T Nation

UFC 89

I got Brandon Vera and Michael Bisping as my picks

[quote]Fluid wrote:
I got Brandon Vera and Michael Bisping as my picks[/quote]

Same.

I’m stoked to see Sokoudjou fight again and they had damn well better show the Gono fight.

Leben and Vera.

I don’t think Leben stands a chance. It might go to decision, but only because leben won’t get knocked out and he will continue to take a beating all three rounds.

Leben will beat Bisping. Vera will beat Jardine. I see both as decisions.

bisping win vai ko rd2
vera win via subb rd1

For those of you who think Bisping will win, how do yo usee it goign down? I mean that honestly, as I do believe Leben will win, but I wouldnt bet my life on it. I just see Leben as having better KO power and more aggressiveness.

If it goes 3 rounds I truly believe he’ll keep pushing the whole time, so I cant see leben losing by KO or decision, unless we get more BS like the hamill-bisping fight. The submission is really the only way i see him losing, but I dont even know htat bispings sub game is that much better. Or, if leben is just off and comes out injured, or just not looking like hte fighter he’s always been

Leben & Jardine

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
For those of you who think Bisping will win, how do yo usee it goign down? I mean that honestly, as I do believe Leben will win, but I wouldnt bet my life on it. I just see Leben as having better KO power and more aggressiveness.

If it goes 3 rounds I truly believe he’ll keep pushing the whole time, so I cant see leben losing by KO or decision, unless we get more BS like the hamill-bisping fight. The submission is really the only way i see him losing, but I dont even know htat bispings sub game is that much better. Or, if leben is just off and comes out injured, or just not looking like hte fighter he’s always been[/quote]

Eh, shows what i know…

I will say in my defense that Leben was the one who pushed the fight and did continue to do so throughout all 3 rounds, I just didnt count on Bisping’s countering. And if it’s possible, I lost even more respect for Bisping when he said that his “plan” was to come in and win a decision. I dont care if you’re not looking to KO or submit a guy, but it’s a fight, at least come in and just plan to beat him up, not out-point him

Vera and Jardine fight was extremely disappointing. I don’t know what the deal with Vera was. He was very comfortable and relaxed but thats it. He didn’t even attack. He just defended when he was attacked. Threw a few punches and kicks. It was weird.

Bisping and Leben were as expected for me. It went the distance. Leben took a beating throughout but did not get knocked out. Bisping did not even look like he had been hit.

Also I must say, Luiz Cane was extremely impressive. He was not even moved by Sokoudjou’s attacks and then just closed in and finished it. 205 division should watch out for him

The only Vera fight that will ever be interesting again will be from his wife!!

What the hell is his problem? He’s so damn gun shy now…and hell his ground skills are good…so whats the damn deal,Brandon??

Maybe cutting weight is too much for him?? Only thing that makes sense.

AND why the hell is nobody talking about Paul Taylor/Chris Lytle?? That was the fight of the night.

I did feel Taylor should of gotten the W. But that’s what happens when let UFC judges decide who wins.

[quote]Fluid wrote:
Also I must say, Luiz Cane was extremely impressive. He was not even moved by Sokoudjou’s attacks and then just closed in and finished it. 205 division should watch out for him[/quote]

Ditto. I could not believe the shots he was taking. Those body kicks looked brutal.

Soko looked good in the fist round but then kind of fell apart after that. He is a fucking giant 205 though.

Jardine/Vera was disappointing. Keith could have had him at the end of the second but missed about 8 punches in a row when Vera was trying to stand back up.

Rogan telling off the fans for booing was hilarious.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
The only Vera fight that will ever be interesting again will be from his wife!!

What the hell is his problem? He’s so damn gun shy now…and hell his ground skills are good…so whats the damn deal,Brandon??

Maybe cutting weight is too much for him?? Only thing that makes sense.[/quote]

I thought they said he didn’t have to cut. I recall them saying he was at 202 2 weeks out. Not positive.

I can’t stand to watch Vera fight lately. He has looked really bad. He should have his testosterone levels checked.

The bisbing fight was terrible. Leben was chasing him the whole fight. bisbing nas zero KO power and going to get schooled as he moves up. I don’t see how he gets past palhares, marquart, henderson, i wouldn’t mind seeing cote knock him out.

Luiz is definately a tough SOB but didn’t look all that great. He was basically a punching bag for most the fight.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
I can’t stand to watch Vera fight lately. He has looked really bad. He should have his testosterone levels checked.

The bisbing fight was terrible. Leben was chasing him the whole fight. bisbing nas zero KO power and going to get schooled as he moves up. I don’t see how he gets past palhares, marquart, henderson, i wouldn’t mind seeing cote knock him out.

Luiz is definately a tough SOB but didn’t look all that great. He was basically a punching bag for most the fight. [/quote]

Vera’s last outings have looked more like half awake sparring sessions. Dude doesn’t seem to have any drive anymore.

Bisbing’s attempted Machida impression was pathetic. Dude could have taken him down and finished Leben, but this new wave of fighters wanting to keep things standing to “be exciting” prevented this. Lame.

Cane was pretty durable, but dude needs to learn to block and move more. One of those body kicks correctly placed to the liver or cracking a rib and Cane wouldn’t have weathered the storm. Sokodju has some fucking genetic gifts, thats for fucking sure. I wish we would see more of his world class Judo though. Doesn’t seem to have translated to the cage as much as some other judokas.

[quote]BlackSabbath wrote:
dhickey wrote:

Luiz is definately a tough SOB but didn’t look all that great. He was basically a punching bag for most the fight.

Vera’s last outings have looked more like half awake sparring sessions. Dude doesn’t seem to have any drive anymore.

Bisbing’s attempted Machida impression was pathetic. Dude could have taken him down and finished Leben, but this new wave of fighters wanting to keep things standing to “be exciting” prevented this. Lame.

Cane was pretty durable, but dude needs to learn to block and move more. One of those body kicks correctly placed to the liver or cracking a rib and Cane wouldn’t have weathered the storm. Sokodju has some fucking genetic gifts, thats for fucking sure. I wish we would see more of his world class Judo though. Doesn’t seem to have translated to the cage as much as some other judokas. [/quote]

I doubt Bisping could have finished Leben on the ground. He never displays it, but he is competent in the ground game…not a world class black belt, but surprisingly knowledgeable and a strong sob.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
BlackSabbath wrote:
dhickey wrote:

Cane was pretty durable, but dude needs to learn to block and move more. One of those body kicks correctly placed to the liver or cracking a rib and Cane wouldn’t have weathered the storm. Sokodju has some fucking genetic gifts, thats for fucking sure. I wish we would see more of his world class Judo though. Doesn’t seem to have translated to the cage as much as some other judokas.

I doubt Bisping could have finished Leben on the ground. He never displays it, but he is competent in the ground game…not a world class black belt, but surprisingly knowledgeable and a strong sob.[/quote]

I absolutely agree with this. The only way for bisping to win was to play this sissy game of impersonating kalib starnes.

Agree with everything that has been said about Jardine v Vera. What a let down! Vera looked like he was waiting and waiting, do something man! Think analog_kid already mentioned it but, it was funny when Vera was getting back up at the end of the second and Jardine was trying to tee off at his head, which was about 6 inches away from him, and missed with every punch! That summed up the whole fight for me.

Cane was impressive. Hes a tough dude. He wasnt put off or intimidated by Sokoudjou. I would be, dude is scary! Sokoudjou didnt really seem to be in top condition though.

Taylor v Lytle was good but, I think over the 3 rounds Lytle deserved it.

I thought Leben started the fight brilliantly but, as soon as he started getting hit with a few shots he seemed to switch strategy, or drop his strategy altogether. The fight was downhill from there. He chased Bisping, leaving himself wide open. I guess he knew Bisping didnt have the power to knock him out. That pretty much gifted Bisping a points decision.

Anyone else notice how there was a “nut shot” in nearly every bout? Lot of stray kicks in Birmingham…