T Nation

UFC/MMA @ Vancouver '10

I was wondering if anyone else thinks that with the large growth of the UFC and mixed martial arts if a “freestyle” kickboxing/grappling event may be added (if they don’t already have one?).

I think this could be a great thing to promote if countries actually send their better fighters (which is questionable, especially with lack of pay day and whatever restrictions on “professionals” they have).

So could MMA be the next area where they allow “professionals” to compete in the olympics? Does anyone else think if they scheduled it properly that it could be a ratings monster?

Or am I just really tired and need to shut up and go to bed?

Random things off the top of my head:

I think a sport has to be played in a certain number of countries before its added to the Olympic games.

Tae Kwon Do wasn’t added until 1988, and TKD is old as hell and practiced all over.

Either jiu jitsu or submission grappling would be added to the games before MMA would be.

I think submission grappling is much more elegant, in any event; so I’d rather see it added before MMA.

Wasn’t Pankration part of the Olympics a long long time ago? Which is mma-like.
Isn’t Vancouver the Winter Olympics? So any mma or any grappling sport wouldn’t be introduced at a winter olympics.

[quote]otoko wrote:
Wasn’t Pankration part of the Olympics a long long time ago? Which is mma-like.
Isn’t Vancouver the Winter Olympics? So any mma or any grappling sport wouldn’t be introduced at a winter olympics.[/quote]

While this is true, the modern day Olympics have some significant differences to the ancient Greek Olympics.

During the build up to the 2004 Olympics in Athens, I recall the discussion on a Greek channel about the fact that the Olympic commitee were considering adding a modified version of Pankration as an Olympic sport. There was strong opposition to this so it didn’t happen.

Before it could even be considered, I think we would need a universal set of rules governing MMA. We are getting closer, but right now depending on where you see it MMA can look very different.

I think we will see submission grappling, much like ADCC, before we see MMA.

I think 2010 is the Winter Olympics. 2008 are the summer games and I think they are going to be in China.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I think 2010 is the Winter Olympics. 2008 are the summer games and I think they are going to be in China.[/quote]

I was thinking it would fit better in the summer because of the exclusion of baseball now, but thought wrestling was a winter sport (well it is in HS/College) so was thinking it would have to be included then I guess.