T Nation

UFC 76: Knockout

Who's going to be watching tomorrow? I will be, as I'm very excited to see the UFC debut of Shogun.

Here's my predictions:

Chuck Liddell vs. Keith Jardine
Jardine's a tailor-made fighter for Liddell to KO. Jardine likes to come straight at his opponents, while Liddell likes to circle, look for angles and counter punch when the opponent moves into position. Both guys are coming off of KO losses and there's always a question of how guys will bounce back after being KO'd. My feeling is that Liddell shows no ill-effects from the Rampage loss and blows through Jardine.

Prediction: Liddell by 1st round KO.

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Forrest Griffin
New fans of MMA likely haven't seen much of "Shogun" and that's a shame, because this guy is a stud. He can do it all. It's great to see him in the UFC. Forrest Griffin is certainly no pushover, as evident by his close loss to Tito Ortiz. But he did lose to Jardine and wasn't overly impressive against Hector Ramirez. Griffin will put up a good fight, but he's not on the level of "Shogun".

Prediction: "Shogun" by second round TKO.

Diego Sanchez vs. Jon Fitch
Sanchez suffered his first loss as a professional at the hands of rival Josh Koscheck. There were reports Sanchez had a staph infection going into the fight, which may explain why he wasn't his usual self that night. He's also left Greg Jackson's camp, so it'll be interesting to see how that affects him. Fitch is on a 13-fight win streak and he's also from AKA, the same camp as Koscheck, so you know he's been getting pointers on how to neutralize Sanchez. This could be the fight of the night if both bring their A game.

Prediction: Sanchez by unanimous decision.

Ryoto Machida vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura
Prediction: Machida by unanimous decision.

Jeremy Stephens vs. Diego Saraiva
Prediction: Stephens by 2nd round submission.

Scott Junk vs. Christian Wellisch
Prediction: Wellisch by 1st round TKO.

Matt Wiman vs. Michihiro Omigawa
Prediction: Wiman by 1st round TKO.

No Thiago Tavares vs. Tyson Griffin prediction? Or did that bout get wiped off the card and ufc.com didn't update?

This is the first PPV card in while that I'm buying. I'm really looking forward to it.

Quick and dirty predictions:

Liddel by sodomizing

Same for Shogun (although I'd love for Forrest to make it a fight)

Fitch by UD. Probably won't happen, but I'm a Fitch fan and completely biased.

I'll be watching.

Pretty much agree with what you wrote although I just got done watching Griffin's all access over lunch and have to say I am pretty impressed. However, the likelyhood of him getting past Shogun is slim. Should be entertaining.

Jardine doesn't stand a chance against Liddell. The orangutan technique will be his downfall. TKO first round.

On the Sanchez fight I am going with Fitch. Just a gut feeling.

Yeah, I agree with most except for the Fitch-Sanchez fight.

I would like to see Fitch pull this one out. I think he has the tools to do so.

For some reason, I don't find this card all that interesting. I put it with the Franklin-Okami card (the one I didn't even watch).

It's still on, I forgot to add it. I'll go with Griffin by decision.

I agree with all, but I think(or at least want) Fitch will beat Sanchez. Jardine v Liddell is a joke basically record padding for Liddell. Shogun will beat Forrest easily, I don't think it will go out of the first round.

I think Liddel is easy an pick over Jardine. Chuck loves fighting and won't let another past, especially not to someone of Jardine's ability. The only way I can see Jardine executing a plan that might win is staying back and using low kicks, but he will caught, it's just a matter of time IMO. Chuck KO 1.

Forrest is gigantic and hard to finish, but Shogun should win this. I tend to think the fight will go later rather than earlier, Forrest is tough to finish, Shogun might have UFC jitters to work out early. I'll take Shogun by late 2nd round Gnp stoppage.

Diego is a very mental fighter, and he's had a lot of personal shit going on after the Koscheck fight that will mess with his head I think. Fitch can do pretty much everything better than Diego except the submission game, and even there I think Fitch is good enough to survive what Diego throws at him. Fitch UD.

Machida is the most underrated LHW in the world because of his boring style. The guy is an absolute nightmare for the UFC, he's a stand-up fighting Matt Lindland. I seriously believe he can decision almost every other 205 pound fighter. Nakamura won't be an exception. It's a shame Kaz Nak leaves his position as Pride's whipping boy to become the UFC's. Lyoto UD.

I'll also take:

Tyson Griffin UD (this could be fight of the night, as usual for Griffin).

Sariva UD.

Wellisch 2nd Round TKO.

Wiman TKO Round 1.

True about Shogun/Griffin. But Shogun is just so much better than Forest.

I agree with the original poster on all matters, save diego...Fitch will kill this guy....he's done.

Fitch is a bad mother fucker, and Diego will see what a real nightmare is now...

I see Forest pulling out a surprise victory. I hope Diego Gets knocked out.

-Keith is going to get KTFO.

-I don't have a definite prediction for the Diego/Fitch fight because I'm just looking forward to a good brawl, but I kind of have a gut feeling that Fitch will pull this one out, probably by TKO.

On second thought: Fitch by TKO in 2.

-Forrest/Shogun seems like a great matchup. Shogun obviously with more skill and experience, but Forrest has that incredible never-say-die attitude that I love, and he's one of my favorite fighters because of it. Both fighters play well into eachother's strengths in that they both like to dig their heels into the mat and brawl. I see this one being a war, and I can't wait to watch it. My prediction is Forrest by decision because Shogun looks like a weirdo with his hair grown out.

Only 2 more hours sea people...

He shaved it, thus locking in victory.

Did he miss a spot?

Forrest looked awesome. The LHW division is completely fucked. I don't even know how to do a ranking after tonight.

Great, great fights. Griffin/Tavares and Fitch/Sanchez are both FOTY candidates.

Wow! Another night of upsets. It appeared very early in the fight that Forrest was just too big and strong for Shogun. He was able to stuff a number of his takedown attempts and control him in his guard (except for the elbows that cut him open). It seems as though his size and great conditioning really wore Shogun down as well.

In the main event, Jardine picked Liddell apart. Chuck had a few moments in the first few minutes of the first round where it appeared that he stunned Jardine, but Keith really outscored him for most of the fight. Chuck appears as though he has lost a step and some reflexes.

I really feared that Diego would sneak out a decision, but I think that the judges got it right in rewarding Fitch with the split decision.

Overall, it was a fantastic card tonight.

Seriously, who does Jackson fight next? Griffin just beat Shogun, but has a loss to Jardine, who just beat Liddell. Then you throw Wanderlei in the mix and man, it gets all kinds of crazy. Maybe the winner of Rashad-Tito II (if they fight soon)? I really have no clue.

Fitch/Sanchez was razor-close. I thought Fitch won but could see people giving it to Sanchez. Great fight.

Griffin's win could be upset of the year. I think it's a bigger upset than Serra-GSP. Great showing by him.

A great PPV. UFC is on a roll right now.

Story of the year has to be the fact that a lot of the top-level PRIDE guys are losing the UFC guys, despite being heavily favored.

Chuck losing gives me the same feeling I had when I found out Santa Claus wasn't real.

I have never seen anyone control Sanchez the way Fitch did. Fitch was very impressive. I was also impressed with Sanchez's post fight comments. He is growing up and earning more respect.

Shogun didn't even show up for that fight. When he walked up, we commented on how he looked "flat". His performance was less than impressive and Forrest dominated.

Wow, is all I can say for Jardine. Again, the heavily fighter failed to live up to their expectations. 2007 has been a very active year for MMA. Jardine had a good game plan coming into the fight and implemented it. I think he took a page out of Rampage's book on this one.

I'll agree with Donut62. I can't even begin to rank the LHW division right now. I also agree when an above poster said "who's next for Jackson?"

leg kicks are no joke when used right....great card and deserving wins.

its cute when girls try to chime in with the guys and act like they know what they're talking about.