T Nation

UFC 87

I noticed the UFC 88 thread was a mix of 88 and UFC 87 talk, so figured let’s do 87 justice and give it its own thread.

I’m really excited to see GSP-Fitch. Fitch has worked damn hard to get to where he is today and it’s great to see the UFC rewarding him finally with a title shot.

I think GSP will win, but Fitch is going to make him earn it.

Florian-Huerta is being hyped up as a Fight of the Year candidate already. These 2 do have that potential; I just hope they can somewhat live up to the hype and deliver a solid fight.

Florian’s impressed me since his loss to Sherk. Huerta is always improving, but it will be interesting to see how he does with the long layoff. I’ll go with Florian.

Brock Lesnar-Heath Herring is intriguing. I want to see how Brock has developed his game since his loss to Mir. Herring’s better days might be behind him, but we thought that about Mir and it seems that guys who fight Brock come in with extra motivation. Guess no one wants to lose to a former pro wrestler.

I see Brock winning this one, and it will be quick.

I’ll add more on the other fights when I have time.

Enjoy!

As I mentioned in the other thread, I’m going with a GSP TKO early, first or second round. Fitch is a great fighter, but I don’t think he is quite at GSP’s level. Yet.

Huerta is my pick but the lay off has me a bit concerned as well. Should be a damn good fight.

If Heath can avoid take downs and make Brock chase him and get into the second and third rounds, I see him pulling out a sub. If Brock takes him down quick he will probably score a TKO. Unless Mazz is refing in which case he will stand them up and take a point away from Brock for being in the Octogan.

GSP is going to win by either KO or Decision, because he sure as hell isn’t going to make Fitch tap. This will help Fitch like the loss to Sherk helped KenFlo.

Huerta/Florian: Don’t have a clue. Right now I’m thinking a split decision that could go either way.

Brock by fatality, rd 1.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

Unless Mazz is refing in which case he will stand them up and take a point away from Brock for being in the Octogan. [/quote]

So true

Lesar in the first. He just needs to learn the game and he will be very good someday

I haven’t seen enough of HH to see him display any top level skills. It will take skills to beat Lesnar because he is a physical specimen. Lesnar by step over toe hold.

I am not so sure why Lesnar should dominate Heath Herring. It took Fedor ten minutes to stop Heath. I don’t see Lesnar subbing Heath and I don’t see him winning a striking battle. Also Heath isn’t a small guy, 6’4", 260, has more experience, seen worse gnp and is training at Xtreme Couture(which recent history shows you should not bet against). I think Lesnar should get the takedowns though.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Unless Mazz is refing in which case he will stand them up and take a point away from Brock for being in the Octogan. [/quote]

Good one. I got a chuckle out of that.

GSP - split decision
Florian - submission
Lesnar - stopage in the first or second. Even with GSP on the card, this is the one I am most wanting to see for some reason. This guy is a beast and really intrigues me. Too strong and too fast for his size. If the guys at MN MMA are doing their job, this guy is going to be a force.

All I’ve got to say is, watch for me on tv. Oh yeah I’m goin.

Well i’m glad people here agree that gsp-fitch will be a good fight.
Half the idiots at sherdog think gsp’s gonna walk through him

Herring is just goin to make the fight a repeat of mir - lesnar

Herring by Sub - round 2

[quote]skaklight wrote:
All I’ve got to say is, watch for me on tv. Oh yeah I’m goin.[/quote]

Nice. Where are your seats?

I was lucky enough to sit Octagon-side when UFC came to CO back in April. It’s an awesome experience.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
skaklight wrote:
All I’ve got to say is, watch for me on tv. Oh yeah I’m goin.

Nice. Where are your seats?

I was lucky enough to sit Octagon-side when UFC came to CO back in April. It’s an awesome experience.[/quote]

Unfortunately nowhere near ring-side. My whole bachelor party is going so we had to buy “affordable” tickets. If you call $150/ticket affordable.

I hope my experience is as good as yours was. I’m sure all of the boos before hand will help.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
As I mentioned in the other thread, I’m going with a GSP TKO early, first or second round. Fitch is a great fighter, but I don’t think he is quite at GSP’s level. Yet.

Huerta is my pick but the lay off has me a bit concerned as well. Should be a damn good fight.

If Heath can avoid take downs and make Brock chase him and get into the second and third rounds, I see him pulling out a sub. If Brock takes him down quick he will probably score a TKO. Unless Mazz is refing in which case he will stand them up and take a point away from Brock for being in the Octogan. [/quote]

it is very obvious that you havent seen fitch fight.

Why is that? Does anyone think that Fitch is on GSP’s level?

[quote]Quinnthology wrote:
Why is that? Does anyone think that Fitch is on GSP’s level?[/quote]

in a word: yes

he’s very underrated

He’s not on GSP’s level come on a split decision against Diego when Diego was in a slump I’m not impressed.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

If Heath can avoid take downs and make Brock chase him and get into the second and third rounds, I see him pulling out a sub. If Brock takes him down quick he will probably score a TKO. Unless Mazz is refing in which case he will stand them up and take a point away from Brock for being in the Octogan.

it is very obvious that you havent seen fitch fight. [/quote]

What makes you say that?

Fuck all this talk. Its the same with every big fight, a recent example being Silva vs. Irvin. I like Fitch, and i root for him, but in this case GSP is going to downright smash him.

PC

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

it is very obvious that you havent seen fitch fight.

What makes you say that?
[/quote]

because of how grossly you undermine fitch’s abilities.

[quote]Quinnthology wrote:
Why is that? Does anyone think that Fitch is on GSP’s level?[/quote]

I don’t think he is, but he’s proven he’s durable and well rounded. He lacks the “star” qualities of other fighters so a lot of people don’t give him much thought. Having said that though, I don’t think he goes pass the 3rd round with GSP.

Herring vs. Lesnar:

I agree that Brock Lesnar has all the talents to become great in MMA, but I’m not sure if his time is here yet, many aspects of his game still to be tested.

Heath Herring has a lot of experience behind him and has fought the best. I’m not sure about this one, Lesnar will win if he connects some powerful punches or through his G n’ P, but otherwise I think Herring can pull off a submission or a decision.

Huerta vs. Florian:

Simply put, WAR HUERTA!
He’s one of my favorite fighters, he’s got a big heart, even bigger balls and he’s my compatriot. I truly believe he has all the tools to beat Florian granted he’s been working on his takedown defense. Huerta by UD.

All in all, this is going to be a great card!!