T Nation

UFC 98 - One Boring Fighter Got to Lose

As a preface, I have to acknowledge that both fighters have stepped it up and started finishing fights in exciting and dominant fashion.

That said, I’ve disliked both since their beginnings in the UFC as boring - either the lay n do nothing of Rashad’s early fights, or the dance and do nothing of Lyoto’s.

Everytime each of them have fought I’ve been praying for one to get planted, and each time they’ve left me frustrated.

But my prayers look to have been answered as they now line up to fight each other and one of them has to lose. Since God has been ignoring me up until now, I’m hoping for a double KO that leaves them both on their backs. Dare to dream I guess.

well who the hell is machida fighting? seen as evans is taking on rampage. I checked the website and nothing is confirmed yet there.

As per your comments, i agree that evans was boring, expecially against bisping and tito, but hopefully he’s turned the corner now after beating lidell and griffin in exciting fashion.

I have to say i like rampage a lot though and hope he wins. His whole persona is so funny and entertaining.

As for machida, i like his elusive style and think he is due a crack at the title pretty soon where he is likely to be tested more, and have to open up more.

Rampage will probably not make the fight due to injury, it looks like it will be Lyoto vs Rashad

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Rampage will probably not make the fight due to injury, it looks like it will be Lyoto vs Rashad[/quote]

NO!

Shit, I really wanted to see Rampage fight. I do agree that his whole persona is quite entertaining. I don’t know who I wanted to win though.

I don’t think either are boring. I think they both do what they need to do to win. They both understand the rules and how to best win within them.

What drives absolutly nuts is fighters that think they are giving the fans what they want to see at the expense of a win.

Do you want to see idiots just slugging it out or can you appreciate a good strategic game plan.

Prime example…Lytle .vs Davis. I guess it sounded cool when they said the first guy to take it to the ground was a pussy, but…

How fucking stupid was it for Lytle to keep slugging it out when he was obviously behind and not gaining any momentum? Everyone says he has a great ground game but he thought we would enjoy him purposely handcuffing himself. Why not just put one hand behind his back?

I say the best style withing the rules wins. Name a sport where this is not the goal. If you can’t appreciate masterful gameplanning within the rules of the game, maybe you would like toughman bouts a bit more?

I hate fair weather fans who criticize Machida. He’s effective and has taken the least damage out of any UFC fighter. I think its beatiful to wathc his footwork plus he has sick sweeps. Anderson Silva says Lyoto is the only person to get the best of him in sparring.

[quote]drewh wrote:
I hate fair weather fans who criticize Machida. He’s effective and has taken the least damage out of any UFC fighter. I think its beatiful to wathc his footwork plus he has sick sweeps. Anderson Silva says Lyoto is the only person to get the best of him in sparring.[/quote]

If I’ve never been a fan of his, how does this make me fair weather?

I don’t give a damn about how beautiful you think his fights are to watch, I want to see him get knocked out.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
I don’t think either are boring. I think they both do what they need to do to win. They both understand the rules and how to best win within them.

What drives absolutly nuts is fighters that think they are giving the fans what they want to see at the expense of a win.

Do you want to see idiots just slugging it out or can you appreciate a good strategic game plan.

Prime example…Lytle .vs Davis. I guess it sounded cool when they said the first guy to take it to the ground was a pussy, but…

How fucking stupid was it for Lytle to keep slugging it out when he was obviously behind and not gaining any momentum? Everyone says he has a great ground game but he thought we would enjoy him purposely handcuffing himself. Why not just put one hand behind his back?

I say the best style withing the rules wins. Name a sport where this is not the goal. If you can’t appreciate masterful gameplanning within the rules of the game, maybe you would like toughman bouts a bit more?
[/quote]

I don’t know how you extrapolated that bullshit out of what I wrote, but thanks for speaking for me and then arguing against your own interpretation, that is truly the epitome of argumentation.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
either the lay n do nothing of Rashad’s early fights, or the dance and do nothing of Lyoto’s. [/quote]

Yea some of Rashad’s early fights, but the KO of Chuck and the TKO of Forrest were boring? Even some older fights like the sean salmon highlight reel head kick were boring?

Oh yea Lyoto’s last second KO of Thiago was boring too?

Two other points; Both of their “boring” styles have been getting what’s most important…wins and “boring” is pretty subjective as there are a considerable number of people who think lyoto is elusive, precise and enjoy seeing part of another martial are (some aspects of shotokan karate) besides just the muay thai/wrestling/bjj combination.

[quote]OneMoreRep wrote:
slimjim wrote:
either the lay n do nothing of Rashad’s early fights, or the dance and do nothing of Lyoto’s.

Yea some of Rashad’s early fights, but the KO of Chuck and the TKO of Forrest were boring? Even some older fights like the sean salmon highlight reel head kick were boring?

Oh yea Lyoto’s last second KO of Thiago was boring too? [/quote]

Wow, nice reading comprehension displayed here. Perhaps you missed this:

[quote]As a preface, I have to acknowledge that both fighters have stepped it up and started finishing fights in exciting and dominant fashion.

That said, I’ve disliked both since their beginnings in the UFC as boring - either the lay n do nothing of Rashad’s early fights, or the dance and do nothing of Lyoto’s.[/quote]

Fucking a, why is it that every time I make a statement that others don’t agree with I continually have to repeat my points because someone thinks they’ve somehow found a loophole in my argument.

I clearly stated that my distaste for each fighter was due to the way they fought in their early UFC bouts, obviously they’ve progressed from that - it’s fucking common sense given that ones a title holder and the other the next contender - but god damn, you guys act like you’ve never harbored distaste for a particular fighter and held on to it despite their success.

Do you have Fedor, Rashad, Anderson, GSP, and Bj as your favorite fighters as well? Wow, you are such a better fan of the sport than I. It’s so fucking fashionable to love the skill and elusiveness of Lyoto, you’re such technical fans.

[quote]OneMoreRep wrote:
Two other points; Both of their “boring” styles have been getting what’s most important…wins and “boring” is pretty subjective as there are a considerable number of people who think lyoto is elusive, precise and enjoy seeing part of another martial are (some aspects of shotokan karate) besides just the muay thai/wrestling/bjj combination.[/quote]

Go rewatch Sugar Rashad’s fights against Stephen Bonnar and Sam Hogar and then tell me who was pushing the fight and looking to finish. Here’s a hint, it wasn’t Rashad.

Then perhaps you might look up Lyoto’s fights against Vernon White, Sam Hoger, and David Heath. I challenge any of you to find entertainment in Lyoto vs Vernon.

first, I did miss your preface, so my bad on that. However I also mentioned the sean salmon fight which was very early 07. I just don’t understand why you hate them now, yea you can still hate someone despite their success but you hated them because they were boring, their style bored you, you admitted that that changed so i guess you can still carry on that hate but the reason seems to be gone. (Granted one fight for lyoto doesn’t erase what he’s done before but still.)

In just seems that you hate them because in your opinion they are boring, but that’s a subjective term so for you they may be boring for someone else they may not be. Some of their fights may be labeled by almost everyone as boring but there are still a lot of people who when their fights are taken in their totality find neither boring. But that’s opinion so you’re entitled to that.

Also, I think Rashad is improving and I would especially love to see the gameplan Gregg Jackson comes up for Lyoto. I think that he is an evil genius and if anyone can “figure out” Lyoto it’s him.

I also just respect them for putting together some great winning streaks in the UFC. You clearly do not which again, you don’t have to like everyone.

But ultimately
“I don’t give a damn about how beautiful you think his fights are to watch, I want to see him get knocked out.”

That is not much to argue against, if that’s what you want, then that’s what you want…

[quote]OneMoreRep wrote:
But ultimately
“I don’t give a damn about how beautiful you think his fights are to watch, I want to see him get knocked out.”

That is not much to argue against, if that’s what you want, then that’s what you want… [/quote]

Thank you, this is my opinion. I don’t expect to change anyone else’s, you’re all entitled to your own.

Sorry for getting all bitchy, I had a long day and it’s the internet where everything seems to get misconstrued or misinterpreted.

No worries

[quote]slimjim wrote:

But my prayers look to have been answered as they now line up to fight each other and one of them has to lose. Since God has been ignoring me up until now, I’m hoping for a double KO that leaves them both on their backs. Dare to dream I guess. [/quote]

Ah, but that would mean that it would be called a “no contest” and neither would technically lose. :wink:

man, some people get really bent out of shape on the internetz.

hopefully you have better days ahead.

wow.

shakes head