UFC 83 Countdown

Well…

Think im in right to start the thread as im from Montreal. Cant wait, 8 days left.
Well i have to tell you in Montreal its freaking Hockey(Habs mania) right now so im afraid ufc83 wont have much coverage in the local news but arounf the world it will for sure!!

Well of course im choosing GSP TO WIN, i would say 2nd round referee stoppage,ground and pound!!

But hey never know…lightning might hit twice at the same place and Serra is a good fighter to…

So discuss and have fun!!

WAR GSP!

That aside…if you look at GSP’s performances after losing, he comes back more intense and a level above what he used to be…GSP’s still a young guy, I’m sure getting the belt so relatively easily at his age messed with his head last time and he underestimated Serra. I’m pretty sure he’s not going to make the same mistake twice, and the belt will be back where it belongs.

Not to sound like a fanboy, but GSP’s got the advantage everywhere except BJJ, and even then his defense is top notch…I mean, he came to a decision with BJ Penn, so I don’t think Serra will be a problem. Only way I see Serra winning is by way of fluke KO again…and then I will proceed to bury my face into the GSP t-shirt I will be wearing and cry.

Jin,

You have to change your avatar. I wanted to read what’s in this thread, but that avatar is too damn distracting. I wasn’t able to read a single word. And my keyboard is getting messed up from the drool and other fluids.

I nominate: BEST. AVATAR. EVER.

I second that, I was going to reply 10 mins ago but I after seeing that avatar I cant for the life of me rember what I wanted to say.

Hate to say this… ditto.

and I love mma

[quote]Jin wrote:
WAR GSP!

That aside…if you look at GSP’s performances after losing, he comes back more intense and a level above what he used to be…GSP’s still a young guy, I’m sure getting the belt so relatively easily at his age messed with his head last time and he underestimated Serra. I’m pretty sure he’s not going to make the same mistake twice, and the belt will be back where it belongs.

Not to sound like a fanboy, but GSP’s got the advantage everywhere except BJJ, and even then his defense is top notch…I mean, he came to a decision with BJ Penn, so I don’t think Serra will be a problem. Only way I see Serra winning is by way of fluke KO again…and then I will proceed to bury my face into the GSP t-shirt I will be wearing and cry.[/quote]

BJ Penn fucked him up, I thought it was a BS decision. GSP won the battle but lost the war. That reminds me, that was a damn good fight, I’ve go to dl it and watch it again.

Oh, and I agree with the avatar comments. Nice one.

I’m really interested in seeing Serra vs. GSP, but apart from the main event that card looks TOtally uninteresting to me. I mean, completely and totally uninteresting. Could some of them turn out to be good fights? Sure. Are they fights that I’m remotely interested in seeing? Not in the least.

The UFC occasionally puts on a great card, but about 80% of them are almost a total waste of time, IMO. Which I JUST DON’T FUCKING GET. They’ve got SO much talent in the organization now, they could put on MUCH better, deeper cards EVERY single time, yet they don’t. And a lot of their top guys end up fighting just one to two times per year!! What a waste of top talent!

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
BJ Penn fucked him up, I thought it was a BS decision. GSP won the battle but lost the war. That reminds me, that was a damn good fight, I’ve go to dl it and watch it again.

Oh, and I agree with the avatar comments. Nice one.[/quote]

I agree with you, I think something’s wrong when the winner takes a trip to the hospital and the loser looks unscathed…but I’m just saying GSP hung in there for 3 rounds against a guy who’s better than Serra in every aspect, especially BJJ, and never got submitted…so I don’t think Serra’s a threat in that regard.

Oh, and everyone seems to love the avatar…it’s a damn shame I don’t know where it’s from, the full version would be EPIC.

GSP for the win, but I’m expecting a serious war with Serra. The rest of the card I couldn’t give a shit about.

WAR Serra!

Long Island homegrown, baby. The rest of the card is awesome, btw, even the undercard.

-dizzle

I pray GSP doesn’t cave to the pressure.

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:
I pray GSP doesn’t cave to the pressure.[/quote]

Bubbles! TPB rule.

[quote]Jin wrote:
Sonny S wrote:

Oh, and I agree with the avatar comments. Nice one.

I agree with you, I think something’s wrong when the winner takes a trip to the hospital and the loser looks unscathed…but I’m just saying GSP hung in there for 3 rounds against a guy who’s better than Serra in every aspect, especially BJJ, and never got submitted…so I don’t think Serra’s a threat in that regard.

Oh, and everyone seems to love the avatar…it’s a damn shame I don’t know where it’s from, the full version would be EPIC.[/quote]

BJ definitely dominated the first round of that fight, no question about that. But, GSP wised up and realized that he wasn’t going to beat BJ on their feet. So, he changed his tactics and used his wrestling skills to beat BJ on points, aggression and superior conditioning.

Yes, we all love seeing KO’s and submissions, and it would have been great if that fight ended in one of those two ways. But, GSP still fought a smart fight in that case and won via points (which albeit is a less exciting, yet still valid method of winning in MMA).

As far as the upcoming fight, I expect GSP to win (don’t think he’ll underestimate Serra again, and after watching him dismantle Hughes I think he’s better than he’s ever been before), but it would be stupid to think that Serra couldn’t pull off the upset again.

There is also the issue of whether or not Serra has truly full recovered from his injury. If he’s even slightly less on than his potential I see him getting mauled.

GSP appears on a mission to get his title back. The way he dominated Hughes was mind-boggling. I know some people don’t like Hughes’ attitude, but the fact is the guy was one of the most dominant fighters of his time and GSP made him look like a scrub and tapped him in less than 2 rounds.

I think the long layoff – one year – hurts Serra here. GSP has had 2 fights since his loss to Serra, while Serra hasn’t fought once. The back injury is also a question mark for me. With herniated discs, you never know when they are going to flare up, so that could be in the back of his mind when he enters the fight.

Serra’s standup has definitely improved and he has great BJJ, but GSP’s overall game is too strong and I think he takes out Serra in the 3rd round.

I’m also interested in seeing the Lutter-Franklin fight. I want to see if Rich has anything left after another loss to Anderson Silva. Lutter is a tough dude, though and could easily win the fight. He gave Anderson some trouble in their first fight and I wouldn’t mind seeing a rematch between the two at some point.

I have been waiting for this fight ever since he lost to him. He has been on a mission since then. We are having a big party at my house this weekend for the fight. I hope GSP dominates the fight.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:

I’m also interested in seeing the Lutter-Franklin fight. I want to see if Rich has anything left after another loss to Anderson Silva. Lutter is a tough dude, though and could easily win the fight. He gave Anderson some trouble in their first fight and I wouldn’t mind seeing a rematch between the two at some point.[/quote]

Yeah, Lutter definitely gave Anderson the biggest run for his money of anyone since Silva took the title. Had Lutter not been extremely dehydrated and as a result been able to push the pace, I think he would have had a good chance of winning that fight. Heck, he had a decent chance even being in his weakened condition.

I honestly think that Silva will win if they fight again, as he seems to continue to get better. But Lutter does have a style that could give Silva some problems.

I almost shit my pants when Serra won the first fight, if it happens again I’m afraid what involuntary bodily function will follow. GSP should not, and will not, lose this fight.

[quote]kligor wrote:
Jin,

You have to change your avatar. I wanted to read what’s in this thread, but that avatar is too damn distracting. I wasn’t able to read a single word. And my keyboard is getting messed up from the drool and other fluids.

I nominate: BEST. AVATAR. EVER.[/quote]

Ya!! What he said.

On a another note even if its not the place maybe…

My jobs allowed me to see lots of stars…
Well,

Last night i saw Michael Bisping, today Rich Franklin and Travis Lutter(within the same hour same place)…

I can say that Bisping and Franklin were very nice with me…Just for this they both one a fan for friday!!!

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I almost shit my pants when Serra won the first fight, if it happens again I’m afraid what involuntary bodily function will follow. GSP should not, and will not, lose this fight.[/quote]

I don’t know. I took Serra in a little friendly betting. Lutter as well.

My thoughts are that GSP is either going to come out and make Serra look like he’s never fought before or Serra is going to give him some trouble standing and may find an opportunity on the ground.

Does anyone else think Franklin is basically in a do or die situation?