UFC 72: Victory From Ireland

Although there aren't that many eye popping fights on this card, I think this could be a VERY exciting event. Especially the Tyson Griffin fight, that guy goes out to finish.

Rich Franklin vs Yushin Okami:

Both coming off of big wins but Franklin is on his way back up while Okami has been on a good streak. Although I think Okami will put up a big fight, I think Franklin will win by KO/TKO in the 2nd round.

Hector Ramirez vs Forrest Griffin:

I can’t say I’ve seen Ramirez fight but seeing as how Griffin is out for revenge…I say Griffin by KO 1st round.

Rory Singer vs Jason MacDonald:

Jason MacDonald is a freak and I see him beating Rory with ease. Submission 1st round.

Clay Guida vs Tyson Griffin

For those that don’t know Tyson Griffin…he’s the only person to ever beat Urijah Faber, the WEC featherweight champion. He’s a small but scrappy guy and I see him knocking out Clay.

DON’T MISS THIS CARD GUYS. IT’S LIVE FROM IRELAND SO THE PPV WILL START AT 12 NOON PT/ 3PM ET TIME ON SATURDAY!!! IT SHOULD BE A GOOD ONE

Meh.

Griffin-Guida and Franklin-Okami are the only two fights that interest me on this card. If it were on HBO (as originally planned) or SpikeTV (the backup plan) I would have watched it, but I sure as heck ain’t gonna pay for it.

Mind you, I’m not bashing the UFC. They designed this card for HBO/Spike, not for PPV, and when neither network made a time slot available they had no other choice than to go the PPV route. But the fact remains that this card is a dog by PPV standards.

Who knows, maybe the’ll get lucky and it will turn out like UFN 10, another lackluster card on paper that produced some fantastic fights. But I’m not going to bet $40 on it, nor am I going to blow a sunny Saturday afternoon sitting in front of the boob tube.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Griffin-Guida and Franklin-Okami are the only two fights that interest me on this card.[/quote]

Frankly, I don’t see any of the fights being PPV-worthy.

Okami may have won his last couple of matches, but he’s a class or two below Rich Franklin’s level. Franklin by however he wants it in the 1st round.

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised by this card. Look at the Ultimate Fight Night the other night, not many(if any) big names on it but turned out to be a pretty entertaining evening of fights.

I don’t think I am going to invest 39.95 or whtever it costs. There’s just no one on the card that makes me say, “I have to see him fight”.

The last couple of PPV’s have been less than exciting.

Was going to go to this event but tickets are WAY expensive

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I don’t think I am going to invest 39.95 or whtever it costs. There’s just no one on the card that makes me say, “I have to see him fight”.

[/quote]

Yeah, I’m feeling the same way. this will be the first one I have missed in a long time.

Even if he wins, I just don’t see Franklin coming back to unseat Silva so what’s the point of watching his fight?

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Yeah, I’m feeling the same way. this will be the first one I have missed in a long time.

Even if he wins, I just don’t see Franklin coming back to unseat Silva so what’s the point of watching his fight?[/quote]

Let me get this straight. Since Silva beat Franklin, there’s no point to him even fighting or watching his fights because he might not beat Silva if they fought again? Care to explain your logic to me, I think I may have missed something here.

Basically what you are saying with this post is that once someone has lost their title belt to someone else that you won’t watch any more of their fights. Is that REALLY what you are saying?

Man, you are really reading a lot into my post. Why do you have your panties in such a bunch?!?

I just personally am not that interested in Franklin right now. I think he has a long climb to get back on top.

watching the card and so far it’s proving to be better than most people thought. I think at this point the caliber of the fighters in the UFC is improving by leaps and bounds, even with unknown names.

Herman fight was pretty cool, Guida/ Griffon was a technical brawl.

The Main Event was shit!!!
GOD DAMNIT OKAMI!! Where were you at during the 1st two rounds??

:slight_smile:

Spoilers below

This was a good pay per view, even though I agree on paper the fighters weren’t as impressive.

The Griffon Guida (sp?) fight was a very good one, lots of back and forth, both stand up and on the ground. I felt strongly Guida won 29-28 as did the announcers and Eddie Bravo, but 2 judges scored in favor of Griffon, he was very lucky.

The Forrest fight was pretty good but Forrest wasn’t as aggressive as I wanted him to be. He did what he needed to win but there were times when Ramiriz was pretty rocked and I thought he could have pushed the action a little more. Forrest clearly won that fight.

Rich vs Okami was relatively boring for the first two rounds, Rich won but just because he was a little more aggressive. Third round was exciting, Okami got Rich on his back, mounted him but didn’t do much damage, then got him in a Kamura that looked pretty painful but Rich got out.

I wanted Rich to pound him once he escaped but he looked somewhat gassed, not blaming him but his cardio is normally awesome. Rich won 29-28 on all cards but to me he still doesn’t look like the Rich of old, there is some timidness there now. It will be interesting to see how he does when he goes for the belt as I would imagine he will need his best game to win against either opponent.

Other fights, Herman won and looked very good; MacDonald won, looked bad in the first round and good in the second when he finished it.

I thought this fight was FREE on spike T.V. lol Hell NO would I order this shit for $40.00 on PPV. Maybe only if I’m hella bored but still, fuck that. Thanks though to the guys that did, and gave spoilers. Peace.

Don’t you guys have any friends? Only cost me $8 to watch.

The card lived up to my expectations, which weren’t very high to begin with.

Guida was robbed!

I don’t really know what Okami was doing for the first 2 rounds.

He came into the fight with 6 straight wins, 4 in the UFC. He was talking a really good game and saying how confident and good he was…and then he just didn’t do anything for 10 minutes. He didn’t try a single thing.

As soon as he stepped it up in the 3rd he controlled Rich. It just didn’t make sense. He could have beaten him up the whole fight if you ask me.

I went to the event though initially none of the fights interested me. Atmosphere was excellent and most of the fights were very good ableit the main event which was real lacklustre - i don’t condone booing fighters as they fight the fight the way they see it but it was really poor.
My biggest gripe was that the biggest t-shirts on sale were XL - what a joke - i thiught Americans were huge lol.

Biggest pops were for Forrest Griffin - a likeable guy - also it seemed only Hector Rameriez had the good grace not to call himself Irish lol.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
I don’t really know what Okami was doing for the first 2 rounds.[/quote]

Okami’s recent success has been built on fighting conservatively until the other guy makes a mistake and then pouncing on him. He just happened to run into a guy who had figured that out and based his entire gameplan on picking him apart and not taking any chances.

The end result was a snoozer of a fight, but that is what happens when a cautious fighter runs into a guy with an even more cautious gameplan.

The best thing about this card, is that we are now a little closer to 73, 74, and 75, all of which are AMAZING cards. They look like the cards Pride was pumping out in 2005.

And not mention I get to see my boy Baby J smack Pulver around next Saturday.