T Nation

UFC Live, UFC 111, and UFC Fight Night

March seems to be one hell of a month for mma, followed closely by april. Who’s F*n excited!?

I am. I want to see Mir get knocked the fuck out and want to see GSP defend his title.

I am. I want to see Gomi ko Kennay.

Be glad to see GSP smash a superman punch into Dan Hardy’s shit talking mouth.

Chill it’s just to hype the fight.

I’m chilled, I just think Hardy is an obnoxious twat regardless. Anyway, my picks for 111:

Carwin vs Mir: I’m giving the edge to Mir, due to experience and better technical ability in both ground game and standup, but I can’t help but shake the feeling Carwin can end Mir’s night with a punch that slips through.

GSP vs Hardy: Bias aside, I feel GSP is superior in both standup and ground game. IMO Thiago Alves was a bigger threat than Hardy will ever be. However as we all know, The canuck Superman’s kryptonite is a suspect chin, Hardy throws hard, a lucky shot could end it.

Ellenberger vs Saunders: Don’t really care, but I think Ellenberger will tear Saunders a new one. Ellenberger has put away quite a few fighters that would shit down Saunder’s neck.

Alves vs Fitch: I like Fitch, and he is extremely talented, but he just sometimes he just seems to have a failure to launch mentally, against a dangerous opponent like Alves, he won’t have room to breath and get his mindset in the right place like he would against a lesser fighter. Alves is much improved and far more experienced. He’s either got to bring it, or Alves get’s his vindication via KO.

The rest I don’t really care enough about.

I’m excited for sure. 3 events in the next 10 days. :slight_smile:

Fights I actually want to watch and care about

Gsp vs Hardy - I agree with Aussie, Gsp is a much more well rounded fighter and 99 times out of 100 he wins the fight, but Serra caught him with a punch so Hardy does have that slim change but I think GSP puts him away second round.

Mir vs Carwin - This is tough to call, but my money is on Mir. I think he will submit Carwin either after he is taken down (Carwin is a good wrestler) or after catching carwin with a shot. I dont think Mir has the power to put away Carwin on the feet, Tho he did KO Nog which suprised me. I’m taking Mir Sub early.

Alves vs Fitch - This is the fight I am really excited for, I dont know how to call this, Alves is a different fighter than he was when they first fought. But Fitch man, that guy is a Work horse. I think this one is going to decision (like most of fitch’s fights. Its anybody’s fight.

Dos Santos vs Gonzaga - I think this will be a really good fight as well to see what Santos is really made of.

Gomi vs Ken-flo - I haven’t seen any of Gomi’s recent fights but he doesn’t seem to be the same fighter he was in his early pride days. But who knows. Its going to be a decent fight I like kenny for the victory tho.

Either way lots to be excited about in the ufc for this next week and a half or so! :slight_smile:

My picks for UFC on versus:

Jones vs Vera- I honestly think this should be a very good fight and could go either way, assuming that the good Branden Vera actually shows up. Vera is definitely the more technical striker and I think could give Jones some problems on the feet. But man, Jones’ wrestling has looked sick. I know that Vera is no slouch, but I really think that Jones has the advantage in the wrestling department. If Vera can keep it on the feet and make Jones strike with him, then I think he’ll win. If Jones can close the gap and make Vera wrestle with him, then Jones will win.

Gomi vs Ken-flo- I’ve also gotta give the nod to Ken-flo at this point. He’s fought a higher level of competition than Gomi as of late, and he has continued to improve his skills. I don’t think he’ll ever beat Penn (but then again I don’t think Penn is gonna lose to anyone in the LW division so long as he stays healthy and hungry), but I don’t think that Gomi is on the level of Penn at this point.

Dos Santos vs Gonzaga- Gotta give Dos Santos the advantage. Gonzaga is a BJJ world champ, and a big, strong dude who has the potential to either submit or KO Junior. But, Junior is the bigger fighter, better striker IMO, and has the better camp (he’s used to working with submission guys like Nog, strikers like Anderson, and wrestlers like Munoz).

Picks for 111:

GSP vs Hardy- I agree, GSP wins 99 out of 100 times. Hardy has heavy hands and thus has a puncher’s chance. But that’s really the only chance he’s got IMO. Alves also has heavy hands, and had proven up until fighting GSP that he also had great takedown defense (stopping the takedowns of Karo, Hughes, and Kos). And look at how easily GSP took him down (even doing so for 2 rounds with a pulled groin no less). I suspect he’ll be able to take Hardy down with no difficulty at all and, unlike Alves who is a pretty good BJJ guy, finish him once he gets there.

Mir vs Carwin- This one could go either way and is going to come down to whoever makes the first mistake IMO. Carwin probably has the better wresting, Mir has the better submissions. Carwin has more power on the feet, Mir is the more technical striker. Carwin might have the strength advantage, but I don’t think it’s going to be all that much of a factor in this fight. Mir keeps getting bigger and stronger training with Phillipi, and I think he’ll be able to match (or at least handle) Carwin’s strength. We haven’t ever seen what Carwin’s gas tank is like, but since he was a wrestler, I’d have to give him the slight conditioning advantage.

Fitch vs Alves- Going with Fitch for this one. Yeah, I know that Alves has greatly improved since their last fight, but I still don’t see him KO’ing Fitch (who has an iron chin), and still think that Fitch’s relentless pace and grinding style are going to give Alves trouble. Fitch is still the #2 WW IMO but, unfortunately for him, he’s just not that entertaining to watch for the casual fan.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
I’m chilled, I just think Hardy is an obnoxious twat regardless. Anyway, my picks for 111:

Carwin vs Mir: I’m giving the edge to Mir, due to experience and better technical ability in both ground game and standup, but I can’t help but shake the feeling Carwin can end Mir’s night with a punch that slips through.

GSP vs Hardy: Bias aside, I feel GSP is superior in both standup and ground game. IMO Thiago Alves was a bigger threat than Hardy will ever be. However as we all know, The canuck Superman’s kryptonite is a suspect chin, Hardy throws hard, a lucky shot could end it.

Ellenberger vs Saunders: Don’t really care, but I think Ellenberger will tear Saunders a new one. Ellenberger has put away quite a few fighters that would shit down Saunder’s neck.

Alves vs Fitch: I like Fitch, and he is extremely talented, but he just sometimes he just seems to have a failure to launch mentally, against a dangerous opponent like Alves, he won’t have room to breath and get his mindset in the right place like he would against a lesser fighter. Alves is much improved and far more experienced. He’s either got to bring it, or Alves get’s his vindication via KO.

[/quote]
When Serra put GSP down it was a shot behind the ear not on the chin, where did this myth that GSP has a weak chin start?

UFC on Versus
Jon Jones
The headhunter KO
Gonzaga (people underestimate him)
Sakara

UFC 111
Bocek sub
Carwin KO
Saunders tko
Fitch UD
Diaz sub
Almeida decision
Camoes sub
Palhares sub or dec

UFC Fight Night (only 2 good fights)
Gomi KO
Roy Nelson tko or sub

[quote]drewh wrote:

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:

[/quote]
When Serra put GSP down it was a shot behind the ear not on the chin, where did this myth that GSP has a weak chin start?[/quote]

I think people just associate getting KO’d with getting hit in the chin. So if someone get’s KO’d, it’s because of their chin. Not that that’s necessarily correct.

[quote]drewh wrote:
UFC on Versus
Jon Jones
The headhunter KO
Sakara

UFC 111
Bocek sub
Carwin KO
Saunders tko
Fitch UD
Diaz sub
Almeida decision
Camoes sub
Palhares sub or dec

Gomi KO
Roy Nelson tko or sub[/quote]

I’m pretty much with you on this one drewh. My only disagreement is I think the sandman will take sakara.

[quote]drewh wrote:
UFC on Versus
Jon Jones
The headhunter KO
Sakara

UFC 111
Bocek sub
Carwin KO
Saunders tko
Fitch UD
Diaz sub
Almeida decision
Camoes sub
Palhares sub or dec

Gomi KO
Roy Nelson tko or sub[/quote]

What about GSP vs Hardy?

GSP

Interestingly enough Jake Shields is a free agent after the Hendo fight.

jon jones baby

Jones vs Bader
Dos Santos vs Valasquez
Anyone else want to see these fights?

[quote]drewh wrote:
Jones vs Bader
Dos Santos vs Valasquez
Anyone else want to see these fights?[/quote]

Hell yeah for Dos Santos/Velasquez…

Jones/Bader…maybe. I will say that Bader is definitely a step-up in competition from Hamill and Vera at this point.

[quote]drewh wrote:
Jones vs Bader
Dos Santos vs Valasquez
Anyone else want to see these fights?[/quote]

Dos Santos vs Velasquez, hell yeah.

Jones vs Bader, eh, wouldn’t be a bad fight, but I’d rather see him fight Randy.

I attended the UFC on Versus card this evening. Great fights all the way through!

Brendan Schaub (who fights out of Denver, this event was in a Denver suburb) received by far the loudest applause, then the building blew its top when he beat Gormley in 47s. He came out guns blazing from the beginning and did work.

Doomsday looked good in his KO win, as did Guida with the nice submission win v Gugerty.

The Irvin injury was gruesome, and of course they had to show it 10 times on the replay screen.

Kongo impressive win v Buentello, looks like he’s back on track. Kongo is WAY bigger and more shredded in person than on TV. Absolute brick of a man.

My boy Cigano nice counter knockout to Gonzaga’s leg kick. I was the only one in my section cheering for Cigano, I’m so glad he won. Agreed with previous comments re: JDS/Cain.

Bones very impressive win. I just read Vera’s cheekbone broken in three places from the elbow Jones gave him. Bader would be a good opponent. Maybe Thiago Silva, since every other contender is fighting soon.

And of course, it’s not a UFC event without two brotards in the next section having a fight. Had their TapouT gear on and everything brah, ya feelz me?