UFC Questions

[quote]leon79 wrote:
Great stuff so far guys. I knew I could count on the MMA fans on this site.

I second the request for a list of the rule differences between the two main leagues.

Also, how is Pride able to pay their fighters so much more than UFC? I suppose I’m just used to America having more money to throw around than any other country.[/quote]

Well Japan still has the second largest economy in the world despite a recession that has lasted 15 years.
The president of Pride has stated the majority of Pride’s revenue is from the gate. They regularly fill large stadiums. 40,000-50,000 people. Considering 160 dollar ticket is reasonable. 1000 dollars closer up. DSE which runs Pride has other businesses as well. Including a popular professional wrestling circuit.
MMA has been around awhile. From the UWF days, Pancrase, Rings(guys like Horn and Couture, Fedor, Nogueira, Henderson, Arona competed in Rings). Shooto as well which many fighters have competed in, current UFC and Pride fighters. Mant people in their twenties and older did Judo in school as it was part of the curriculum. It still is an elective in many places, highschool and college.
My father fought in Nihon Kempo(in college, they had teams) and was national champ twice, which used to look similar to todays K-1(boxing with muay thai, kind of), though they wore only six once gloves. They had headgear also. Some of his juniors went on to fight professionally in Muay Thai and became champions.

The culture is very different I suppose. You get respect in Japan if you did/do a martial art. There is no resistance to mma here, no debate if it is “bad” for society.
When I was in the states I never liked to mention anything about my training. There would always be the reaction like, “what would you do if I had a gun?! huh?!”, or all their ideas came from movies.

My father used to bring tapes of everything when I was a kid. Boxing, Kyokushin, judo, wrestling, K-1, Muay Thai, early mma.
I have not been back for a few years. I would assume that the quality of training has gotten better in the states. The fighters are better now also. They used to be really bad in my time in the states.

I think the number one reason for the Belfort hype was his fight against Vanderlei Silva in Ultimate Brazil. Check out the entire fight here (don’t worry, it’s not a large download at all…):

For more Vitor highlights:

[quote]Determined wrote:

Much better then the UFC heavyweight match
we all we suffered through this past weekend.
I do like the UFC though so settle down haters.[/quote]

That damn fight was so boring. It was like they were both to scared to really go for the kill. Why didn’t Andre take Tim down to the mat and do the ground and pound on him?

[quote]treco wrote:
Thanks otoko. What is 4 point knee?[/quote]

Kneeing to the head of an opponent while on the ground/north-south position.

La’
Redsol1

[quote]elliot007 wrote:
mma.tv is the best forum[/quote]

I haven’t checked that one out, I’ll have a looksy.

[quote]JohnnyNinja wrote:
They are governed by the NVSAC, which many seem to forget when they start arguing the state of UFC today(IE weight classes, rounds gloves, doc. stopage, intelligently defending oneself etc etc.)[/quote]

Truth, which is why I am worried about Pride’s U.S. fight. I love soccer kicks, head stomps, knees from the sprawl, and the 10 minute round. Without them Pride has a greatly diminished product, IMO.

[quote]otoko wrote:

Well Japan still has the second largest economy in the world despite a recession that has lasted 15 years.
The president of Pride has stated the majority of Pride’s revenue is from the gate. They regularly fill large stadiums. 40,000-50,000 people. Considering 160 dollar ticket is reasonable. 1000 dollars closer up. DSE which runs Pride has other businesses as well. Including a popular professional wrestling circuit.
MMA has been around awhile. From the UWF days, Pancrase, Rings(guys like Horn and Couture, Fedor, Nogueira, Henderson, Arona competed in Rings). Shooto as well which many fighters have competed in, current UFC and Pride fighters. Mant people in their twenties and older did Judo in school as it was part of the curriculum. It still is an elective in many places, highschool and college.
My father fought in Nihon Kempo(in college, they had teams) and was national champ twice, which used to look similar to todays K-1(boxing with muay thai, kind of), though they wore only six once gloves. They had headgear also. Some of his juniors went on to fight professionally in Muay Thai and became champions.

The culture is very different I suppose. You get respect in Japan if you did/do a martial art. There is no resistance to mma here, no debate if it is “bad” for society.
When I was in the states I never liked to mention anything about my training. There would always be the reaction like, “what would you do if I had a gun?! huh?!”, or all their ideas came from movies.

My father used to bring tapes of everything when I was a kid. Boxing, Kyokushin, judo, wrestling, K-1, Muay Thai, early mma.
I have not been back for a few years. I would assume that the quality of training has gotten better in the states. The fighters are better now also. They used to be really bad in my time in the states.
[/quote]

Fantastic post Otoko, I also notice that Japanese fans are also more respectful and loyal. Americans seem to be far more fickel and ill-informed when it comes to their hobbies, and entertainment. Whereas there is a common respect. Not only that but as donut was saying many of the American MMA forums I have seen are breeding grounds for idiocy.

I never got the “bad for society argument” either, look at Japan’s crime rates and tell me it “makes people violent”, it’s more deeper in American culture, if they think wrestling/mma is the root of violence, lol.

The next time you watch a Pride event in Japan, look at the crowd when the fight is in progress. No one is yelling or standing. They are just sitting quietly.

is there a reason for UFC not being able to get deeper line up of fighters?

is there a reason UFC cant get a deeper line up of fighters?

[quote]Devstar wrote:
is there a reason UFC cant get a deeper line up of fighters?[/quote]

it’$ pretty obviou$ if you a$k me.

[quote]Devstar wrote:
is there a reason for UFC not being able to get deeper line up of fighters? [/quote]

They are experiencing explosive growth, mostly because of the show TUF. TUF guys aren’t top tier fighters, but the show gets fans to build an emotional attachment to the guys and they beg to see them in the Octagon. Because they really aren’t all that (as Chris Leben demonstrated) they don’t have to pay them well, and more money in the pockets of Zuffa. Why should they pay for better fighters when every PPV is setting records as it is? Good for UFC and MMA exposure, bad for the hard core fans.

Pay sherdog.com a visit it’ll teach you alot of what you want to know.

[quote]palves wrote:

Volume 2 : Pride 6,7,8,9,11. (Don’t ask me why they did not put 10 in this set)

[/quote]

could it be b/c 10 has what is considered one of the worst beat-downs in history? (if i’m not mistaken)

[quote]allNatural wrote:
palves wrote:

could it be b/c 10 has what is considered one of the worst beat-downs in history? (if i’m not mistaken)[/quote]

Pride 10 is generaly considered the turning point of Pride into the premier league, and one of the best early MMA cards ever. They released it in a special edition Ringside Collector’s DVD. There are lots of good beat downs, Yvel v Goodridge, Igor vs Enson, Shamrock has a heart attack agsint Fujita, Silva vs Mezger, Sakuraba vs Gracie

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
allNatural wrote:
palves wrote:

could it be b/c 10 has what is considered one of the worst beat-downs in history? (if i’m not mistaken)

Pride 10 is generaly considered the turning point of Pride into the premier league, and one of the best early MMA cards ever. They released it in a special edition Ringside Collector’s DVD. There are lots of good beat downs, Yvel v Goodridge, Igor vs Enson, Shamrock has a heart attack agsint Fujita, Silva vs Mezger, Sakuraba vs Gracie[/quote]

yea, it was igor v enson. They destroyed eachother and Enson reportly almost died

Man oh man, I knew you guys would come through for me. The reason I sought information here rather than on a MMA forum was because as I was becoming interested in this sport, I noticed how knowledgeable all of you were.

To date, I’ve watched most UFC available on DVD, but only one or two Pride cards. I’m not sure I can depend on my local chain stores to help me out, so I’ll probably end up ordering some DVD’s off Amazon. Just today, however, I saw an advertisement for Pride to be aired on what I believe was FSM (I’m in Missouri).

Again, thanks for your help. I’ll keep reading all the MMA threads that will undoubtedly continue to pop up on this site.