T Nation

UFC Merges with WEC

Speaks for itself! Last WEC fight is in December. Can’t wait, some of those lightweights and bantam weights are pretty good.

Kenny Florian VS Jose Aldo???

Urijah Faber VS BJ Penn maybe? Catch weight fight?

Opens up sooo many oppourtunites

What about henderson- the title holder.

lot of cuts after the merge.

good to see tiny M.F.'s get into the big leauge

Cool I guess.

Can’t stand Dana White, so the less I see him the happier I am, but… this’ll make watching the little guys easier.

Any news of the weight classes the “unified” UFC will have? Would like to see all the way down to 125. I’d also still like to see something between HW and LHW.

There will be all the standard weight divisions plus the lightweights. Dana said eventually there will be a 125 pound division within the UFC. I think merging was a smart move. However, its going to make the UFC HUUUUUGGGE and competition A LOT stiffer.

Dana has stated a LW unification bout will occur. And I just MMAgasmed.

Yaaaaaaaay.

It’s about time.

I wonder when they are going to acquire (bankrupt) strikeforce and bring in the women and the super heavies

[quote]admbaum wrote:
I wonder when they are going to acquire (bankrupt) strikeforce and bring in the women and the super heavies[/quote

The UFC already has the heavies worth having, and definetely all of the “superheavies”

I’m stoed for the wec fighters though. Now people that only turn in for huge names will get to see how consistently entertaining the lighter guys are. It sucks that the lighter weights are always so hard to market. It took the collapse of heavyweight boxing to make real light stars and in reality, other than mayweather that has been largely to the support of latino populations. The 145 pound weight class might be my favorite right now and henderson edgar at 155 will be epic.

super heavies as in 265#+…geez, I guess you really gotta get literal around here

Henderson/Edgar isnt a fight I’d hold my breath for. Edgar will smash Henderson, but thats besides the point. The biggest draw in the UFC are heavyweights. Its just like bodybuilding in that regard. Everyone respects the little guys, but only really care to see the freakishly hyooge guys.

[quote]admbaum wrote:
I wonder when they are going to acquire (bankrupt) strikeforce and bring in the women and the super heavies[/quote]

If the UFC has a place for 125 pound men, they better have a place for women.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]admbaum wrote:
I wonder when they are going to acquire (bankrupt) strikeforce and bring in the women and the super heavies[/quote]

If the UFC has a place for 125 pound men, they better have a place for women.[/quote]

Why? Most people don’t really want to watch women fight unless that woman is Gina Carano.

[quote]admbaum wrote:
The biggest draw in the UFC are heavyweights. Its just like bodybuilding in that regard. Everyone respects the little guys, but only really care to see the freakishly hyooge guys.[/quote]

Hmm…I don’t really think that is true. Even so,I think it will change with this WEC merger. WEC guys put on hella performances on a consistent basis…unlike UFC heavyweights.

If it wasn’t for Brock…and now Cain. No one would give shit about HW’s except for more knowledgeable,devoted fans of the sport.

Wait till the “casual” fans see guys like Scott Jorgensen,Dominic Cruz go hard at it every round of a fight.

i agree with big boss, this mereger is a great thing, ands more so by having more exposure to people who may have toiled in obscurity get greater chances, and that the casual fan will become hardcore.

I dont know…I think that Zuffa (UFC) is trying to monopolize the sport. And the worst part of it is the fact that with TUF being the entry point of the UFC these days, the sport is becoming more like WWE in that they are looking for characters more than they are looking for great fighters. It could be a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. Boxing has way too many promotions for casual fans to keep up with and it was starting to happen to MMA. Anyways, there are many exciting fighters in the heavies…Carwin, dos Santos, Mir, Couture, Nogeria, Cro Cop, Werdum come to mind and when Zuffa bankrupts strikeforce, they’ll have Overeem. You cant tell me the casual fan cant get behind Overeem. The guy is a beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nxXbCz1SAM

[quote]admbaum wrote:
I dont know…I think that Zuffa (UFC) is trying to monopolize the sport. And the worst part of it is the fact that with TUF being the entry point of the UFC these days, the sport is becoming more like WWE in that they are looking for characters more than they are looking for great fighters. It could be a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. Boxing has way too many promotions for casual fans to keep up with and it was starting to happen to MMA. Anyways, there are many exciting fighters in the heavies…Carwin, dos Santos, Mir, Couture, Nogeria, Cro Cop, Werdum come to mind and when Zuffa bankrupts strikeforce, they’ll have Overeem. You cant tell me the casual fan cant get behind Overeem. The guy is a beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nxXbCz1SAM [/quote]

i’ve seen some of his stuff, but not all that much…that highlight reel is badass.

Knocking out K1 Champions and tapping out Gracie Black belts. Overeem is well rounded.

I actually don’t mind the women fighting…Gina Carano and Cyborg are some good ones but What other women are worth mentioning? IDK…If Dana wanted women in the UFC don’t you think he’d done it already?

Sarah is fierce

then there’s Michelle

There are women in the game and if they can make the money UFC pays out, there will be more.

[quote]FrozenNinja wrote:
I actually don’t mind the women fighting…Gina Carano and Cyborg are some good ones but What other women are worth mentioning? IDK…If Dana wanted women in the UFC don’t you think he’d done it already?[/quote]
Well Megumi Fujii even though she got super robbed yesterday, Marloes Coenen, Sarah Kaufman.