UFC Thread

SPOILER ALERT

Liddell handled Sobral quite easily, it appeared that Sobral was too fired up to avenge his loss and came at Liddell very hard, sort of wild. Liddell avoided most of the throws, rocked him twice, he was on the ground, and then Liddell continued to pound him. He missed a lot, connected with some, Sobral was never truly “out” but was definitely disoriented, initially he argued with the decision by Big John to stop it. All this happened in the first minute or so of the first round.

Griffin vs Bonnar was a little disappointing to me, but it was basically impossible to top their last fight. It was stand up all the way, not as much throwing as last time. Griffin won 30-27 by all judges but the fight was much closer than that as each round could have gone either way, particularly the second. The crowd booed when the decision was announced, IMO because the score was 30-27, not because Griffin won. While seeing them fight stand up was fun, personally I think that Griffin should have taken Bonnar down in the second or third once it looked like he wasn’t going to knock him out, as I think Griffin is more dominant on the ground. They mentioned that both fighters might have broken their hands during the fight.

Generally pretty good UFC. I am very excited about Penn vs Hughes, I love Hughes but Penn looked awesome vs St Pierre, particularly in the first round. Liddell vs Silva (or Tito) should be good too.

Once again, the ICE MAN delivers!!
Chuck is the friggin MAN!! Next, he’s going to bust Wanderlei Silva’s fat lips and then he’ll kick the shit out of Tito Ortiz again. I never get tired of seeing Chuck beat the dog crap out of people.

I was disappointed with the Griffin / Bonner fight. Griffin’s last fight with Tito Ortiz was wild, but he was being very cautious in this one. Its a shame, because it looked like Bonner was scared of him & Griffin could have taken him out at any time. I guess you have to beat the shit out of Forrest Griffin to get him to fight good.

The mere idea that you think Chuck would beat Silva…I can’t think of words in the english language that would express the stupidity…

chack could catch silva, but if they fought ten times, i think wandy would win 8

[quote]Rookie21 wrote:
The mere idea that you think Chuck would beat Silva…I can’t think of words in the english language that would express the stupidity…[/quote]

Yeah seriously! Its not like Silva comes in swinging wild looping punches and Chuck is an excellent counter puncher or anything … Also realize that if this fight happens (which it won’t) it would happen in the US under the NSAC or CSAC which would mean that there would be no stomps and no knees or kicks to the head of a downed opponent which is a large part of Silva’s game.

Do you understand anything about MMA or did you just watch a couple rad Wandy HL clips?

Well I was wrong, Liddell beat him a lot faster then I thought. God Liddell is a beast. Sobral should not have done a stand up fight with him, I kind of figured he would though.

Good gameplan there, Babalu. Lunge wildly at a supreme counter striker and make no effort at defense. Brilliant. It seems like Babalu wanted to make it easy for Chuck.

But yeah, Chuck is a damned beast as we all knew. I just can’t believe someone who is such a good fighter would play directly into Chucks concrete block hands like that.

I’m not holding my breath for Silva-Liddel, but it would be awesome. As we all know their respective styles play directly into Chuck’s favor, but Wandy has proven to be impossible to hurt for more than a second (if a Mark Hunt hook-uppercut can’t knock Wand out, Liddel has little chance) and if he can use the fence to thai clinch he can pull it off. I give it even odds. I think Wandy’s performance against Cro Cop will be somewhat telling, because Mirko has an almost identical style to Chuck.

[quote]alfuh wrote:
…Also realize that if this fight happens (which it won’t)…
[/quote]

Were you not watching UFC 61 when Wanderlei Silva walked into the ring and challenged Chuck Liddell to a fight and then Dana White announced that if Chuck beat Sobral (which he did), then he would fight Silva in November???

Maybe I imagined it, even though there are announcements all over the internet about it. But hey! You’re the expert!

Already making excuses, huh? Great contingency plan. I mean, he’ll only have 4 or 5 MONTHS to train for a different set of rules…

[quote]
Do you understand anything about MMA or did you just watch a couple rad Wandy HL clips?[/quote]

You guys can condescend me and take on airs of superiority all day long, it aint gonna change my mind. We’ll all get to see the outcome when (not if) the fight happens. Until then you MMA experts can revel in your egotistical self-importance and masturbate to pics of Wanderlei Silva.

[quote]J.W. wrote:
alfuh wrote:
…Also realize that if this fight happens (which it won’t)…

Were you not watching UFC 61 when Wanderlei Silva walked into the ring and challenged Chuck Liddell to a fight and then Dana White announced that if Chuck beat Sobral (which he did), then he would fight Silva in November???

Maybe I imagined it, even though there are announcements all over the internet about it. But hey! You’re the expert!
[/quote]

Well, you must have missed the last 4 weeks where Dana looked like a huge jackass because he had to announce that the fight wasn’t going to happen. He tried to pull something out of his ass to save that card, and hadn’t planned anything out. Where it sits now, the UFC and Pride say it’s not happening.

Silva has already shown he doesn’t do well in the cage. He’s a lot better fighter now, but by fighting in the UFC he’s giving up one of biggest weapons.

His comment wasn’t even directed at you, it was in support of Chuck beating Silva. And I masturbate to Fedor, thank you very much.

What is the best bag for ground and pound training?

I finally saw it on YouTube…

Babalu’s performance was a bit disappointing if you ask me. I guess it will be Ortiz next…

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Well, you must have missed the last 4 weeks where Dana looked like a huge jackass because he had to announce that the fight wasn’t going to happen. He tried to pull something out of his ass to save that card, and hadn’t planned anything out. Where it sits now, the UFC and Pride say it’s not happening.
[/quote]

Well fuck me right up the goat ass! That sucks. I stand corrected.

Hey, we all need our hero’s I guess.

I have to hand it to Lidell, I’ve not seen too many guys who can land a big shot while moving as well as he can. He just doesn’t have to be set to hurt you. Babalu had him running backwards and sideways when he got hit with the first uppercut and it still dropped him. Impressive.

[quote]danew wrote:
I have to hand it to Lidell, I’ve not seen too many guys who can land a big shot while moving as well as he can. He just doesn’t have to be set to hurt you. Babalu had him running backwards and sideways when he got hit with the first uppercut and it still dropped him. Impressive.[/quote]

The only person who can move backwards and strike as well as Chuck is Cro Cop, and that’s some pretty impressive company. Babalu was too hyped up to beat him, and threw away any shred of a gameplan that could work.

[quote]J.W. wrote:
I stand corrected.

[/quote]

No problem. ;]

And btw the fight was announced for Nov. which is 3 months away, not 4 or 5 and with Silva fighting on the 10th he wouldn’t even have all of this time to train for it. But again, its all moot since Dana has gone on record saying that the fight is off.

Anyway, my other prediction was right. Melendez won his fight handily and completely controlled the action against a very game Obiya.

UFC-side the HW division is starting to see a glimmer of hope with Kongo and Vera putting together some impressive wins.

It was real unfortunate to see Babalu’s strategy come apart in about 30 seconds. He should have used more distance, but instead got caught shooting in again. Only this time it was an off-balanced uppercut that rocked him instead of a kick. Chuck throws some wicked hard punches to be able to knock guys silly while not planted.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
tykemathis wrote:
gotaknife wrote:
I dont care what happens next UFC as long as Liddel lives to fight Silva. That is going to rock (if it happens)!!

Although this would be a great fight there is a huge difference between 205 and 240 (or 185 depending on whitch Silva you are talking about).
Has anyone heard if Pride will be ditching the weight classes (if they have them still)
I don’t keep up with pride :frowning:

Silva, as in Wanderlei Silva, as in the legendary 205 pound fighter. If the only Silva’s you know about are Assuerio and Anderson, you need to broaden your horizons. And man, if your favorite heavyweights are Sylvia and Arlovski you really need to watch some Pride.

Ditch weight classes? Why would they do that? They are having an openweight tournament right now (which has basically become a heavyweight tournament + Silva), but weight classes aren’t going to change. Pride has Heavyweight (over 205), middleweight (205), welterweight (185), and lightweight (160).[/quote]

Everything i’ve read from you has been dead on donut, but i do believe silva is a 185. i may be wrong though. props for knowing the deal with ufc though, if silva liddell doesn’t happen dana white may have made a bigger ass of himself than ken shamrock going to wwf/e.

Wanderlei Silva is 205 lbs, in Pride they call the 205lbs division “middleweight”

Anyone else catch the Diaz-Neer fight? I thought Diaz might pull out a victory, but I didn’t expect him to look so good with only a weeks notice…man he was impressive, I liked hearing him talk about the UFC scoring as well…as some of you know, I wholeheartedly agree that takedowns do not equal victory.

Silva weighs 210. Before Mr. white cancelled the fight he brefily discussed it in a press conference. He said he would have silva for a total of three fights. I would think these types of deals between the UFC and Pride would take planning and contracts and such. I wonder why it would be cancelled if they already had it worked out. I don’t think Dana would bring it up in a fight if it wasn’t already for sure going to happen, they even had the date planned for November. Any thoughts guys.

By the way my money would be on Liddell. Silva dosn’t have a great record in the UFC and his wrestling isn’t quiet up to par. Chucks punches are dead accurate, he has the wrestling skills, and he is very accustemed to the cage and the brules that come with it.
I think Chucks next fight will be Ortiz. I don’t think Ortiz can beat Chuck either. Like Sobral, Ortiz will want to take the fight to the ground to work his ground and pound, but Liddell’s take down defence is just to great to overcome.

Does anyone watch Ultimate Fighter 4. I really don’t like it as much as the previous ones. Do the winners get to fight for the Championship belts? They keep saying they get a title shot but that just dosn’t make any since to me. None of those fighters has what it takes to even make a good challenge to Liddell or Hughes.

tykemathis, do you even pay attention to what is going on in these shows? The UFC 4 features fighters from the middleweight(185) and welterweight(170,) which weight class will have guys fighting Liddell?

As for Liddell’s takedown defense, it is good, but I have to believe that Tito has progressed enough where he could pose a threat with the proper game plan, of course I’d never bet on that unless I was given 10 to 1 odds, but still, I don’t think he will run thru Tito like he did last time…but then who really thought the Babalu fight would be over in a minute?

I would personally like to see Brandon Vera come down in weight and try LHW. With his height and reach, I think he would pose a serious threat to Liddell.

I know I’m hating on the guy, but Liddell needs to lose, his win streak only exposes how truly lacking the UFC’s LHW division is. Realistically, anybody who beats him will be seen as a major upset, but my main irritation is that any top ten boxer could come in and pick him apart which would not say much for mma.

ps-Wanderlei fights at 205, where are you getting 210? For the OWGP he was reportedly walking around at 215-220

why is is most people seem to either love or hate chuck & either love or hate silva? i cheer for both, & if they ever fight, there’s no way i would clearly predict a winner, they are both too talented & tough. it’s a joy to watch both imo.

silva is 31-5-1 & chuck is 19-3-0. they both have a ton of KO’s. they both have beaten very good opponents, at least at the time they fought them. they both have faced bigger opponents & won by KO (fujita & randleman). they are very hard to knock out (belfort knocked out silva about 500 years ago), & when rampage & couture got a tko on chuck it was fatigue on chuck’s part…they dominated the fight but he wasn’t knocked out.

these guys have taken some great shots & survived. anyone can win a fight on any given night but if belfort/silva 2 or rampage/chuck 2 happened i would easily bet on wandy & chuck.

people critiquing wandy & chuck’s striking skills is probably the oddest thing i’ve read in a while. these guys know what works for them & clearly it has. ask all of their victims what they think of their striking skills.

i hope they fight sometime, it would be a great matchup.