T Nation

UFC Fight Night Live

On spike…who else on here watching? Just saw the 8 second TKO where houston alexander got supermanned and TKO’d…kinda controversal…any opinions?

SPOILERS!!!1111

I thought it was a good stoppage. Houston recovered quickly, but he was out like a light. Diaz really impressed me. Really. I came in hating him, but that kid took a beating, took it like a man, and came back to win it. Nice job by hamill. We can only hope he goes anorexic and sucks down to middleweight to beat the crap outta bisping

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
SPOILERS!!!1111

I thought it was a good stoppage. Houston recovered quickly, but he was out like a light. Diaz really impressed me. Really. I came in hating him, but that kid took a beating, took it like a man, and came back to win it. Nice job by hamill. We can only hope he goes anorexic and sucks down to middleweight to beat the crap outta bisping[/quote]

yeah, but what interested me was on the replay the little superman barely connected. I think houston kinda fell outta it anticipating the rock to the jaw. Now mazzagatti made a quick call on the thiago alves(sp) fight. Im not a ref, but he seemed to call that quick.

The diaz fight was great. I was impressed by diaz too, BUT i think it coulda got called when his face was getting rocked. I mean it was bad, but he had his arms pinned down to his sides.

Nate Diaz’s triangle was mad pimp. I think Djwlfpack is there, so hopefully he can give us the live write up later.

For whoever’s watching TUF, Rampage is too funny: “I think they crapped their pants…I smelled it!” ROFL

[quote]Reef wrote:
For whoever’s watching TUF, Rampage is too funny: “I think they crapped their pants…I smelled it!” ROFL

[/quote]

HAHA…yeha hes something else…watching these guys without training from the coaches shows a world of difference from the fights we seen earlier tonight

I loved when Diaz gave the double fingers. He knew he had 'em.

I kind of chuckle at Karo, since he said he didn’t want to fight Fitch because he wanted to protect his title shot, and then he gets sparked by Alves. I thought the stoppage was premature, but not a horrible stoppage.

Poor Tommy Speer. The shot of him getting KTFO looked more like a prison rape scene than anything else.

TUF was pretty cool, except for the d-bag who kept talking smack after lighting up Rampage’s friend. And what’s up with Cale Yarborough? With a name like that did he drive a Nextel Cup car to the tryout?

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Poor Tommy Speer. The shot of him getting KTFO looked more like a prison rape scene than anything else.

TUF was pretty cool, except for the d-bag who kept talking smack after lighting up Rampage’s friend. And what’s up with Cale Yarborough? With a name like that did he drive a Nextel Cup car to the tryout?[/quote]

I thought Rampage was giving that guy shit before the fight.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
[/quote]

That whole sequence looked like a prison rape scene. I guess he didn’t have his country breakfast.

Overall it was kind of a disappointing night for me. I just thought there would be more to a lot of those fights.

Diaz impressed the hell out of me as did Florian. The Speers fight looked like a vet fighting a wrestler who had never been taught stand-up. After he got rocked and did that half-assed takedown attempt I actually felt sorry for the guy. He had nothing.

Absolutely love the new TUF format. However, it will be interestig to see how it shakes out as I have had two different gym owners tell me, based on fighters they have sent to audtiion, they were casting for character over skill. It would be very interesting to watch a season of focused, no BS fighters training and fighting hard but will that entertain the broader viewers?

I guess my point is I am wondering if the new format will appeal more to the people who actually like the training and fighting vs. the character development and drama which I assume is the minority of viewers.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Overall it was kind of a disappointing night for me. I just thought there would be more to a lot of those fights.

Diaz impressed the hell out of me as did Florian. The Speers fight looked like a vet fighting a wrestler who had never been taught stand-up. After he got rocked and did that half-assed takedown attempt I actually felt sorry for the guy. He had nothing.

Absolutely love the new TUF format. However, it will be interestig to see how it shakes out as I have had two different gym owners tell me, based on fighters they have sent to audtiion, they were casting for character over skill. It would be very interesting to watch a season of focused, no BS fighters training and fighting hard but will that entertain the broader viewers?

I guess my point is I am wondering if the new format will appeal more to the people who actually like the training and fighting vs. the character development and drama which I assume is the minority of viewers.[/quote]

Character as in personality or character as in hard worker?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Character as in personality or character as in hard worker?[/quote]

Good question as I hadn’t thought of it being interpreted in that context.

Character as in personality/controversiality.

Great night overall. Only two decisions the whole night.

I had hope for Tim Boetsch. His game plan appeared to be ‘swing for the fences.’ Houston, sad day. Much more respect for Diaz. I’m glad the ref let him scramble out. Mazzagati always seems to jump in too soon.

I enjoyed the fights and the show last night. One of the better nights for the UFC. I was almost in awe of how nasty Anthony Johnson got with Speer. It was almost akin to GSP/Hughes II. Until the KO. That reminded me of old school Tank Abbott! As for TUF, I like the direction it’s gone in. You can definitely tell who came prepared, and who shouldn’t have been there. Some guys went into that cage with NO HEART whatsoever. But I am definitely liking Amir Sadollah. He has a very natural charisma about him. Did anyone else notice how he sorta stood out from everyone else? Especially being an 0-0 pro.

Damn I missed it how did Matt Hamill do? i didn’t even know he was fighting last night damn.

Tommy got freak’en rocked, thanks for the video Boos!

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:

But I am definitely liking Amir Sadollah. He has a very natural charisma about him. Did anyone else notice how he sorta stood out from everyone else? Especially being an 0-0 pro.[/quote]

YEah, that was bizarre. He fought a guy with like 8 fights and beat him pretty soundly ending in submission. I was really surprised.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Beast27195 wrote:

But I am definitely liking Amir Sadollah. He has a very natural charisma about him. Did anyone else notice how he sorta stood out from everyone else? Especially being an 0-0 pro.

YEah, that was bizarre. He fought a guy with like 8 fights and beat him pretty soundly ending in submission. I was really surprised.

[/quote]

He did the “awesome” cage jump too! And anybody who rocks the late 80s/early 90s sideburn razor lines (or whatever they’re called) is cool in my book.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Damn I missed it how did Matt Hamill do? i didn’t even know he was fighting last night damn.

[/quote]

Matt Hamill did pretty well. He finished it in the second round with what joe rogan described as the “rape choke”. Hamil was on top with one hand across the throat and the other dropping repeated punches. His stand up showed some improvment imo.