UFC Benefits

Yeah I would think that a health plan would be beneficial for most members IF the price is affordable.
And I heard about the new social health law coming through so I understand that this may not be the best time to reform everything.

Here is the website I had spoken about in my earlier post. The company is a UK based one. http://www.grapplingartsassociation.org/

@ MightyCivil - I would be interested in seeing a survey of how many MMA fighters have their own private health insurance. From those I know and have talked to, most do not go out and buy their own, and if they are covered under some health insurance, it is usually because of an outside full time job they have or through a significant other whose job allows them to put others (wifes/husbands/children/etc) under the policy as well.

[quote]LevelHeaded wrote:
Here is the website I had spoken about in my earlier post. The company is a UK based one. http://www.grapplingartsassociation.org/

@ MightyCivil - I would be interested in seeing a survey of how many MMA fighters have their own private health insurance. From those I know and have talked to, most do not go out and buy their own, and if they are covered under some health insurance, it is usually because of an outside full time job they have or through a significant other whose job allows them to put others (wifes/husbands/children/etc) under the policy as well. [/quote]

Most insurance companies would turn them down.

UFC and all that is mostly acting anyway, though not as blatant as carnival sideshows like the WWE. No one ever really gets seriously hurt, except by accident. Its all one big company.

We’re in the equivalent of the 1950’s and pro wrestling, when most thought it was real. Pretty funny when you think about it – people actually thought the stuff was real.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

@ MightyCivil - I would be interested in seeing a survey of how many MMA fighters have their own private health insurance. From those I know and have talked to, most do not go out and buy their own, and if they are covered under some health insurance, it is usually because of an outside full time job they have or through a significant other whose job allows them to put others (wifes/husbands/children/etc) under the policy as well. [/quote]

Most insurance companies would turn them down.

UFC and all that is mostly acting anyway, though not as blatant as carnival sideshows like the WWE. No one ever really gets seriously hurt, except by accident. Its all one big company.

We’re in the equivalent of the 1950’s and pro wrestling, when most thought it was real. Pretty funny when you think about it – people actually thought the stuff was real.
[/quote]

So your belief is that professional MMA is all rigged and fake? If that is correct, why do you think that? Or am I just too tired to read into the sarcasm?

You’re just too tired to see that troll with 13000 posts, posts a lot.

I suspect you’re right. Certainly in respect of MMA fighters who are not full-time professional fighters it would seem likely that they would rely on whatever health insurance they could obtain through their ‘day-job’ employers.

Now I think about it, even someone like Shane Carwin (who I understand has a normal job outside of MMA) may use his employer’s health insurance in the event of an MMA injury, however, it would be standard for those policies to exclude certain dangerous activities. I guess the practical answer is to lie about how you sustained the injury.

[quote]MightyCivil wrote:

I suspect you’re right. Certainly in respect of MMA fighters who are not full-time professional fighters it would seem likely that they would rely on whatever health insurance they could obtain through their ‘day-job’ employers.

Now I think about it, even someone like Shane Carwin (who I understand has a normal job outside of MMA) may use his employer’s health insurance in the event of an MMA injury, however, it would be standard for those policies to exclude certain dangerous activities. I guess the practical answer is to lie about how you sustained the injury.
[/quote]

All you need to do is make sure that athletic related injuries are covered under your policy (which most insurances do cover) and when you go, state that you were exercising or doing some soft of cross training. Not really lying, but just not saying you were involved with mixed martial arts/combat arts. Several years ago when I was still in grad school, I injured my knee playing on a co-rec softball team and the insurance I was under at the time was under my parent, and it still covered the MRI without questions.