UFC 84 Salaries

http://octagon.freeforums.org/portal.php?article=0
Looks like Keith Jardine is way underpaid.

Wow. Sean Sherk too.

[quote]balljack8 wrote:
http://octagon.freeforums.org/portal.php?article=0
Looks like Keith Jardine is way underpaid.[/quote]

Do people make the same posts on Sherdog and then on here??

Fighters are paid what they negotiate for…

They all have a chance at FOTN bonus’s as well, plus they have sponsorships etc etc.

For 10 grand I would happily get pummelled for thirty secs by Wandy

You see very few fighters complaining about wages because they know what they would make fighting Kimbo in somebodies back garden show

Kimbo has won a couple of fights and he is guaranteed 6 figures a fight. Jardine has beaten Chuck Liddel and he made 10,000 dollars!

I know everyone says its ok, and I believe that the compensation will rise. But the UFC keeps setting records for PPV buys. If they are making 200 million on PPV and are only paying 1 million to fighters, Isn’t something wrong with that?

The NFL gives almost 60% to players (I think thats too high) but you see what I am saying. Tyson was making 20 Mill a fight back in the 80’s.

The fighters for so long were stuck in a situation where the organization had all the power. Yet, now with all the different leagues and the world wide appeal, the fighters could band together and force better pay. You think if Rampage were a free tomorrow, WEC and Elite XC and all the other organizations wouldn’t be throwing money to bring his game to their league.

250,000 dollars for the top fighters is nothing to scoff at. I would love to make that much and fight 4 times a year.

Yet, in those 4 fights, Im just as likely to help earn 800 Mill in PPV sales. Thats 1 mill to 800 mill and I am the person they are watching.

People seem to miss this part:

“Any undisclosed bonuses that a promoter also pays its fighters, but does not disclose to the athletic commissions (specifically, pay-per-view bonuses, fight of the night bonuses, etc.), are not included in the figures below.”

I’d guess that Jardine has a “promotional contract” with Zuffa as well.

The purse presented is only the amounts Zuffa has to pass through the athletic commission.

[quote]woohitter wrote:
Kimbo has won a couple of fights and he is guaranteed 6 figures a fight. Jardine has beaten Chuck Liddel and he made 10,000 dollars!

I know everyone says its ok, and I believe that the compensation will rise. But the UFC keeps setting records for PPV buys. If they are making 200 million on PPV and are only paying 1 million to fighters, Isn’t something wrong with that?

The NFL gives almost 60% to players (I think thats too high) but you see what I am saying. Tyson was making 20 Mill a fight back in the 80’s.

The fighters for so long were stuck in a situation where the organization had all the power. Yet, now with all the different leagues and the world wide appeal, the fighters could band together and force better pay. You think if Rampage were a free tomorrow, WEC and Elite XC and all the other organizations wouldn’t be throwing money to bring his game to their league.

250,000 dollars for the top fighters is nothing to scoff at. I would love to make that much and fight 4 times a year.

Yet, in those 4 fights, Im just as likely to help earn 800 Mill in PPV sales. Thats 1 mill to 800 mill and I am the person they are watching.[/quote]

Jesus titty fucking Christ, it is the year 2008, over 100 UFC events, and people still can’t this shit through their skulls. $200 million on a PPV? Are you fucking insane? That about the REVENUE the UFC brings in every year. Revenue does not equal profit. The UFC averages, by most counts, somewhere around 500,000 PPV buys a card. Prices vary between HD or regular cast, so we will say HD buys are 50% of the total which gives us $20 million average a PPV. Half of that immediately goes to the PPV providers. That leaves you with $10 million, which has to be divided up between the the UFC’s production costs (which are all in house, unlike other sports), the salaries of everyone at Zuffa, the fighter contracts, the commission and regulation fees, and they pay for all travel, food, and medical expenses for the fighters coming to the card to fight. They are probably about breking even. Then they get other money, though it is much less significant than the PPV income, in the form of ticket sales and sponsorships.

Also, as Ruggerlife said, the official salary is just the money they are required to put up front to the athletic comission as gauranteed income, NSAC or whoever the comission is receives this money in advance and doles it out to the fighters.

[quote]mt006 wrote:

They all have a chance at FOTN bonus’s as well, plus they have sponsorships etc etc.

For 10 grand I would happily get pummelled for thirty secs by Wandy[/quote]

Typical moron from Sherdog. There’s a reason I can’t read yet alone post at those sites.

You don’t get paid for 30 seconds. You get paid for months leading to the fight - and the years before that in “research and development.”

Oh, and a concussion is a very bad thing.

These are not complicated concepts. Go back to Sherdog and leave people with IQs over 100 alone over here.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
stuff[/quote]

But you’re too far on the other end.

The UFC gets money for the commercials they do during PPVs. They get sponsorship money (all of those adds in the cage).

The UFC is far from barely “breaking even.”

The dude who you responded to was Tito Ortiz. You’re being Dana White.

The truth is in the middle. Lots of guys are making lots of money. No need to shed any tears for any of the people involved.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
stuff

But you’re too far on the other end.

The UFC gets money for the commercials they do during PPVs. They get sponsorship money (all of those adds in the cage).

The UFC is far from barely “breaking even.”

The dude who you responded to was Tito Ortiz. You’re being Dana White.

The truth is in the middle. Lots of guys are making lots of money. No need to shed any tears for any of the people involved.[/quote]

Unless you explain the other end to people they will have no hope of reaching the middle ground. Dozens of promotions have come and gone during the UFC’s reign, with the IFL soon to fall and if EliteXC’s big gamble on buying a CBS time slot doesn’t do well they too will fail. Whatever the UFC is doing I hope they keep it up for continuity’s sake in the sport. And, as I said, they break even on the PPV revenue and buy their mansions with the sponsorship money.

[quote]mt006 wrote:

For 10 grand I would happily get pummelled for thirty secs by Wandy

You see very few fighters complaining about wages because they know what they would make fighting Kimbo in somebodies back garden show
[/quote]

No i don`t post on sherdog.

Considering that he beat Chuck Liddel and has always made his fights entertaining plus the fact that he has longer history with UFC than lot of fighters that were paid X times more than he was 10 grands(if that`s all he gets) is ridiculous.

And that 10 grand would never pay the life time damages done to you in 30 seconds by Wanderlei if that would ever be possible for you to step in the octagon with him.

The “regulars” who post here aren’t morons. We know what’s up!

There are a couple of dumb asses (one in this very thread) but that’s nothing like those other sites. So who cares if they are too stupid to get the middle ground? Just mock them. :wink:

Every time a UFC payday comes out, everyone starts debating fighter pay. Like it hasn’t been discussed before?

“It ain’t fair!”

“But they signed the contract!”

Over and over again.

Everyone here who knows or trains someone in the UFC knows those numbers are bunk. Which means all the people talking about “low pay” are just speculating. So their opinions are worthless. No need to try persuading them. They just don’t get it.

[quote]
Everyone here who knows or trains someone in the UFC knows those numbers are bunk. [/quote]

So that leaves 99,99% of us here who don`t do that speculating on something we know shit about.
Come to think of it not even the fighters seem to know how much they are paid.

[quote]balljack8 wrote:So that leaves 99,99% of us here who don`t do that speculating on something we know shit about.
Come to think of it not even the fighters seem to know how much they are paid.[/quote]

There’s no need to speculate, and quite frankly, it’s none of your business how much fighters make.

That has always been Dana White’s point. He and fighters don’t think you or 99.99% of people are entitled to know how much money they bring home. So they come up with some numbers so as to comply with athletic commission regulations.

But they leave people who (like you) really have no reason to stick their big noses under the tent, in the dark.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
But they leave people who (like you) really have no reason to stick their big noses under the tent, in the dark.[/quote]

And just as importantly, all of their competitors. They are left taking the fighters managers word for how much they actually made when it comes down to forming something up.

The top tier guys make a lot. More than many of us think they do right now, between sponsorships, gym-chains they’ve opened, their regular UFC salary, and bonuses, they’re all doing very well - a few are millionaires, and many are well on their way at this point.

Jardine will clear six figures this year…though I think I’d want more than 10g’s to get in the ring with Wanderlei Silva at this point

Nah, trust me, when any employment contract is signed with a compensation guarantee the new employer/organization (or at least one that has any clue what it’s doing) asks for documentation illustrating the person’s historical compensation, for exactly that reason – they don’t want to be lied to and end up getting duped into writing someone a stupidly lucrative contract.

The fighter would have to show the new organization either a summary compensation statement which some employers give them at year-end, or else copies of the checks deposited in their bank accounts, or their bank statements showing the same (or sometimes W-2’s if the other examples aren’t available).

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
But they leave people who (like you) really have no reason to stick their big noses under the tent, in the dark.

And just as importantly, all of their competitors. They are left taking the fighters managers word for how much they actually made when it comes down to forming something up.[/quote]

[quote]woohitter wrote:

Yet, in those 4 fights, Im just as likely to help earn 800 Mill in PPV sales. Thats 1 mill to 800 mill and I am the person they are watching.[/quote]

Your #'s are way off.

First of all Tyson was getting raped for his entire checks by Don King.

The NFL does not give 60% to players. Each team gets a share of the millions upon million from television contracts. Not to mention merchandising, licensing, etc. And not to mention stadium revenue.

Finally, there is no fucking way they are making 200 million PPV. Maybe 200 million A YEAR at best. The all-time record for PPV event is De Lahoya vs. Mayweather for 2.15 million PPV buys and $120 million PPV take for the fight. Before that it stood for like 10 years and was Tyson vs. Lewis with $112 million and Tyson vs Holyfield with 1.99 million PPV buys.

I over estimated the pay per view event revenue. It isnt as outrageous as I believed but look at the numbers and tell me its ok.

600,000 PPV buys per event (UFC 81 was 650,000 buys) = $27,000,000

$27,000,000 X 12 events per year = $324,000,000

Gate sales were recently $2,000,000
thats $24,000,000 for 12 events.

Thats $348,000,000 dollars a year in gross revenue.

Gross pay as we know is roughly 1,000,000 an event. Thats 12,000,000

That leaves $336,000,000. Before advertising profits, UFC merchandise, etc.

Now I might have over exagerated 800,000,000. Yet you are grossly over estimating price to conduct these events.

You said it yourself they the produce there own event. The costs you show for paying the PPV broadcaster is MUCH smaller when you film and regulate your own stuff.

You attack me because your angry about what I say but I laid it out. they probably will be profiting over $200,000,000 from UFC 81 till UFC 93 (thats saying its costs $136,000,000 to hold 12 which is over 11 million an event not counting salaries, we already took that out.

The fighters may be getting more, but there is a reason all the guys are pissed that Kimbo is getting 6 figures a fight, if they were making the millions you talk about no one would care.

Me sticking my nose into a Business is fine, I love UFC its great. I want it to continue and this is something that WILL be changed eventually. Yet salaries keep being a big debate because The salary system is still way out of wack. (Couture wants Fedor but he also wants more money to keep fighting.)

Be mad, rant and rave about me and my idiocy. Call me names and say what you will, you are on one side of the argument and You don’t want to hear anything else, and that’s fine, its a forumn; there wouldn’t be discussion if there wasn’t two sides.

Have a good one.

“The NFL earns very substantial revenues. But the clubs are obligated by the CBA to spend substantially more than half their revenues �?? almost $4.5 billion this year alone – on player costs”

4.5 Billion dollars in a year and more then half the REVENUE.

But Hey I decided to actually look around some to find things out. I am wrong on one thing. The Elite are getting nice money. I believe though it is only the head lining fight that gets this much.

http://www.mmapayout.com/2007/10/ufc-pay-per-view-bonus-scale-goes.html

BUT

"De La Hoya and Mayweather alone combined to take home $73 million for 44.2% of the gross revenue generated. However, it should be noted that De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions was also the promoter of the event.

For the sake of comparison, in a testament to the power of collective bargaining, the percentage share of gross revenue player’s receive in other major sports: 59% in the NFL, 57% in the NBA, 55.6% in the NHL, and 53% in MLB.

Ortiz has indicated that he believes that 30-40% of gross revenues for fighters would be fair.

Right now they have only averaged 8.8%