UFC 91 - Couture vs. Lesnar

I think this will either be a very good fight, with Randy using his clinch and boxing to own Brock for 3-4/5 rounds, or it will be a really boring fight with Brock humping Randy for 20+ minutes.

Any predictions/thoughts?

I have no idea how it will go, but i’m definitely rooting for Randy. Hopefully he doesn’t get demolished.

I have no idea what the outcome of the fight will be, but I think a few things will happen:

• Randy is going to be taken down. I don’t think there is any avoiding this. It’s just a matter of Brock actually doing something when he is on the ground. So far, he just seems like a bigger version of Mark Kerr, in that he can take you down, control you, and then do jack shit. At least that’s how he beat Heathcliff. And I know his camp has been blowing smoke up everyone’s ass but I’ll believe that Brock is suddenly a submission god when I see it. He pretty much gave Mir his leg and said “Here, please kneebar me.”

• Brock is going to get hit in the face. I think Randy is going to try and get inside and get some shots off, clinch, and then shrug him off and engage again to score points and break open Brock’s face. He might freak out and piss his pants if he has to fight covered in blood. New ground for him.

• Steve Mazzagati is not going to be the ref.

• The rest of the card is a complete snore fest. I guess KenFlo/Stevenson has some potential, Gonzo might kick someone in the head, Maia will probably choke Quarry, but other than that there is nothing I see that looks all the entertaining.

• Joe Rogan will say “wow”.

-Mike Goldberg will say a bunch of stupid shit.

This fight really could go either way. A big part of it will depend on how well Randy can defend Brock’s takedown attempts.

Like Analog said, Randy will likely get taken down at some point; it’s just a question of how many times it happens.

If Randy can get Brock to the ground, then I think it will be a long night for Lesnar. I also see Randy utilizing a lot of dirty boxing to try and he’ll try and test Brock’s chin.

I think Maia-Quarry should be a fun fight. I see Stevenson beating KenFlo as Florian won’t be able to stop Joe Daddy’s takedowns.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

• The rest of the card is a complete snore fest. I guess KenFlo/Stevenson has some potential, Gonzo might kick someone in the head, Maia will probably choke Quarry, but other than that there is nothing I see that looks all the entertaining.
    [/quote]

If Maia can get it to the ground he should be able to, but Quarry has pretty decent wrestling and is a hell of a lot better on his feet than Herman or McDonald are. I have a feeling Quarry is going to win this.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

-Mike Goldberg will say a bunch of stupid shit. [/quote]

That basically goes for all UFC cards. Funny as hell sometimes though. I think Mike Goldberd makes more stupid statements commenting then any other commentator I’ve ever heard.

Repeat of Barnett-Couture.

You guys forget that Couture left the HW division because he wasn’t strong enough.

In a snorefest, he beat a Tim Sylvia who needed back surgery, and Gabe Gonzaga, and suddenly everyone is, “Oh, never bet against The Natural.”

Mythmaking in action.

Fact: Couture is 16-8. He wasn’t strong enough for HW, so he dropped to LHW. He got KTFO twice as a LHW so he retired.

Lesnar is going to TKO Couture.

Do you really think Couture is going to keep a 285 pound NCAA champion on his back?

Doubt it. Highly.

Lesnar has the Midwestern/farm boy tough thing going for him. In addition to his actual training. A little bit of blood isn’t nothing he didn’t see growing up in Minnesota.

Living in Cali but having grown up elsewhere, I appreciate the toughness that working on a farm and going through long cold winters breeds.

No way he’s going to freak out over blood.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

You guys forget that Couture left the HW division because he wasn’t strong enough.

In a snorefest, he beat a Tim Sylvia who needed back surgery, and Gabe Gonzaga, and suddenly everyone is, “Oh, never bet against The Natural.”

Mythmaking in action.

Fact: Couture is 16-8. He wasn’t strong enough for HW, so he dropped to LHW. He got KTFO twice as a LHW so he retired.

Lesnar is going to TKO Couture.[/quote]

I completely agree with your analysis of Randy Couture. He is over rated. However, I do see this fight going to him. Brock Lesnar will take him down and control him, and Couture will have a lot of trouble dealing with it. However, at some point Couture will start ripping apart Lesnar’s with punches, kicks, and knees and win either by tko or submission.
Lesnar can’t end a fight and Randy is not going to just get humped for five rounds like Herring did. This is different from Barnett fight in that he could end a fight.

That’s how I see it.

Lesnar is def gonna win

Couture by decision. If Lesnar couldn’t put away Herring he won’t put away Randy.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

[/quote]

As long as Joe Rogan says someone “is for REEEAAL!”, I’ll be happy.

Brock by UD.

KenFlo/Stevenson could be a fun grappling match to watch. I think KenFlo will catch Joe with an elbow from his back and the fight will be stopped.

I have to agree with everything C-Law has said, I think Lesnar will win a UD. Without a high level submission skill set; a la Frank Mir or Nog, I don’t see many people having an answer for what Brock brings.

And even then, as his hones his game those easy catches like Mir got are going to dry up. I’d like to see him get hit in the face a little, but my gut instinct is that with a cranium like that he isn’t going to fold up.

depends on if “the Natural” pays a friendly visit to the supplement guru.

Has anyone seen him recently, the last time I saw him he did not look like he was getting ready to fight heavy weight and this is someone he definitely wants some size for .

I would sy the fight will depend more on Randy than Brock.

Not trying to say he is amazing, just that if Randy comes in small and weak he is gonna get hurt.

If it is a quick fight it will be lesnar, if it goes the distance Couture.

Djwlfpack wrote: If Randy can get Brock to the ground, then I think it will be a long night for Lesnar.

Do you really think Couture is going to keep a 285 pound NCAA champion on his back? [/quote]

No, but I think if we do see Couture getting any kind of takedown against Lesnar that will be a good sign for Randy. Lesnar has a quick fuse and can get easily frustrated, and a takedown or two by Couture could fuck with his mind a bit.

Mythmaking in action.

Lesnar is going to TKO Couture.[/quote]

Pretty much.

I hope the betting bookmakers are all following this Couture myth, maybe I can make some cash from it.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote: If Randy can get Brock to the ground, then I think it will be a long night for Lesnar.

Do you really think Couture is going to keep a 285 pound NCAA champion on his back?

No, but I think if we do see Couture getting any kind of takedown against Lesnar that will be a good sign for Randy. Lesnar has a quick fuse and can get easily frustrated, and a takedown or two by Couture could fuck with his mind a bit.[/quote]

you bring up a good point…the mental edge Couture has. If Couture can actually pose his will on Lesnar…can Lesnar keep his mental composure and will.

I wouldn’t say Lesnar has a quick fuse…but gets excitable. He won’t be able to ride it out against Couture…if that is a portion of their gameplan.

Still hard to call…Lesnar’s size plus his athleticism will be a huge problem for Couture…but Randy’s will and persistence always makes up for his shortcomings.

I saw an interview with Lesnar and he is not a very likeable guy at all. Randy is a much better personality. Its hard to cheer for a guy who is anti-social and a prick. He is a big boy though, and no doubt is getting better with each fight. As with any fight, I just hope it is exciting, regardless of the winner.

Lesnar’s punching power is awesome but his skill in that department is weak. Couture will easily bob and weave around Lesnar’s flat footed haymakers.

Once Lesnar gets frustrated he will resort to his wrestling and shoot in for the takedown. Randy will be ready and once pressed against the cage will spin Lesnar around and dirty box his face off and then trip him to the ground.

Pure wrestlers and not used to getting hit in the face and it will short circuit Brock’s brain making him panic and do something stupid.

I say Randy round 3 RNC or G & P from the side mount against the cage.