentive for either org to do it. But now MMA is growing fast and I think as MMA grows and Pride becomes better known outside of Japan, huge PPV numbers could be generated from a UFC v Pride card. Perhaps a once a year job.

Right now, I do think Pride has the greater depth of talent. However, I’d say Pride need UFC more than UFC needs Pride because of the strength of the UFC brand and the well documented financial problems they are having. I’m not sure if both organisations will see equal benefits of putting on a joint event but i’m hoping.

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:
what are the rule differences between the two?[/quote]

Besides the 5 roped ring vs the Octagon:

Pride allows four point; knees, stomps and kicks to the head, UFC doesn’t.

Pride doesn’t allow elbow strikes to the face, UFC does.

Pride matches begin with one 10 minute round followed by 5 minute rounds. The UFC does not permit rounds to exceed 5 minutes in length.

In the case of a fight going the distance: Pride referees give a total score for the match, UFC referees give a score (out of 10) for each round.

I have never really seen UFC but from what I have seen it is a alot of grappling. Is Pride more hardcore? I have seen a couple of videos and damn.I think a PPV event would be great.

awesome video-pride

tim sylvia said no to fighting fedor

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:

tim sylvia said no to fighting fedor[/quote]

Don’t be a simpleton.

Tim has an exclusive contract with the UFC. He can’t fight anybody without Zuffa’s approval, and there is no way that Dana White would allow his champion to fight outside of his promotion. I’ll guarantee you that Tim would love to fight Fedor and truly believes he can win (I don’t agree with him), but the fight won’t happen as long as they are fighting for different organizations.

This is no different than the aborted Chuck-Wandy showdown. I’ll guarantee you that Chuck wants to fight Wandy, and Wandy wants to fight Chuck, but that fight will never happen until Sakakibara & Dana can come to terms. The fighters themseleves don’t have much say in who they fight.

I hate Tim Sulvia. It seems his only skill is being tall and having really long arms no one can get inside of.

If what you say about UFC not allowing Sylvia to fight Fedor, I think it is totally messed up. Why did they bring him to the UFC if he cant run for the belt?

[quote]ethan323 wrote:
I have never really seen UFC but from what I have seen it is a alot of grappling. Is Pride more hardcore? [/quote]

What do you mean by that? I would venture to say that you see far more really talented grapplers in Pride than UFC per se.

Pride has better fans also I think. They know more about MMA. Either way I cannot fuckin wait for UFC 67. Mirko, Rampage, Anderson. Either way I think Pride and UFC should just make one massive organization so we can really see who the REAL champion is of the MMA sport. I know this is all just dreamy thinking but who knows what can happen. In the end it’s gonna definately come down to money though. Money will determine everything.

There have been massive rumors floating about that Zuffa is in the process of buying Pride. Similar rumors have circulated before without anything coming of them, but this one is seemingly possible.

I guess the point is that if they should succeed in buying Pride, then Pride/UFC unifications should be more likely. I guess we’ll find out within the next year or so what is going on.

[quote]fireplug52 wrote:
ethan323 wrote:
I have never really seen UFC but from what I have seen it is a alot of grappling. Is Pride more hardcore?

What do you mean by that? I would venture to say that you see far more really talented grapplers in Pride than UFC per se.[/quote]

I think he is referring to the UFC wrestler style of controlling the opponent without really doing a whole lot of damage. This is what turns me off most UFC events, guys win fights in the UFC with styles that would see them yellow carded in PRIDE.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:

If what you say about UFC not allowing Sylvia to fight Fedor, I think it is totally messed up. Why did they bring him to the UFC if he cant run for the belt? [/quote]

You are confusing Fedor with Cro Cop.

The UFC signed Cro Cop.
Fedor is still with Pride.

Cro Cop will most definitely get a shot at Sylvia sometime this summer.

Fedor will never fight Sylvia as long as Dana White and Sakakibara continue to be at odds.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Petedacook wrote:

If what you say about UFC not allowing Sylvia to fight Fedor, I think it is totally messed up. Why did they bring him to the UFC if he cant run for the belt?

You are confusing Fedor with Cro Cop.

The UFC signed Cro Cop.
Fedor is still with Pride.

Cro Cop will most definitely get a shot at Sylvia sometime this summer.

Fedor will never fight Sylvia as long as Dana White and Sakakibara continue to be at odds.[/quote]

Thats cool. Thanks Steve.

Pride FC will always own the asian market. Japan and Korea are like big ATMs for them. They may be beat out of the US market, but pride will likely be around for a long time.

I like PRIDE’s rules better, especially the yellow cards for stalled action. That should be adopted in UFC immediately and call “The Sylvia Rule”. I like the octagon better than the ring, since you can really get too tangled up in the cage. Those are the only negative things I can think about for each org, and I’ll being buying both PPVs this month.