UFC 68

Big PPV coming up Saturday, same weekend as the Arnold. Should make for huge crowds at the Expo.

Anyway, what’s everyone’s opinions on the top 3 fights?

Randy Couture vs. Tim Sylvia: Randy Couture is a huge inspiration to me, the reason I got into MMA training and my favorite all-time fighter. That said, he was KO’d in his last two fights (granted they were against Liddell but still, he’d never been dropped before) and Sylvia has a huge size advantage on Randy. If Randy can take some shots from Tim, get in tight, close the distance and work his dirty boxing and then manage a takedown, I think he could pull off a decision win. But, unfortunately, the more likely scenario is Sylvia by KO is Round 2 or 3.

My prediction: Couture by decision (can’t pick against my guy).

Matt Hughes vs. Chris Lytle: Very intersting fight. Good interview over on FoxSports.com with Hughes were he talks about what caused him to lose to GSP. I think we’ll see the Hughes of old here. I like Lytle and thought he won the TUF finale fight against Serra, but I just can’t see him beating Hughes, unless he pulls off a submission from the bottom.

Prediction: Hughes by TKO in Round 2.

Rich Franklin vs. Jason MacDonald: This should be a great fight. Franklin should be motivated following his humbling loss to Anderson Silva, while MacDonald will be out to prove, once again, that he belongs in the UFC. MacDonald has owned ex-TUF guys Ed Herman and Chris Leben, but Franklin is a big step up from that level of competiton. Hopefully Franklin hasn’t overtrained for this fight like he did the Silva fight (he had 2 black eyes days before the fight) and all his injuries are 100 percent healed.

Prediction: Franklin by KO late in Round 1.

Should be a good night of UFC action. Definitely looking forward to watching.

Man, I totally forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder!

Agreed 100% on Randy/Tim.

I think Hughes is going to own Lytle. No way Matt will get subbed. Matt’s Jiu Jitsu is underrated IMO.

Franklin? Truly anything can happen here! Personally, I don’t think Rich will bounce back from the Silva loss. J-Mac by KO.

Yknow I wonder if Timmy has any fans at all. Im borderline ready to sacrifice my firstborn to see him lose. Just not sure if Randy can do it. Not sure how easy it is to get at Timmys head inside his guard at 6’8. Hes definitely not the most dynamic fighter, but hes got a heavy enough hand for a quick KO and apparently a decent sprawl although I cant recall it being truly tested in some time. Pretty sure he wound up on the ground with AA cause of a punch and cant remember what happened when Mir broke his arm so…

[quote]Frank Castle wrote:
Yknow I wonder if Timmy has any fans at all. Im borderline ready to sacrifice my firstborn to see him lose. Just not sure if Randy can do it. Not sure how easy it is to get at Timmys head inside his guard at 6’8. Hes definitely not the most dynamic fighter, but hes got a heavy enough hand for a quick KO and apparently a decent sprawl although I cant recall it being truly tested in some time. Pretty sure he wound up on the ground with AA cause of a punch and cant remember what happened when Mir broke his arm so…[/quote]

Yeah, Sylvia was dropped by a punch by Arlovsky and then was leglocked…in the Mir fight, Sylvia actually took Mir down, then got caught in an armbar and it snapped just as he was picking Mir up to try and slam him down.

I wonder how much cash Dana had to throw at Couture to get him to come back. I love The Natural, but he has had problems with larger fighters in the past. I hope he rips Sylvia’s head off.

I hope Randy opens the ass whoopin’ shop up on Sylvia. But that would set Couture up for a fight with CroCop - I really don’t wat to see that.

I’ll go with Couture on this fight - hoping he’ll retire before he fights the Russian.

As for the Hughes/Lytle fight - I agree, and have said so since the TUF finals, that Lytle beat Serra.

But I don’t think he can beat Hughes. especially not Hughes coming off a loss. I really like Lytle though - he could be a champion.

The Franklin fight is a who gives a shit one for me.

I will be buying UFC 68.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I’ll go with Couture on this fight - hoping he’ll retire before he fights the Russian.
[/quote]

He’s a Croat. Cro Cop is short for “Croatian Cop” from his days as a counter terrorism commando. His real name is Mirko Filipovic.

Tim will jab Randy’s face into a bloody mess. Timmah TKO 4. Goddamnit, I hate picking him to win.

Hughes will be anxious to get his confidence back and take somebody down into the muck. Hughes TKO 2 from elbows on the mat.

Franklin…I don’t know. I’d like to think he’s a mentally tough guy and come out and plaster MacD. So I’ll pick Franklin by a KO Round 1, though there is always the chance that Anderson broke him for good.

MacD will take it!!! Canadians kick ass…

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
rainjack wrote:

He’s a Croat. Cro Cop is short for “Croatian Cop” from his days as a counter terrorism commando. His real name is Mirko Filipovic.[/quote]

Russia - Croatia…I got close. They used to both wave the same flag.

[quote]Frank Castle wrote:
Yknow I wonder if Timmy has any fans at all. Im borderline ready to sacrifice my firstborn to see him lose. Just not sure if Randy can do it. Not sure how easy it is to get at Timmys head inside his guard at 6’8. Hes definitely not the most dynamic fighter, but hes got a heavy enough hand for a quick KO and apparently a decent sprawl although I cant recall it being truly tested in some time. Pretty sure he wound up on the ground with AA cause of a punch and cant remember what happened when Mir broke his arm so…[/quote]

I’m with ya brotha, I wish Timmy would lose, but I’m thinking that Couture has bit off a bit too much in his comeback bid…Sylvia is a large HW, one of the few in the UFC that probably has to cut a couple pounds to make weight. I just don’t know how Randy is going to deal with that size advantage, maybe he could try to outlast Tim and hope he gases so he can score a takedown and pound him out in the fifth. I really hope Randy wins, but I wouldn’t put any money on him.

Hughes should win as well, he is probably reinvigorated after his loss to GSP and he always shows up in shape for a fight. Unless Lytle can catch him with a big shot from the outside early on, Hughes will probably GNP him or submit him.

I’m wondering how Franklin is going to look for this one. McDonald’s striking is pretty horrid, and his takedowns aren’t very strong either, but he has been training with the guys at Jackson’s in New Mexico…that camp puts out some strong fighters with good game plans, maybe Diego has taught him that left hook he used on Riggs. I do think this matchup is tailor-made for Franklin to score a highlight reel knockout, but we’ll have to see if he can regain his old form first.

All-in-all, this card does not look very spectacular…though some of the best cards I’ve watched have not looked good on paper. I’ll watch it, but I can’t say I’ve been looking forward to it.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:

Hopefully Franklin hasn’t overtrained for this fight like he did the Silva fight (he had 2 black eyes days before the
fight)

[/quote]

I guess you haven’t seen the pre-fight video on UFC.com.

Rich is sporting a HUGE shiner that is swelled up. Rich had some discoloration around his eyes before the Silva fight but nothing like the big old hematoma he had under his right eye during that interview.

That said, I can’t recall ever seeing Rich Franklin WITHOUT a black eye or two. I think he is just one of those guys who can get bruised by a stiff wind. As long as the swelling is down by fight night, he should be OK.

I didn’t think this merits it’s own thread so I’ll stick it here. Chuck Liddell was so fucked up from pills and booze and God knows what else on TV today I thought he was going to die:

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=125084&catId=104

“Tommy Morrison.” LMFAO.

As much as I like Couture, I’d rather see him lose just to get a chance to see Mirko put one of those tree trunk upside Silvia’s head and make him eat those bricks in his fists.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I didn’t think this merits it’s own thread so I’ll stick it here. Chuck Liddell was so fucked up from pills and booze and God knows what else on TV today I thought he was going to die:

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=125084&catId=104

“Tommy Morrison.” LMFAO.[/quote]

holy christ. hes loaded on some kind of opiate for sure. wonder if thats a regular thing for him? hope not or hes gonna wind up in the smashing machine part II…

I need suggestions on some kind of voodoo doll/shrine/altar of sacrifice type of thing to help randy kill timmah I mean beat him. they say with prayer all things are possible but prayer plus satan it should really pop off what should i do?

[quote]Donut62 wrote:

I think Chuck just became unavailable for future TV interviews!

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

“Tommy Morrison.” LMFAO.

I think Chuck just became unavailable for future TV interviews![/quote]

That was painful to watch. Too much oxycodone.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:

Good Grief!!!
I have a friend that came out of brain surgery in post-op that had more snap.

Why don’t any of Sylvia’s ‘opponents’ ever try to counteract that monster reach with a couple of rounds of leg kicks?

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

“Tommy Morrison.” LMFAO.

I think Chuck just became unavailable for future TV interviews![/quote]

Holy christ. I know from past UFC interviews Chuck is slightly retarded…but god damn. Tommy Morrison? While your at it why not take on Dolph Lundgren and Mr. T?