UFC 73: Stacked

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
AdamC wrote:

I don’t agree with you on the points about Lutter. He never used weight loss as an excuse, everyone else did. He said he didn;t want to use that as an excuse.

Also, Silva was not toying with him. You don’t let someone pass and mount you. Silva was in a bit of trouble there. He is outstanding on his feet, and his submission game is solid. But he has been beaten a number of times but I hope it doesn’t happen.[/quote]

I agree, the fact is Silva let a Fireman mount him. The day he fights someone who is totally competent on the ground is the day that he loses.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
apwsearch wrote:
AdamC wrote:

I don’t agree with you on the points about Lutter. He never used weight loss as an excuse, everyone else did. He said he didn;t want to use that as an excuse.

Also, Silva was not toying with him. You don’t let someone pass and mount you. Silva was in a bit of trouble there. He is outstanding on his feet, and his submission game is solid. But he has been beaten a number of times but I hope it doesn’t happen.

I agree, the fact is Silva let a Fireman mount him. The day he fights someone who is totally competent on the ground is the day that he loses.

[/quote]

Like Carlos Newton or Jeremy Horn? Both battered by Anderson Silva.

Anderson Silva v (A MUCH skinnier) Yushin Okami

[quote]AdamC wrote:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/anderson+silva/video/xrffr_rotr-anderson-silva-vs-yushin-okami/1 [/quote]

That was one of the coolest KO’s I’ve ever seen

[quote]SKman wrote:
AdamC wrote:

That was one of the coolest KO’s I’ve ever seen[/quote]

Haha that was actually a DQ. In that particular event, that move was illegal (although it is legal in the UFC).

[quote]AdamC wrote:

Haha that was actually a DQ. In that particular event, that move was illegal (although it is legal in the UFC).[/quote]

Nope.

Upkicking to the head of a guy whose knees are on the ground is also illegal in the UFC. It is one of the many tweaks that need to be made to the unified rules.

I fully understand banning Pride-style soccer kicks to the head of a guy lying on the ground, but banning upkicks is just silly. Unfortunately, the unified rules use ‘knees down’ as the litmus test for whether an opponent is down, so any kind of head kick to a guy on his knees is illegal. I’d love to see them tweak the definition of a ‘downed opponent’ to be based on whether any portion of his torso is in contact with the mat.

There is no reason you shouldn’t be able to attack the head of a guy who is maintaining a vertical position.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
AdamC wrote:

Haha that was actually a DQ. In that particular event, that move was illegal (although it is legal in the UFC).

Nope.

Upkicking to the head of a guy whose knees are on the ground is also illegal in the UFC. It is one of the many tweaks that need to be made to the unified rules.

I fully understand banning Pride-style soccer kicks to the head of a guy lying on the ground, but banning upkicks is just silly. Unfortunately, the unified rules use ‘knees down’ as the litmus test for whether an opponent is down, so any kind of head kick to a guy on his knees is illegal. I’d love to see them tweak the definition of a ‘downed opponent’ to be based on whether any portion of his torso is in contact with the mat.

There is no reason you shouldn’t be able to attack the head of a guy who is maintaining a vertical position. [/quote]

hmmmmm it states on the UFC website that kicking to the head of a grounded opponent is illegal, but does not break it down into the definition of “grounded.”

In the fight with Lutter, he used an upkick from his back to stun Lutter in to a triangle choke, but i think that was as Lutter was trying to drop into his guard.

I do remember the bout between arlovski and Cruz when Alrovski used a head kick as Cruz was trying to apply a leg hold, as they both lay on the ground. The ref stopped the action for the infraction, and tried to stand it up.

[quote]AdamC wrote:

hmmmmm it states on the UFC website that kicking to the head of a grounded opponent is illegal, but does not break it down into the definition of “grounded.”

In the fight with Lutter, he used an upkick from his back to stun Lutter in to a triangle choke, but i think that was as Lutter was trying to drop into his guard.
[/quote]

Yep.

It is legal to upkick against a guy who is on his feet, but the second he drops onto his knees the upkick is no longer a legal move.

It’s a loophole created by the crappy definition of what constitutes an opponent being ‘downed’. It’s the same loophole that makes it very difficult to throw knees at wrestlers shooting in for a single/double. If you catch the guy before his knees hit the ground, you are golden, but if you catch him after his knees hit the ground you can be disqualified.

Changing the definition of ‘downed’ could go a long way to fixing many of the problems with the unified rules.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
It’s a loophole created by the crappy definition of what constitutes an opponent being ‘downed’. It’s the same loophole that makes it very difficult to throw knees at wrestlers shooting in for a single/double. If you catch the guy before his knees hit the ground, you are golden, but if you catch him after his knees hit the ground you can be disqualified.

Changing the definition of ‘downed’ could go a long way to fixing many of the problems with the unified rules.[/quote]

Agreed. For fighter safety, I am against allowing soccer kicks and stomps. (Also, for PR purposes. The unified rules have made MMA “legitimate,” and I’d like it to stay that way.) But the distinction you note is freaking legalistic.

I would prefer a 3-or-4 points of contact rule. If the knees and an arm/hand are on the ground, no knees or kicks.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
ZEB wrote:
apwsearch wrote:
AdamC wrote:

Also, Silva was not toying with him. You don’t let someone pass and mount you. Silva was in a bit of trouble there. He is outstanding on his feet, and his submission game is solid. But he has been beaten a number of times but I hope it doesn’t happen.

Like Carlos Newton or Jeremy Horn? Both battered by Anderson Silva.

[/quote]

And both champions too! No wait, they’re not are they?

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:

Changing the definition of ‘downed’ could go a long way to fixing many of the problems with the unified rules.[/quote]

Bisping got in trouble for that during his fight with… Crap, don’t remember who, but I think it was on the Ultimate Fighter Finale that year.

SPOILER***********

Herring vs Noguirea?

WTF this fight was fucking stupid could Herring show up in worse shape? I mean he HAD Noguriea with that high kick and Herring made them stand it up when Noguriea could barely stand? Than He came out in the 2nd rounds with his hands down and let Noguriea recover?

Heath Herring looked in terrible shape.

Sherk is a problem. dude is a straight cyborg. although i wasnt impressed with his inability to finish. but man, his conditioning is absolutley insane. he looked crisp as hell even in the fifth round. transitions, takedowns, everything. not even a hint of sloppyness or fatigue. definitley a problem…

[quote]Frank Castle wrote:
Sherk is a problem. dude is a straight cyborg. although i wasnt impressed with his inability to finish. but man, his conditioning is absolutley insane. he looked crisp as hell even in the fifth round. transitions, takedowns, everything. not even a hint of sloppyness or fatigue. definitley a problem…
[/quote]

Yeah I think he could have done more to finish the fight but damn! He could have went 10 rounds easy today it seemed.

I want to see Sherk VS Penn

[quote]Kalle wrote:
SPOILER***********

Herring vs Noguirea?

WTF this fight was fucking stupid could Herring show up in worse shape? I mean he HAD Noguriea with that high kick and Herring made them stand it up when Noguriea could barely stand? Than He came out in the 2nd rounds with his hands down and let Noguriea recover?

Heath Herring looked in terrible shape.[/quote]

As a huge MMA fan, I almost busted into tears when big Nog went down. I really have a feeling that big Nog didn’t train very hard for this fight, he wasn’t anything like in his fedor fights. Thank god Herring is a dumbass and let him come back and win.

Sean is a perfect example of a champion wrestlers mantality. Superhuman conditioning, crazy ass genetics, and he never stops. He didnt let franca breathe at all, yough as hell, fought out of those chokes, applied pressure, amazing. I mean I can’t believe people thought franca was going to beat sherk, sherk does that to everyone.

Herrig almost pulled off a huge upset, but failed to put Big Nog out and then decided to stand up instead of staying on the ground and throwing more punches. I know he’s concerned with Nog’s submission skills, but with him definitely on queer street, he should’ve been more aggressive.

Sherk is a machine. He’s probably the only guy who could power out of the guillotine that Franca had on in the opening moments. He also survived 3 hard knee shots. I don’t see anyone aside from B.J. Penn (the 2 will fight in Nov.) beating him at 155, he’s just too strong.

Ortiz clearly outmatched an overwhelmed Rashad Evans. Tito wasn’t even in typical Tito shape, as he gassed in the third, but he started off the fight strong and clearly had Evans confused when he stuffed the first few takedown attempts. Evans finally got Tito down in the 2nd but walked right into a guillotine that was very close to ending the fight, had it been applied 5-10 seconds earlier, perhaps Evans would’ve tapped. I saw the fight at a sports bar so I didn’t know about the point deduction until the fight was over…seems to me other fighters (Liddell comes to mind) grab the cage and get a warning first, then a point deduction…did Tito get a warning?

Still, even with that, it was pretty clear Rashad was in over his head. Perhaps the 2nd fight will be better, now that he’s had a taste of the big fight atmosphere.

Anderson Silva did what Anderson Silva does, and that’s end fights quickly. Guy is dangerous from all areas. Going to be tough for Franklin to beat him, although fighting in his hometown will help with confidence.

This card sucked. Im glad I saw it for free. Why pay for an overmatched Herring to lose AGAIN to Noguera, Sherk to dominate in a boring fight (he is a beast though and showed what UFC fighters could be like if they trained as seriously as other athletes),

over the hill tito vs the winner of a reality show, and Silva to walk through another opponent? No exciting fights on the evening. The Silva, Sherk, and Noguera fights were showcases at best, not supposed to be competitive

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
…did Tito get a warning?
[/quote]

Yeah, he had a warning a couple minutes earlier.

What’s up with Tito gassing, I was disappointed in that.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Herrig almost pulled off a huge upset, but failed to put Big Nog out and then decided to stand up instead of staying on the ground and throwing more punches. I know he’s concerned with Nog’s submission skills, but with him definitely on queer street, he should’ve been more aggressive.

Sherk is a machine. He’s probably the only guy who could power out of the guillotine that Franca had on in the opening moments. He also survived 3 hard knee shots. I don’t see anyone aside from B.J. Penn (the 2 will fight in Nov.) beating him at 155, he’s just too strong.

Ortiz clearly outmatched an overwhelmed Rashad Evans. Tito wasn’t even in typical Tito shape, as he gassed in the third, but he started off the fight strong and clearly had Evans confused when he stuffed the first few takedown attempts. Evans finally got Tito down in the 2nd but walked right into a guillotine that was very close to ending the fight, had it been applied 5-10 seconds earlier, perhaps Evans would’ve tapped. I saw the fight at a sports bar so I didn’t know about the point deduction until the fight was over…seems to me other fighters (Liddell comes to mind) grab the cage and get a warning first, then a point deduction…did Tito get a warning?

Still, even with that, it was pretty clear Rashad was in over his head. Perhaps the 2nd fight will be better, now that he’s had a taste of the big fight atmosphere.

Anderson Silva did what Anderson Silva does, and that’s end fights quickly. Guy is dangerous from all areas. Going to be tough for Franklin to beat him, although fighting in his hometown will help with confidence.[/quote]

Any information on the Franklin rematch that is supposed to take place in Cincinnati… I am in Louisville and will do all I can to make that one