UFC 63

Very good event overall and well worth the money.

I think Matt Hughes for someone as confident as he is and as he should be acted a bit like a hissy 12 year-old girl after George St. Pierre’s comment.

SPOILERS BELOW:

BJ Penn was very impressive, too bad he gassed, and probably wasn’t as strict on his training. David Loiseau, I didn’t think he would be effected by his last loss to Franklin but he was very hesitant throughout the fight, too bad.

[quote]EmperialChina wrote:

I think Matt Hughes for someone as confident as he is and as he should be acted a bit like a hissy 12 year-old girl after George St. Pierre’s comment.

SPOILERS BELOW:

BJ Penn was very impressive, too bad he gassed, and probably wasn’t as strict on his training. David Loiseau, I didn’t think he would be effected by his last loss to Franklin but he was very hesitant throughout the fight, too bad.[/quote]

I enoyed the fights. Overall a good showing, even with the heavy weights and that right by Sanchez was devastating.

As for Hughes…i like the guy but he did get dominated up the point where he pinned BJ’s arms. I personally think the fight was stopped a bit early. It could’ve gone a bit longer. No blood was present and Hughes wasn’t landing many punches straight on.

GSP, “I wasn’t impressed with your performance…”

there is nothing disrespective about that statement. Hughes didn’t perform well and GSP was citing his opinion. ig Hughes isn’t able to man up and admit he wasn’t impressive in that fight then ignorance is bliss i guess.

I expect GSP to take the title.

BSims, good post mate.

I am a big GSP fan, I like the mindset that both him and Loiseau bring and besides GSP is just a geninuinely good guy.

I think BJ Penn exposed MAJOR weaknesses in Matt Hughes’ game. Matt Hughes is a great champion there is no doubt, but BJ Penn as much of a richy rich as he may be is a born fighter and probably does indeed have more natural ability (disregarding strength).

GSP had originally said the comments to hype up the upcoming fight, but Matt Hughes can dish it out, but couldn’t take even a light playful but truthful comment…nor could his corner. Penn is no angel either, I remember him kissing Hughes after Hughes’ loss.

Also Penn decided to stop professional fighting before the Hughes fight, and has a huge cardio problem and I think a work ethic issue.

You’re right about Sanchez’s right hand, it was damn impressive, but he shouldn’t pop off at the mouth too much yet he should try that on Sylvia, who’s heavyweight belt has been permanently fused to his waist and he seems to have at all times.

By the way the UFC crowds are usually full of complete boo-hungry douchebags, and what is what the camera shots of girls cheering, and fat guys giving the middle finger.

I was impressed also with BJ’s takedown defense, Matt was trying but couldn’t take BJ down.

Penn looked extremely impressive. It’s rare that Hughes is unable to take someone down.

Penn’s biggest problem has been his conditionning (which is why he lost against GSP) and it was pretty bad at UFC 63. He had Hughes in all kinds of trouble at the end of the 2nd round, yet it was Penn was so gassed at the begining of the 3rd that he couldn’t even get his hands up.

GSP called it right, when he was asked to pick a winner before the fight: If it only goes one or two rounds it’s Penn’s fight. Any longer than that and it would Hughes.

Penn really made Hughes look bad for two rounds… I hope that he keeps fighting. If he can get his condition up to par, he’ll be able to beat Hughes.

All things aside, Hughes was impressive in his ability to stave off those submissions at the end of the second and hang with Penn long enough for him to gas and allow Hughes to take over.

I don’t think the stoppage was too fast, how many unanswered blows was Penn going to take? There was still a full minute left in the round and Penn had no where to go.

I don’t know where Penn goes from here, hopefully it includes the gym at some point. Still my favorite fighter, but that is two fights in a row he’s broken my heart.

Hughes won that fight in the gym, plain and simple. BJ was dazzling those first two rounds, especially his takedown defense. That triangle/armbar was damn close as well. But then he couldn’t even walk back to his corner he was so gassed, and didn’t even hold his hands above his hips the third round. I know he took the fight on short notice, but I don’t know if his work ethic would have brought him to the ring in better shape or not. BJ needs to realize that sitting on your couch eating donuts and smoking weed isn’t a lifestyle conducsive to professional fighting. I still love the guy though.

I think the Hughes-Penn fight was pretty good. Matt absorbed a few good straight shots by BJ, fought off an attempt to take his back and fought off a combination triangle choke armbar. As for alot of people blaming the fact that BJ gassed as the reason he lost, well correct me if I’m wrong here but unless this is TUF all non-championship fights are 3 rounds and championship fight are 5 rounds. If you come ill prepared you’re gonna lose.

Matt flat out beat him, right knee pinned right arm, left arm pinned left arm and then he delivered 22 unanswered shots(rewatch and count it if you don’t believe it). Just prior to the g-n-p tko matt delivered a couple of unanswered combo’s also. To me that add’s up to Matt beating BJ not BJ beating BJ.

bj has some real impresive skills.the guy is crazy flexible.but hughes has heart ,determination and skill and his cardio is on point.people who dont fight have no idea how important that is.

Great event.

BJ vs Matt was just like BJ vs GSP. Penn starts the fight dominating and then runs out of gas. I’m not Penn’s fan, but it still breaks my heart to see so much talent lost to lack of discipline.

I was jumping put of my seat for Hughes to get out of that triangle! Really exciting fight.

Penn made Hughes look very ordinary on his feet in the first round and his takedown defence was pretty awesome. But credit Hughes, he has the heart of a champ and the bottom line is he won fair and square.

Penn basically gave a blueprint for how to beat Hughes…good standup and good takedown defence/ability to get off your back…and of course you need great cardio because getting out from under a beast like Hughes is exhausting and he just keeps on going. But who could do it apart from Penn? Maybe St Pierre.

[quote]BSims wrote:
EmperialChina wrote:

SPOILERS BELOW:

BJ Penn was very impressive, too bad he gassed, and probably wasn’t as strict on his training. David Loiseau, I didn’t think he would be effected by his last loss to Franklin but he was very hesitant throughout the fight, too bad.

I enoyed the fights. Overall a good showing, even with the heavy weights and that right by Sanchez was devastating.

As for Hughes…i like the guy but he did get dominated up the point where he pinned BJ’s arms. I personally think the fight was stopped a bit early. It could’ve gone a bit longer. No blood was present and Hughes wasn’t landing many punches straight on.

there is nothing disrespective about that statement. Hughes didn’t perform well and GSP was citing his opinion. ig Hughes isn’t able to man up and admit he wasn’t impressive in that fight then ignorance is bliss i guess.

[/quote]

Did you find GSP’s performance all that impressive against Penn?

I was impressed also with BJ’s takedown defense, Matt was trying but couldn’t take BJ down.[/quote]

I was impressed as well but wanted Hughes to win as it should ensure a rubber match.

Re: Hughes v. Penn… Damn, damn, damn. A fighter should never lose a fight because he didn’t do enough conditioning pre-fight. The first two rounds were some of the best fighting in any UFC. To see Penn come out exhausted in the 3d round was a real bummer. I wonder what would have happened had he been in better shape.

BJ Penn was very impressive, too bad he gassed, and probably wasn’t as strict on his training. David Loiseau, I didn’t think he would be effected by his last loss to Franklin but he was very hesitant throughout the fight, too bad.[/quote]

[quote]Zeppelin795 wrote:
BSims wrote:

Did you find GSP’s performance all that impressive against Penn?[/quote]

I didnt’ actually. Although I think by points GSP did beat Penn but it certainly wasn’t an impressive victory.

I don’t like Penn all that much but I give him props for being able to not fall into the strength of his opponent.

GSP vs Hughes will be a good fight. Although Hughes won by the arm bar, up to the point that happened I think GSP was ahead.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
Penn basically gave a blueprint for how to beat Hughes…good standup and good takedown defence/ability to get off your back…and of course you need great cardio because getting out from under a beast like Hughes is exhausting and he just keeps on going. But who could do it apart from Penn? Maybe St Pierre.

[/quote]

Yea, and GSP was watching very closely too.

I can’t wait to see that fight.

The seperated ribs explanation puts the fight into more perspective. Penn is known for having cardio issues but it was obvious there was something more to it when he came out for rd 3.

Interviewer:
Take us through the second round.

BJ:
I felt great going in, Matt started trying to take me down from my right leg, it’s something I expected he might do. He got me down against the fence, but I was thinking about this position alot and I was ready. When he went for a big elbow, he missed and I capitalized and started going for his back. At this moment, when I was making the turn towards his back, I felt my ribs seperate on my right side. Although I didn’t know the severity of the situation. I was thinking I have to finish him now because I knew something was wrong. Matt defended himself well and got through the round. When I got up to walk to my corner, I knew something was wrong, but I didn’t want to talk about it with my corner. I wanted to be the champ. I wanted to keep fighting.

[quote]Michael570 wrote:
The seperated ribs explanation puts the fight into more perspective. Penn is known for having cardio issues but it was obvious there was something more to it when he came out for rd 3.

Interviewer:
Take us through the second round.

BJ:
I felt great going in, Matt started trying to take me down from my right leg, it’s something I expected he might do. He got me down against the fence, but I was thinking about this position alot and I was ready. When he went for a big elbow, he missed and I capitalized and started going for his back. At this moment, when I was making the turn towards his back, I felt my ribs seperate on my right side. Although I didn’t know the severity of the situation. I was thinking I have to finish him now because I knew something was wrong. Matt defended himself well and got through the round. When I got up to walk to my corner, I knew something was wrong, but I didn’t want to talk about it with my corner. I wanted to be the champ. I wanted to keep fighting.[/quote]

Not to take anything away from Hughes, but that does seem to make sense. At the end of round 2, he didn’t look like he would have been that tired at the beginning of round 3 without something else going on there (although I understand that holding Hughes in that position would take a lot out of him).

I’m not saying he wouldn’t have been gassed, just that he shouldn’t have been THAT gassed.

A great fight nonetheless.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Not to take anything away from Hughes, but that does seem to make sense. At the end of round 2, he didn’t look like he would have been that tired at the beginning of round 3 without something else going on there (although I understand that holding Hughes in that position would take a lot out of him).

I’m not saying he wouldn’t have been gassed, just that he shouldn’t have been THAT gassed.

A great fight nonetheless.[/quote]

Exactly what I was about to say. The rib injury makes a lot of sense to me – I had a hard time believing that this was 100% a cardio issue.

Great event!
stopped to early?!
Hughes hit him in the head unanswered 44 times some where glancing but come on
I thought they let a couple fights go on a little bit longer than in previous UFC’s
probaly becuase of the whole shamrock/ortiz thing
hopefully Shamrock finnaly retires